1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

New MBP wireless download problem with Verizon

Discussion in 'alt.cellular.verizon' started by Robert Peirce, Jan 6, 2013.

  1. This is random. I have been running a Verizon DSL/Linksys WRT150N
    network for years. Normal speed is about 2.8 down and 0.8 up (Mbps).
    This was on my 2007 MBP and my wife's MacBook and it was both wireless
    and directly connected.

    I just got a new MBP with Mountain Lion and I have been getting random
    slow speeds. Last week I was in Maryland. On my son-in-laws FIOS
    system I got 28.2/22.0 on 12/28 and 8.48/12.3 on 01/01. Unfortunately,
    I didn't try my wife's computer.

    Upon returning to Pittsburgh I was getting download speeds between 0.04
    and 2.8 and upload as low as 0.1 on WiFi. When connected by ethernet I
    got 2.8/0.8 as usual. I tried two new routers (Apple and Belkin) with
    no improvement. Then I tried my wife's computer over Wifi. Still 2.8.
    That suggested something strange in the MBP.

    On speakeasy/speedtest, which shows a moving symbol, I could see that
    the download might run at fairly normal speed and then stop for a while
    before continuing. At other times it was fairly smooth but just plain
    slow, around 1.5. Upload speed was fairly consistent.

    I called Verizon and there were no indicated problems on their end. I
    took it to the local Apple store, which has a T1 line and both computers
    consistently got download speeds on the order of 36 Mbps on WiFi.

    I researched this on the internet and couldn't find anything specific to
    the new MBP. However, there was considerable traffic related to MBPs
    and Verizon DSL problems going back years. I don't know if my problem
    is related to these or unique to me, but I have run out of suggestions.

    I thought it was my router because the problem seems only to occur over
    WiFi. A direct connection to the router or the Verizon modem works
    fine. However, from comments on the net it appears the problem may be
    anywhere between the modem and the computer. If anybody has encountered
    a similar problem and solved it I sure would like to know what to do!
     



    › See More: New MBP wireless download problem with Verizon
  2. On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 14:59:22 -0500, Robert Peirce
    <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

    >This is random. I have been running a Verizon DSL/Linksys WRT150N
    >network for years. Normal speed is about 2.8 down and 0.8 up (Mbps).
    >This was on my 2007 MBP and my wife's MacBook and it was both wireless
    >and directly connected.
    >
    >I just got a new MBP with Mountain Lion and I have been getting random
    >slow speeds. Last week I was in Maryland. On my son-in-laws FIOS
    >system I got 28.2/22.0 on 12/28 and 8.48/12.3 on 01/01. Unfortunately,
    >I didn't try my wife's computer.
    >
    >Upon returning to Pittsburgh I was getting download speeds between 0.04
    >and 2.8 and upload as low as 0.1 on WiFi. When connected by ethernet I
    >got 2.8/0.8 as usual. I tried two new routers (Apple and Belkin) with
    >no improvement. Then I tried my wife's computer over Wifi. Still 2.8.
    >That suggested something strange in the MBP.
    >
    >On speakeasy/speedtest, which shows a moving symbol, I could see that
    >the download might run at fairly normal speed and then stop for a while
    >before continuing. At other times it was fairly smooth but just plain
    >slow, around 1.5. Upload speed was fairly consistent.
    >
    >I called Verizon and there were no indicated problems on their end. I
    >took it to the local Apple store, which has a T1 line and both computers
    >consistently got download speeds on the order of 36 Mbps on WiFi.
    >
    >I researched this on the internet and couldn't find anything specific to
    >the new MBP. However, there was considerable traffic related to MBPs
    >and Verizon DSL problems going back years. I don't know if my problem
    >is related to these or unique to me, but I have run out of suggestions.
    >
    >I thought it was my router because the problem seems only to occur over
    >WiFi. A direct connection to the router or the Verizon modem works
    >fine. However, from comments on the net it appears the problem may be
    >anywhere between the modem and the computer. If anybody has encountered
    >a similar problem and solved it I sure would like to know what to do!


    This is the Verizon Cellular group, not landline/DSL/FIOS. You might
    want to post about your issue at http://www.dslreports.com. You're
    more likely to find assistance there.
     
  3. In article <5r4ke8pliushgjquhcitdk52vo9n9qqst6@4ax.com>,
    The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:

    > This is the Verizon Cellular group, not landline/DSL/FIOS. You might
    > want to post about your issue at http://www.dslreports.com. You're
    > more likely to find assistance there.


    Sorry but this is Verizon specific and this is the only group where I
    have access that specifically mentions Verizon. Nobody is required to
    responf if they don't have a solution.
     
  4. Paul Miner

    Paul Miner Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 23:05:23 -0500, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <5r4ke8pliushgjquhcitdk52vo9n9qqst6@4ax.com>,
    > The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
    >
    >> This is the Verizon Cellular group, not landline/DSL/FIOS. You might
    >> want to post about your issue at http://www.dslreports.com. You're
    >> more likely to find assistance there.

    >
    >Sorry but this is Verizon specific and this is the only group where I
    >have access that specifically mentions Verizon. Nobody is required to
    >responf if they don't have a solution.


    Your issue is wireless specific, not Verizon specific. You can get
    assistance over in alt.internet.wireless.

    They'll probably have you check for and rule out some common forms of
    interference and then run some tests using jPerf or iPerf to see what your
    connection is actually capable of.

    --
    Paul Miner
     
  5. tlvp

    tlvp Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 23:05:23 -0500, Robert Peirce wrote:

    > In article <5r4ke8pliushgjquhcitdk52vo9n9qqst6@4ax.com>,
    > The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
    >
    >> This is the Verizon Cellular group, not landline/DSL/FIOS. You might
    >> want to post about your issue at http://www.dslreports.com. You're
    >> more likely to find assistance there.

    >
    > Sorry but this is Verizon specific and this is the only group where I
    > have access that specifically mentions Verizon. Nobody is required to
    > responf if they don't have a solution.


    You can't raise alt.online-service.verizon ? Even on (spit!) Google Groups?
    You'll probably find friendlier, more helpful, folks there :) .

    HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp
    --
    Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.
     
  6. In article <18fhgqwhsfq5l$.1peuxw7q2uiyf.dlg@40tude.net>,
    tlvp <mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net> wrote:

    > You can't raise alt.online-service.verizon ? Even on (spit!) Google Groups?
    > You'll probably find friendlier, more helpful, folks there :) .



    Not on Aieo. Maybe I need another news provider.

    Be that as it may, my apologies for posting to this group. I seemed to
    be having problems with Verizon and this was the only group to which I
    have access that has anything to do with Verizon.

    However, I have been getting some feedback and have done some web
    searches and it appears the problem may be with the MBP itself and
    Verizon just aggravates it.
     
  7. tlvp

    tlvp Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:29:57 -0500, Robert Peirce wrote:

    >> ... alt.online-service.verizon ? ...

    >
    > Not on Aieo. Maybe I need another news provider.


    Have you tried Eternal September (free -- http://www.eternal-september.org
    for info)? Cheers, -- tlvp
    --
    Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.
     

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.


Forgot your password?