1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

NEWS: Get Ready for a Wireless Carrier War

Discussion in 'alt.cellular.verizon' started by PDA Man, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Re: Get Ready for a Wireless Carrier War

    In alt.cellular.verizon Doru Roll <doruroll@optonline.net> wrote:

    > With WLNP the "need" for a wired phone is truly gone.


    Except if you happen to have SBC DSL. SBC won't just sell you
    DSL service: you MUST have a land-line number. You might be
    thinking, "Well, of course you need a land-line since DSL runs
    over the same copper." Except there's a difference between the
    copper and the *number* assigned to the copper. It's certainly
    possible to have DSL on a copper pair with no phone number
    assigned to it (I used to have this with Northpoint before they
    went bankrupt).

    And, for me, cable-based broadband isn't an option because they
    don't offer static IPs (not to mention cable companies'
    Draconian TOS policies).

    So, for now, I'm sorta of stuck with my land-line.

    - Paul



    › See More: NEWS: Get Ready for a Wireless Carrier War
  2. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Re: Get Ready for a Wireless Carrier War

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <ksn6b.10194$cj1.9170@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com> on Sat, 06 Sep 2003
    15:56:00 GMT, "Paul J. Lucas" <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> wrote:

    >In alt.cellular.verizon Doru Roll <doruroll@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    >> With WLNP the "need" for a wired phone is truly gone.

    >
    > Except if you happen to have SBC DSL. SBC won't just sell you
    > DSL service: you MUST have a land-line number. You might be
    > thinking, "Well, of course you need a land-line since DSL runs
    > over the same copper." Except there's a difference between the
    > copper and the *number* assigned to the copper. It's certainly
    > possible to have DSL on a copper pair with no phone number
    > assigned to it (I used to have this with Northpoint before they
    > went bankrupt).
    >
    > And, for me, cable-based broadband isn't an option because they
    > don't offer static IPs (not to mention cable companies'
    > Draconian TOS policies).
    >
    > So, for now, I'm sorta of stuck with my land-line.


    Not really. Transfer the DSL to a number you don't care about on the lowest
    possible cost service, and then move your current landline number elsewhere.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  3. Phillipe

    Phillipe Guest

    In article <vljsj2j1n2mb97@corp.supernews.com>,
    pcsguy@bellsouthNOSPAM.net (SprintPCS Tech) wrote:

    > This is going to be the biggest nightmare for ANYONE in the wireless
    > telecom industry, even phone manufacturers.
    >
    > This is taking place just in time for the holiday season, every provicer
    > will see insanely high churn rates, but will also see high new
    > activation rates.
    >
    > All hell is going to break loose for roughly 3 months, and it will
    > dwindle down over the next 1-2 years as people get out of their
    > contraces.
    >
    > BUT - hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Customer
    > servcie on all aspects SHOULD improve,


    You might think, but its not what I expect. With carriers giving better
    promotions and bigger discounts to corporations, they will lose income,
    and SprintPCS is already a money losing venture cutting corners in
    Customer Service. I see no indication (other than a press release) that
    SprintPCS is improving Cusotmer Relations.



    > since it seems to be one of the
    > leading causes of people leaving. In store and out of store service
    > should get better, companies will also concentrate more on keeping
    > current customers along with trying to snag current customers from other
    > carriers.
    >
    > Since its almost to the point in the US that whoever can get a wireless
    > phone and wants one, already has one, so new customers (not from other
    > carriers) will be at a minimum.
    >
    > I think in the end it will be great for consumers.
    >
    > [posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
  4. Phillipe Thought for a moment, Smiled, and then wrote:


    > In article <vljsj2j1n2mb97@corp.supernews.com>,
    > pcsguy@bellsouthNOSPAM.net (SprintPCS Tech) wrote:
    >
    >
    >>This is going to be the biggest nightmare for ANYONE in the wireless
    >>telecom industry, even phone manufacturers.
    >>
    >>This is taking place just in time for the holiday season, every provicer
    >>will see insanely high churn rates, but will also see high new
    >>activation rates.
    >>
    >>All hell is going to break loose for roughly 3 months, and it will
    >>dwindle down over the next 1-2 years as people get out of their
    >>contraces.
    >>
    >>BUT - hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Customer
    >>servcie on all aspects SHOULD improve,

    >
    >
    > You might think, but its not what I expect. With carriers giving better
    > promotions and bigger discounts to corporations, they will lose income,
    > and SprintPCS is already a money losing venture cutting corners in
    > Customer Service. I see no indication (other than a press release) that
    > SprintPCS is improving Cusotmer Relations.


