1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Okay, Sick Of My Voyager... Is There A Voyager-2 On The Way Soon?

Discussion in 'LG Voyager' started by the2ndflood, Jan 16, 2009.

1. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

After using the Voyager for several months now, I have run into the same types of problems I always seem to run into; where the phone basically just Bugs-Out. The Voyager is still a great phone, but I'm realizing more and more that it is really dated now. Does anyone know if Verizon is going to be getting a Voyager version 2 soon? Or even some other Query Non-PDA phone?
    The only LG thing I can find in the near future is yet another Touch-Screen Dare; which is pointless on so many levels.
    99% of Verizon's new phones don't even have EV-DO Rev.A on them. And others don't have full HTML browsers. I'm thinking about leaving if I can't get a replacement for my Voyager. And I'm not spending another $30 to use a PDA with Verizon, when I can just use an Unlocked PDA on AT&T for less. I HATE AT&T, but I hate not having any decent phone options from Verizon more.

› See More: Okay, Sick Of My Voyager... Is There A Voyager-2 On The Way Soon?

2. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

I have not heard of anything coming down the line anytime soon to either upgrade or replace the voyager.
  3. laxisok123

laxisok123 New Member

theirs about one of these threads every month..No i haven't heard anything yet lol
  4. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

The Voyager is one of the "luck of the draw" devices.

It is an incredible phone, but I personally have upgraded from it recently, not due to lack of quality.

I have not heard of a Voyager 2, and I work with a major company who would be the first to know.

Also, there are many devices that are EV-DO Rev. A, but most are O. You really cannot notice a difference when using the phone's internet. You would mainly notice a difference if you tethered your phone for use as a modem. If you don't tether, then the A service isn't necessary.
  5. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

Well, I guess the only thing that can be done is to contact both Verizon and LG USA through their Executive Relations dept's. They won't give out any details, but it can nag them into moving into the right direction. I have done this before and the companies have made changes. I will post some links just in case there is others that also want LG to make a Voyager-2. Maybe if enough people nag, then hopefully something will happen. I really wish Verizon used R-UIM (AKA SIM) cards already. It's like the USA is just stuck in time when it comes to a lot of the major wireless technologies used elsewhere. Which is insane, seeing as it was Motorola who invented the very first cell phone and built the first network in the USA; so we should be more ahead then we currently are.

These sites are good for this because they allow you to post reviews, comments and even questions. If you do post a suggestion for LG And/Or Verizon, be polite and don't demand anything. And if your going to make a suggestion, then it is better to be direct with your comments. So saying something like "Please add EV-DO Rev. A."; is better then just saying something broad like "Make the phone faster."
    PlanetFeedback: Voice of One, Power of Many
    My3cents.com - Let your voice be heard! Consumer Reviews, Complaints and more...
    Customer Service - Consumer Complaints
  6. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

Actually, there are a few things switched in this thread.

CDMA, the kind of technology that doesn't use SIM Cards, is somewhat newer than GSM. GSM carriers are more new in the USA, but worldwide, GSM has been used and is outdated. In Europe, they switched to WCDMA in most parts which is similar to GSM and CDMA. It features SIM Cards but has excellent call quality. GSM does suffer when it comes to call quality.

GSM has been used for decades worldwide. It was one of the first methods of mobily communicating during many of the wars. It wasn't as advanced, but it had the same ideas at heart. CDMA has been around a decade here and hasn't really expanded Globally, yet...but many counties are slowly converting.

China, the Global Leader in wireless, has recently revamped 80% of their wireless companies to the newer CDMA. They still have some forms of GSM. Vietnam recently launched their very first CDMA network.

CDMA has been proven to be much more reliable and has more chances of expansion in the future. Yes, it is more expensive to own and operate, so you see it taking longer.

Also, if I haven't heard of the device your wanting, the Voyager 2, by now...it won't be here for a year at least.

Also keep in mind that the USA has a lot more safety regulations than other countries. This means expansion is slower.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  7. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

Nicknrm
    CDMA, the kind of technology that doesn't use SIM Cards, is somewhat newer than GSM. GSM carriers are more new in the USA, but worldwide, GSM has been used and is outdated. In Europe, they switched to WCDMA in most parts which is similar to GSM and CDMA. It features SIM Cards but has excellent call quality. GSM does suffer when it comes to call quality.

