1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

No Attachments on Verizon Text Messages.. Help

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by btthevoice, Aug 5, 2009.

1. btthevoice

btthevoice New Member

I'm hoping that I can unearth some creativity here.. as I'm sure there are great minds lurking.
    I'm writing software for a Vehicle Dispatching office. The software in short, will send driving directions to cell phones via SMS.
    Since we've already run up against the 160 (or so) character limit for text messages, (our directions are very often over 160 chars), we've tried sending a text message with another text message attached. This idea seems to work fine for T-mobile, AT&T and Sprint, but as most of you likely already know, not for Verizon. Each transmission results in the text message being received, but then (attachment removed) is also displayed. I was on the phone with Verizon tech support for 20 minutes asking how to get around this without success. We are sending these messages via an email client (ex:4157231234 at vtext dot com).
    We have tried breaking the message up onto smaller chunks and sending them rapid-fire to the cell, but that seems like a "clunky" way to do it.
    If there is any creative juice flowing out there, I'm open to some of it.

› See More: No Attachments on Verizon Text Messages.. Help

2. cybiko123

cybiko123 Active Member

Have you tried sending the message as an MMS instead? MMS has a limit of 1,000 characters, which should most likely meet your needs. You can also attach various media formats (maybe you could use that to send a map).

To send an MMS to a VZW customer, send an email to phonenumber@vzwpix.com.
    2 people like this.
  3. btthevoice

btthevoice New Member

this was suggested by another user, but when I attempted to send to that address, he never got the message.
    I will try with several others to be sure it wasn't just a fluke with his phone.
    Thanks
  4. cybiko123

cybiko123 Active Member

OK. Just make sure that there is a subject line in the email, or, like you have noticed, the message may not arrive.
  5. btthevoice

btthevoice New Member

I am very encouraged. It worked with 2 user's phones that I happen to be able to snag.
    Is this ability unique in any way, or might I expect that MMS is something that is readable on MOST Verizon phones?

BTW: if anyone reading this is on Verizon and would like to allow me to send them a test message regarding all this, I'd really appreciate the help. If so, send your name and number to me on my PM.
    NO OTHER USE WILL BE MADE OF YOUR NUMBER !
  6. cybiko123

cybiko123 Active Member

I can't say all phones, but most phones that people would use today have this ability.
  7. btthevoice

btthevoice New Member

yep.. thanks
  8. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

It won't work with users who do not have a picture phone. Instead, they'll receive the message online...in Verizon's pix place.
    1 person likes this.
  9. btthevoice

btthevoice New Member

so then the phone MUST have a camera, or is another functionality required?
  10. RINGTONES RULE

RINGTONES RULE New Member

I attempted sending myself a favorite ringtone from my computer's music files about 15 different times. Using at least 5 different email/text messaging addresses I found for Verizon and finally found 2 that work. (I have a PREPAID Verizon plan with Samsung cell.)

You may have to try this several times. BE SURE TO PUT A SUBJECT IN THE SUBJECT LINE WHEN YOU EMAIL RINGTONE TO YOUR CELL # ! This is VERY important step. I used a name from my contacts, and ironically it worked.

BE SURE to put your area code also. Then type all ten cell phone digits (no spaces). Example: 5551234567@vzwpix.com. And people with other carriers can try: 5551234567@tmomail.net

By the way, Verizon prepaid is far cheaper than a Verizon CONTRACT and without sneaky fees/ charges... and is never over $50 a month.) Reception just as good. Some phones better than others naturally. Downside is the phones aren't the best quality. Mine even has internet & a slide out keyboard. ;)
    1 person likes this.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?