    However I think they are going to pick up business courting BIG business.
    My employer just recently announced a NEW contract awarded to Sprint, for ALL
    phone services (wireless, landline, LD etc..pretty much company wide, for ALL
    divisions.
    --




    ~\\|//~
    -(o o)-
    ___________oOOOo--(_)--oOOOo___________
    [ Michael Arends ]
    | ----------------------- |
    | mlarends@earthlink.net |
    | .oooO Oooo. |
    [_____________( )---( )_____________]
    \ ( ) /
    \_) (_/
  5. Phillipe

    Phillipe Guest

    In article <pmo6b.1095$PE6.119@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    "Michael L. Arends" <mlarends@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Phillipe Thought for a moment, Smiled, and then wrote:
    >
    >
    > > In article <vljsj2j1n2mb97@corp.supernews.com>,
    > > pcsguy@bellsouthNOSPAM.net (SprintPCS Tech) wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>This is going to be the biggest nightmare for ANYONE in the wireless
    > >>telecom industry, even phone manufacturers.
    > >>
    > >>This is taking place just in time for the holiday season, every provicer
    > >>will see insanely high churn rates, but will also see high new
    > >>activation rates.
    > >>
    > >>All hell is going to break loose for roughly 3 months, and it will
    > >>dwindle down over the next 1-2 years as people get out of their
    > >>contraces.
    > >>
    > >>BUT - hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Customer
    > >>servcie on all aspects SHOULD improve,

    > >
    > >
    > > You might think, but its not what I expect. With carriers giving better
    > > promotions and bigger discounts to corporations, they will lose income,
    > > and SprintPCS is already a money losing venture cutting corners in
    > > Customer Service. I see no indication (other than a press release) that
    > > SprintPCS is improving Cusotmer Relations.

    >
    > However I think they are going to pick up business courting BIG business.
    > My employer just recently announced a NEW contract awarded to Sprint, for ALL
    > phone services (wireless, landline, LD etc..pretty much company wide, for ALL
    > divisions.


    The thing is, over in England where portability has been around for a
    while, the AVERAGE business discount is 50%, because of the willingness
    of businesses to change carriers.
  6. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I still don't think it is going to start until the first of the year
    -- Decemeber is just TOO busy in the wireless world to let it happen
    during that time of year. The FCC is suppose issue the final
    guidelines later this month. I heard that VZ & AWS were the only two
    carriers prepared to do LNP. Then, of course, the worst thing for a
    carrier if they are NOT ready is to be fined by the FCC.
  7. Re: Get Ready for a Wireless Carrier War

    I have SBC DSL, and they adv. that I have to have SBC phone service for
    the DSL to work. If I read your message correct your saying to transfer
    the phone service to another company is that right?

    John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in article
    <h%n6b.19078$dk4.603631@typhoon.sonic.net>:
    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <ksn6b.10194$cj1.9170@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com> on Sat, 06 Sep 2003
    > 15:56:00 GMT, "Paul J. Lucas" <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In alt.cellular.verizon Doru Roll <doruroll@optonline.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> With WLNP the "need" for a wired phone is truly gone.

    > >
    > > Except if you happen to have SBC DSL. SBC won't just sell you
    > > DSL service: you MUST have a land-line number. You might be
    > > thinking, "Well, of course you need a land-line since DSL runs
    > > over the same copper." Except there's a difference between the
    > > copper and the *number* assigned to the copper. It's certainly
    > > possible to have DSL on a copper pair with no phone number
    > > assigned to it (I used to have this with Northpoint before they
    > > went bankrupt).
    > >
    > > And, for me, cable-based broadband isn't an option because they
    > > don't offer static IPs (not to mention cable companies'
    > > Draconian TOS policies).
    > >
    > > So, for now, I'm sorta of stuck with my land-line.

