1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Online ESN swap to an AMPS phone.

Discussion in 'alt.cellular.verizon' started by Brown Man, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Brown Man

Brown Man Guest

Hi Everyone,

I've read a few posts in this group about doing online ESN swaps. That got me thinking that I had
    two Motorola 2900 Car phones that I purchased new back in 1997. The are 3 watt AMPS only. When I
    upgraded to CDMA phones I removed them from the cars and put them on the shelf. I really prefer
    talking on CDMA because of the much improved voice security. But, I do spend a lot of time in the
    back woods camping, hunting and hiking. I managed to pickup a 14 element 850Mhz Cellular Yagi from a
    friend. My thinking was to convert one of these 2900's over to a "bag phone". Motorola sold them as
    such. They were the exact same unit as mine, just came in a bag with a battery and a nice little
    rubber ducky antenna. If I put one of these into a bag with a 7amp/hr gel cell, and took my Yagi
    along, I could hike/4wd up to the top peaks and make calls from really remote places.

So I fired one of my old 2900's up and stuck it on a Mag Mount in my garage. Plenty of signal showed
    on the RSSI. These phones had been on Verizon before and were programmed with the same SysID as my
    new CDMA phones. So I re-programmed the local number to be the same as my CDMA portable and
    proceeded to jump on verizon's website and do a ESN change to see what would happen. The 2900 could
    not make any calls (except for 611) prior to the change. As soon as I made the change, I could call
    anyone I wanted. Yahoo! My CDMA phone was no longer able to call anything except 611. So far, so
    good. When I called my home phone it would show on caller ID as the correct number and sounded
    great. So then I called my cell number from my home line. I could hear after one ring, the network
    would find the phone. At that moment the RSSI would drop to no bars, and I'd hear the call transfer
    to my voice mail right away. A second or so later the signal level would show normal again. If I
    turned the 2900 off, then it would ring and ring searching for the phone, and then after several
    rings, drop to voice mail. Turn the 2900 on, and one ring, the RSSI would drop to 0 for a couple of
    seconds just as it transfered to voice mail. It's as if the 2900 was refusing to take the call from
    the network even through the network found it. I tried calling from the 2900 again, that works very
    nicely. But no way, no how, would it take an incoming call.

Anyone here have any idea what's wrong. These units were both working fine back in 1999 when they
    were removed from service. One was even used for a 911 call when it was off service. I went through
    the entire feature options on the 2900 to make sure nothing was screwed up. It has a "no ringer"
    option that is turned OFF. It says in the manual that with that option on, and the "no notify"
    option on the phone will refuse incoming calls from the network - which is how this thing is acting.
    But I triple checked the options and they are not set that way. Any other ideas? Or is there some
    reason why Verizon's network would dis-allow an amps only phone on a digital rate plan?? I'm going
    to be mostly using this in areas that are roaming (included on my plan) and are AMPS only anyway. So
    it's not like I'm ripping them off using my 700 digital minutes on an AMPS only phone since over
    there my CDMA phone would drop to AMPS if it could get signal at all.

Any ideas folks?

John Sande

› See More: Online ESN swap to an AMPS phone.
  2. p lane

p lane Guest

the problem is that you need to call c/s and have them turnoff the
    caller id function/ or your amp phone won't ring--

One of the things that folks (including myself have done) is to do an
    esn swap when a need such as the one you describe arises--you may need
    some reason, such as you misplaced your cdma unit-there was a previous
    post about a week or so ago about how and the poster did this---in
    either case, I have learned that problem is to have the "caller ID"
    turned off for the analog---it apparently-is such a rare thing today to
    have an analog phone that it's forgotten by c/s---let us know if that
    helps