The2ndflood CDMA carriers can use a SIM card called R-UIM. These cards are used mainly in Asian. And CDMA was actually invented during World War 2 by the Allies; where-as GSM was mainly setup in the 80's.

Nicknrm
    GSM has been used for decades worldwide. It was one of the first methods of mobily communicating during many of the wars. It wasn't as advanced, but it had the same ideas at heart. CDMA has been around a decade here and hasn't really expanded Globally, yet...but many counties are slowly converting.

The2ndflood GSM is the main standard because the EU didn't allow for carriers to use anything else. They wanted a standard that would allow a person to drive from one part of Europe, to another, still able to make and receive calls. This lead to it being adopted by other carriers.

Nicknrm
    China, the Global Leader in wireless, has recently revamped 80% of their wireless companies to the newer CDMA. They still have some forms of GSM. Vietnam recently launched their very first CDMA network.

The2ndflood China is pushing ahead to use their own standard. Like newer standards, they used the CDMA method in their own wireless technology. China is not a world leader in wireless, unless your just considering the number of customers. China's wireless market is still using a lot of old phones that have not been used elsewhere for years. The main reason why China is trying to advance ahead, is because they think a Country is defined by innovation. All of the major counties on earth have added new technologies to the world, but China is still far, far behind that curb. And they are only now within the past 10 years trying to add something new. But it's not the same, because what technologies China has added, have been just "Upgrades"; not so much "NEW" technologies. They mainly make Knock-Off's and just barrow what innovations they think will make their countries tech image better. All the time breaking rules they themselves agreed to, to keep the market fair. But that's part of a bigger story.

Nicknrm
    CDMA has been proven to be much more reliable and has more chances of expansion in the future. Yes, it is more expensive to own and operate, so you see it taking longer.
    Also, if I haven't heard of the device your wanting, the Voyager 2, by now...it won't be here for a year at least.
    Also keep in mind that the USA has a lot more safety regulations than other countries. This means expansion is slower.

The2ndflood There is too many problems to list for reasons why the growth of the US wireless market is so slow when it comes to advanced features. But for Verizon, it comes down to the fact that they want 100% control over everything. This leaves us customers with only a handful of CDMA phones to choose from. Verizon also mainly buys from the same companies and doesn't seem interested in buying different devices from small vendors.
    Also consider the fact that Verizon uses BREW, instead of the Open-Source Java that most of the world uses, and that causes us even more problems. So us Verizon customers are just forced into waiting for a few times a year where Verizon will release a new phone. And more times then not, the new phone is either a Mid-Level, or Low-End device.
    I hope that if Verizon is going to release a Voyager-2; that it will be this year, not next.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  8. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

Also, your R-UIM card, which I am familiar with, is available on about 3-5 carries worldwide. Yes, they are large carriers...but notably they aren't in the Verizon Allies. Verizon has expected plans to launch similar services (to the Removable User ID cards) coming with LTE later in 2010. The LTE service will allow GSM phones to work on CDMA...but not the other way.

This is how it is SUPPOSED to work. They haven't fully tested it...but they're like 90% sure it will go as planned.

Let's put this out there right away:

Verizon Wireless is a United States carrier.

AT&T is a United States/Puerto Rico carrier.

Verizon Wireless is part of the largest allied companies, Verizon | O2 | Vodafone = shared partnerships. This means Verizon Wireless has an instant advantage. Vodafone IS the leading worldwide carrier, that isn't arguable. Verizon Wireless is the leading US carrier, that isn't arguable. AT&T has the best international abilities...that IS arguable-T-Mobile contains 25 more countires to internationally roam in than AT&T does.

The only advantage AT&T has above Verizon is as follows=

1. GSM ability to roam internationally very well, this is quickly getting better for CDMA though.

2. iPhone

3. GSM SIM cards to make switching devices about 5-10 seconds faster than switching it with the Verizon Wireless *228 option 3.

Also, ever notice how Verizon Wireless devices are usually cheaper than most carriers? I have taken current Sprint customers in a Verizon store for a device...they were amazed...pricing is very cheap compared to most carriers...including Sprint. AT&T use to have higher prices for phones, but as technology improved, so did prices.
  9. shanlil92

shanlil92 New Member

The FCC just okay'd a VX11000 which may or may not be a Voyager 2. If you really are tired of the Voyager and can't get a replacement, you might like the LG Versa. It's a touchscreen phone with a detachable keypad with more things for gaming and speakers on the way soon.

I have the Dare, and I like it better than the Voyager, personally.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?