    >
    > Not really. Transfer the DSL to a number you don't care about on the lowest
    > possible cost service, and then move your current landline number elsewhere.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>


    [posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
  8. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <pfilm-BEFEB6.13392506092003@news06.east.earthlink.net> on Sat, 06 Sep 2003
    18:39:19 GMT, Phillipe <pfilm@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >The thing is, over in England where portability has been around for a
    >while, the AVERAGE business discount is 50%, because of the willingness
    >of businesses to change carriers.


    The big difference is that in England, businesses can change carriers while
    keeping the same phones (just issue new SIMs), whereas here in the USA it
    often takes all-new phones.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  9. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Re: Get Ready for a Wireless Carrier War

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <vlkj76l79d314f@corp.supernews.com> on Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:08:54 -0000,
    rdm_24@go.com (Brian peterson) wrote:

    >John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in article
    ><h%n6b.19078$dk4.603631@typhoon.sonic.net>:
    >>
    >> In <ksn6b.10194$cj1.9170@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com> on Sat, 06 Sep 2003
    >> 15:56:00 GMT, "Paul J. Lucas" <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In alt.cellular.verizon Doru Roll <doruroll@optonline.net> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> With WLNP the "need" for a wired phone is truly gone.
    >> >
    >> > Except if you happen to have SBC DSL. SBC won't just sell you
    >> > DSL service: you MUST have a land-line number. You might be
    >> > thinking, "Well, of course you need a land-line since DSL runs
    >> > over the same copper." Except there's a difference between the
    >> > copper and the *number* assigned to the copper. It's certainly
    >> > possible to have DSL on a copper pair with no phone number
    >> > assigned to it (I used to have this with Northpoint before they
    >> > went bankrupt).
    >> >
    >> > And, for me, cable-based broadband isn't an option because they
    >> > don't offer static IPs (not to mention cable companies'
    >> > Draconian TOS policies).
    >> >
    >> > So, for now, I'm sorta of stuck with my land-line.

    >>
    >> Not really. Transfer the DSL to a number you don't care about on the lowest
    >> possible cost service, and then move your current landline number elsewhere.


    >I have SBC DSL, and they adv. that I have to have SBC phone service for
    >the DSL to work. If I read your message correct your saying to transfer
    >the phone service to another company is that right?


    No, just a different number at the lowest possible SBC price.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  10. Re: Get Ready for a Wireless Carrier War

    --
    Don't worry, Be Happy!


    John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in article
    <wMs6b.19155$dk4.605149@typhoon.sonic.net>:
    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <vlkj76l79d314f@corp.supernews.com> on Sat, 06 Sep 2003 21:08:54 -0000,
    > rdm_24@go.com (Brian peterson) wrote:
    >
    > >John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in article
    > ><h%n6b.19078$dk4.603631@typhoon.sonic.net>:
    > >>
    > >> In <ksn6b.10194$cj1.9170@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com> on Sat, 06 Sep 2003
    > >> 15:56:00 GMT, "Paul J. Lucas" <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >In alt.cellular.verizon Doru Roll <doruroll@optonline.net> wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> >> With WLNP the "need" for a wired phone is truly gone.
    > >> >
    > >> > Except if you happen to have SBC DSL. SBC won't just sell you
    > >> > DSL service: you MUST have a land-line number. You might be
    > >> > thinking, "Well, of course you need a land-line since DSL runs
    > >> > over the same copper." Except there's a difference between the
    > >> > copper and the *number* assigned to the copper. It's certainly
    > >> > possible to have DSL on a copper pair with no phone number
    > >> > assigned to it (I used to have this with Northpoint before they
    > >> > went bankrupt).
    > >> >
    > >> > And, for me, cable-based broadband isn't an option because they
    > >> > don't offer static IPs (not to mention cable companies'
    > >> > Draconian TOS policies).
    > >> >
    > >> > So, for now, I'm sorta of stuck with my land-line.
    > >>
    > >> Not really. Transfer the DSL to a number you don't care about on the lowest
    > >> possible cost service, and then move your current landline number elsewhere.