Brown Man <triple5@ccm.org> wrote in article
    <mUd7b.11206$mp.6676@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>:
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I've read a few posts in this group about doing online ESN swaps. That got me thinking that I had
    > two Motorola 2900 Car phones that I purchased new back in 1997. The are 3 watt AMPS only. When I
    > upgraded to CDMA phones I removed them from the cars and put them on the shelf. I really prefer
    > talking on CDMA because of the much improved voice security. But, I do spend a lot of time in the
    > back woods camping, hunting and hiking. I managed to pickup a 14 element 850Mhz Cellular Yagi from a
    > friend. My thinking was to convert one of these 2900's over to a "bag phone". Motorola sold them as
    > such. They were the exact same unit as mine, just came in a bag with a battery and a nice little
    > rubber ducky antenna. If I put one of these into a bag with a 7amp/hr gel cell, and took my Yagi
    > along, I could hike/4wd up to the top peaks and make calls from really remote places.
    >
    > So I fired one of my old 2900's up and stuck it on a Mag Mount in my garage. Plenty of signal showed
    > on the RSSI. These phones had been on Verizon before and were programmed with the same SysID as my
    > new CDMA phones. So I re-programmed the local number to be the same as my CDMA portable and
    > proceeded to jump on verizon's website and do a ESN change to see what would happen. The 2900 could
    > not make any calls (except for 611) prior to the change. As soon as I made the change, I could call
    > anyone I wanted. Yahoo! My CDMA phone was no longer able to call anything except 611. So far, so
    > good. When I called my home phone it would show on caller ID as the correct number and sounded
    > great. So then I called my cell number from my home line. I could hear after one ring, the network
    > would find the phone. At that moment the RSSI would drop to no bars, and I'd hear the call transfer
    > to my voice mail right away. A second or so later the signal level would show normal again. If I
    > turned the 2900 off, then it would ring and ring searching for the phone, and then after several
    > rings, drop to voice mail. Turn the 2900 on, and one ring, the RSSI would drop to 0 for a couple of
    > seconds just as it transfered to voice mail. It's as if the 2900 was refusing to take the call from
    > the network even through the network found it. I tried calling from the 2900 again, that works very
    > nicely. But no way, no how, would it take an incoming call.
    >
    > Anyone here have any idea what's wrong. These units were both working fine back in 1999 when they
    > were removed from service. One was even used for a 911 call when it was off service. I went through
    > the entire feature options on the 2900 to make sure nothing was screwed up. It has a "no ringer"
    > option that is turned OFF. It says in the manual that with that option on, and the "no notify"
    > option on the phone will refuse incoming calls from the network - which is how this thing is acting.
    > But I triple checked the options and they are not set that way. Any other ideas? Or is there some
    > reason why Verizon's network would dis-allow an amps only phone on a digital rate plan?? I'm going
    > to be mostly using this in areas that are roaming (included on my plan) and are AMPS only anyway. So
    > it's not like I'm ripping them off using my 700 digital minutes on an AMPS only phone since over
    > there my CDMA phone would drop to AMPS if it could get signal at all.
    >
    > Any ideas folks?
    >
    > John Sande
    >

[posted via phonescoop.com]

3. p lane

p lane Guest

actually, I would like to hear their reply to the plain truth, about why
    you want to do it--as you say you are the customer.

> Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I've read a few posts in this group about doing online ESN swaps. That got me thinking that I had
    > two Motorola 2900 Car phones that I purchased new back in 1997. The are 3 watt AMPS only. When I
    > upgraded to CDMA phones I removed them from the cars and put them on the shelf. I really prefer
    > talking on CDMA because of the much improved voice security. But, I do spend a lot of time in the
    > back woods camping, hunting and hiking. I managed to pickup a 14 element 850Mhz Cellular Yagi from a
    > friend. My thinking was to convert one of these 2900's over to a "bag phone". Motorola sold them as
    > such. They were the exact same unit as mine, just came in a bag with a battery and a nice little
    > rubber ducky antenna. If I put one of these into a bag with a 7amp/hr gel cell, and took my Yagi
    > along, I could hike/4wd up to the top peaks and make calls from really remote places.
    >
    > So I fired one of my old 2900's up and stuck it on a Mag Mount in my garage. Plenty of signal showed
    > on the RSSI. These phones had been on Verizon before and were programmed with the same SysID as my
    > new CDMA phones. So I re-programmed the local number to be the same as my CDMA portable and
    > proceeded to jump on verizon's website and do a ESN change to see what would happen. The 2900 could
    > not make any calls (except for 611) prior to the change. As soon as I made the change, I could call
    > anyone I wanted. Yahoo! My CDMA phone was no longer able to call anything except 611. So far, so
    > good. When I called my home phone it would show on caller ID as the correct number and sounded
    > great. So then I called my cell number from my home line. I could hear after one ring, the network
    > would find the phone. At that moment the RSSI would drop to no bars, and I'd hear the call transfer
    > to my voice mail right away. A second or so later the signal level would show normal again. If I
    > turned the 2900 off, then it would ring and ring searching for the phone, and then after several
    > rings, drop to voice mail. Turn the 2900 on, and one ring, the RSSI would drop to 0 for a couple of
    > seconds just as it transfered to voice mail. It's as if the 2900 was refusing to take the call from
    > the network even through the network found it. I tried calling from the 2900 again, that works very
    >
    > Anyone here have any idea what's wrong. These units were both working fine back in 1999 when they
    > were removed from service. One was even used for a 911 call when it was off service. I went through
    > the entire feature options on the 2900 to make sure nothing was screwed up. It has a "no ringer"
    > option that is turned OFF. It says in the manual that with that option on, and the "no notify"
    > option on the phone will refuse incoming calls from the network - which is how this thing is acting.
    > But I triple checked the options and they are not set that way. Any other ideas? Or is there some
    > reason why Verizon's network would dis-allow an amps only phone on a digital rate plan?? I'm going
    > to be mostly using this in areas that are roaming (included on my plan) and are AMPS only anyway. So
    > it's not like I'm ripping them off using my 700 digital minutes on an AMPS only phone since over
    >
    > Any ideas folks?
    >
    > John Sande
    >

4. hotrod

hotrod Guest

And how is it exactly that you can do a ESN swap on line? What part of
    Verizon's web page allows that?