    >
    > >I have SBC DSL, and they adv. that I have to have SBC phone service for
    > >the DSL to work. If I read your message correct your saying to transfer
    > >the phone service to another company is that right?

    >
    > No, just a different number at the lowest possible SBC price.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>


    [posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
  11. Phillipe

    Phillipe Guest

    In article <QLs6b.19154$dk4.605134@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <pfilm-BEFEB6.13392506092003@news06.east.earthlink.net> on Sat, 06 Sep 2003
    > 18:39:19 GMT, Phillipe <pfilm@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The thing is, over in England where portability has been around for a
    > >while, the AVERAGE business discount is 50%, because of the willingness
    > >of businesses to change carriers.

    >
    > The big difference is that in England, businesses can change carriers while
    > keeping the same phones (just issue new SIMs), whereas here in the USA it
    > often takes all-new phones.


    I thought the carriers were "locking" phones so simple SIM swaps
    wouldn't work?
  12. norelpref

    norelpref Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:48:35 GMT, "Paul J. Lucas"
    <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> said:
    >
    > But, at least with Sprint, they won't activate a phone they
    > didn't originally sell for their service on their network.
    >
    > - Paul


    I thought all carriers had that policy.
  13. In alt.cellular.verizon norelpref <norelpref@fake.inv> wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:48:35 GMT, "Paul J. Lucas"
    > <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> said:
    >>
    >> But, at least with Sprint, they won't activate a phone they
    >> didn't originally sell for their service on their network.


    Verizon will activate any tri-mode phone.

    - Paul
  14. Re: Get Ready for a Wireless Carrier War

    In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    > In <ksn6b.10194$cj1.9170@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com> on Sat, 06 Sep 2003
    > 15:56:00 GMT, "Paul J. Lucas" <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Except if you happen to have SBC DSL. SBC won't just sell you
    >> DSL service: you MUST have a land-line number. You might be
    >> thinking, "Well, of course you need a land-line since DSL runs
    >> over the same copper." Except there's a difference between the
    >> copper and the *number* assigned to the copper. It's certainly
    >> possible to have DSL on a copper pair with no phone number
    >> assigned to it (I used to have this with Northpoint before they
    >> went bankrupt).
    >>
    >> And, for me, cable-based broadband isn't an option because they
    >> don't offer static IPs (not to mention cable companies'
    >> Draconian TOS policies).
    >>
    >> So, for now, I'm sorta of stuck with my land-line.

    >
    > Not really. Transfer the DSL to a number you don't care about on the lowest
    > possible cost service, and then move your current landline number elsewhere.


    Uhm, but the point was to get rid of the land-line entirely,
    not to move it elsewhere.

    - Paul
  15. "norelpref" <norelpref@fake.inv> wrote in message
    news:9t1llvcdn0g378osub5ames4j4lta77121@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:48:35 GMT, "Paul J. Lucas"
    > <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> said:
    > > But, at least with Sprint, they won't activate a phone they
    > > didn't originally sell for their service on their network.


    > I thought all carriers had that policy.


    My understanding was that the GSM carriers (T-Mobile, AT&T Wireless, and
    Cingular) will indeed activate an arbitrary GSM phone. However, each of these
    carriers SIM-locks each phone it sells or gives away itself, in order to help
    ensure sufficient service revenue to offset the phone's price subsidy.

    Does anyone have contrary information?
  16. Male Bomb

    Male Bomb Guest

    Not totally true there are TDMA tri-mode phones. Also trying to get
    another carriers phone activated can be a bitch as you may need the lock
    code and the previous carrier may not release it. Go buy a SPCS trimode
    CDMA phone and see how it goes getting it activated on VZW... MB

    "Paul J. Lucas" <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> wrote in article
    <_5w6b.10454$DD7.1561@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>:
    > In alt.cellular.verizon norelpref <norelpref@fake.inv> wrote:
    > > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:48:35 GMT, "Paul J. Lucas"
    > > <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> said:
    > >>
    > >> But, at least with Sprint, they won't activate a phone they
    > >> didn't originally sell for their service on their network.

    >
    > Verizon will activate any tri-mode phone.
    >
    > - Paul


    [posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
  17. In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Male Bomb <malebomb@comcast.net> wrote:
    > Not totally true there are TDMA tri-mode phones. Also trying to get
    > another carriers phone activated can be a bitch as you may need the lock
    > code and the previous carrier may not release it. Go buy a SPCS trimode
    > CDMA phone and see how it goes getting it activated on VZW... MB


    Ahhhhh, but I have come up with an easy way to social-engineer the MSL
    code from Sprint's customer service reps. :)

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & Multimedia Services
    22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
    Steve Sobol, Proprietor
    888.480.4NET (4638) * 248.724.4NET * sjsobol@JustThe.net
  18. Mike Callery

    Mike Callery Guest

    Your entirely correct. For the most part, you cannot take a Sprint or
    Verizon phone and switch carriers with them. There are ways to re-burn the
    chip to make it work, but no one is going to tell you that - they are all
    going to require a new phone.

    Sprint wins in this category, my opinion, because you can pretty much find a
    Sprint phone on eBay, get it home and hit the Sprint website to change your
    phone over to a new model.

    Switching between carriers with the same phone, however, isn't going to
    work.


    "Male Bomb" <malebomb@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:vllbcdfm1m2850@corp.supernews.com...
    > Not totally true there are TDMA tri-mode phones. Also trying to get
    > another carriers phone activated can be a bitch as you may need the lock
    > code and the previous carrier may not release it. Go buy a SPCS trimode
    > CDMA phone and see how it goes getting it activated on VZW... MB
    >
    > "Paul J. Lucas" <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> wrote in article
    > <_5w6b.10454$DD7.1561@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>:
    > > In alt.cellular.verizon norelpref <norelpref@fake.inv> wrote:
    > > > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:48:35 GMT, "Paul J. Lucas"
    > > > <pjl.removethis@removethistoo.mac.com> said:
    > > >>
    > > >> But, at least with Sprint, they won't activate a phone they
    > > >> didn't originally sell for their service on their network.

    > >
    > > Verizon will activate any tri-mode phone.
    > >
    > > - Paul

    >
    > [posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
  19. Male Bomb

    Male Bomb Guest

    Yeah didn't you have a huge problem with a 6185 nokia? Was there a
    problem with the PRL? MB

    Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in article
    <_JGdnZ8w17ahMseiU-KYvw@lmi.net>:
    > In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Male Bomb <malebomb@comcast.net> wrote:
    > > Not totally true there are TDMA tri-mode phones. Also trying to get
    > > another carriers phone activated can be a bitch as you may need the lock
    > > code and the previous carrier may not release it. Go buy a SPCS trimode
    > > CDMA phone and see how it goes getting it activated on VZW... MB

    >
    > Ahhhhh, but I have come up with an easy way to social-engineer the MSL
    > code from Sprint's customer service reps. :)
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & Multimedia Services
    > 22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
    > Steve Sobol, Proprietor
    > 888.480.4NET (4638) * 248.724.4NET * sjsobol@JustThe.net


    [posted via phonescoop.com - free web access to the alt.cellular groups]
  20. In alt.cellular Male Bomb <malebomb@comcast.net> wrote:
    > Yeah didn't you have a huge problem with a 6185 nokia? Was there a
    > problem with the PRL? MB


    There was a problem with VZW's computers refusing to put a PRL on the
    phone because they didn't recognize its (Alltel) ESN. The phone does run
    fine on VZW's network; Comtel Cellular, a VZW authorized retailer in
    the Cleveland area, used to sell them at their kiosk at the Great Lakes
    Mall.

    I did note that the 6185 did have fewer signal issues running on Alltel,
    even though the store tech flashed the phone with VZW firmware. (At least
    I assumed they did. If not, that might partially explain the phone's
    poorer performance on VZW's network.)

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & Multimedia Services
    22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
    Steve Sobol, Proprietor
    888.480.4NET (4638) * 248.724.4NET * sjsobol@JustThe.net

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.


Forgot your password?