"Brown Man" <triple5@ccm.org> wrote in message
    news:mUd7b.11206$mp.6676@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net...
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I've read a few posts in this group about doing online ESN swaps. That got

me thinking that I had
    > two Motorola 2900 Car phones that I purchased new back in 1997. The are 3

watt AMPS only. When I
    > upgraded to CDMA phones I removed them from the cars and put them on the

shelf. I really prefer
    > talking on CDMA because of the much improved voice security. But, I do

spend a lot of time in the
    > back woods camping, hunting and hiking. I managed to pickup a 14 element

850Mhz Cellular Yagi from a
    > friend. My thinking was to convert one of these 2900's over to a "bag

phone". Motorola sold them as
    > such. They were the exact same unit as mine, just came in a bag with a

battery and a nice little
    > rubber ducky antenna. If I put one of these into a bag with a 7amp/hr gel

cell, and took my Yagi
    > along, I could hike/4wd up to the top peaks and make calls from really

remote places.
    >
    > So I fired one of my old 2900's up and stuck it on a Mag Mount in my

garage. Plenty of signal showed
    > on the RSSI. These phones had been on Verizon before and were programmed

with the same SysID as my
    > new CDMA phones. So I re-programmed the local number to be the same as my

CDMA portable and
    > proceeded to jump on verizon's website and do a ESN change to see what

would happen. The 2900 could
    > not make any calls (except for 611) prior to the change. As soon as I made

the change, I could call
    > anyone I wanted. Yahoo! My CDMA phone was no longer able to call anything

except 611. So far, so
    > good. When I called my home phone it would show on caller ID as the

correct number and sounded
    > great. So then I called my cell number from my home line. I could hear

after one ring, the network
    > would find the phone. At that moment the RSSI would drop to no bars, and

I'd hear the call transfer
    > to my voice mail right away. A second or so later the signal level would

show normal again. If I
    > turned the 2900 off, then it would ring and ring searching for the phone,

and then after several
    > rings, drop to voice mail. Turn the 2900 on, and one ring, the RSSI would

drop to 0 for a couple of
    > seconds just as it transfered to voice mail. It's as if the 2900 was

refusing to take the call from
    > the network even through the network found it. I tried calling from the

2900 again, that works very
    >
    > Anyone here have any idea what's wrong. These units were both working fine

back in 1999 when they
    > were removed from service. One was even used for a 911 call when it was

off service. I went through
    > the entire feature options on the 2900 to make sure nothing was screwed

up. It has a "no ringer"
    > option that is turned OFF. It says in the manual that with that option on,

and the "no notify"
    > option on the phone will refuse incoming calls from the network - which is

how this thing is acting.
    > But I triple checked the options and they are not set that way. Any other

ideas? Or is there some
    > reason why Verizon's network would dis-allow an amps only phone on a

digital rate plan?? I'm going
    > to be mostly using this in areas that are roaming (included on my plan)

and are AMPS only anyway. So
    > it's not like I'm ripping them off using my 700 digital minutes on an AMPS

only phone since over
    >
    > Any ideas folks?
    >
    > John Sande
    >

5. Larry W4CSC

Larry W4CSC Guest

Yes, I agree. When I moved back to my Moto TX200 bagphone the CS told
    me I would lose caller ID and turned it off in the swap. Call 611 on
    the bagphone and have them try that.

Welcome to Hi-Fi cellular...(c;

Make sure civilians are warned when you're gonna make a high powered
    call with that thing. We don't want any innocents getting burned. I
    use an 11 element 800 Mhz paging beam from Decibel Products mounted on
    a 30' aluminum extendable pool cleaning handle that is very light and
    twist-locks into extension on my service truck from out in the SC
    boondocks. Works great in areas where even a 3W bagphone on a rubber
    duck won't work. It also allows me to put interfering systems in the
    beam's nulls so I can select which system I use in the no-man's-land
    between systems.

Bagphone Larry - Power is our friend!

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 06:30:03 -0000, plane@usa.com (p lane) wrote:

>the problem is that you need to call c/s and have them turnoff the
    >caller id function/ or your amp phone won't ring--
    >
    >One of the things that folks (including myself have done) is to do an
    >esn swap when a need such as the one you describe arises--you may need
    >some reason, such as you misplaced your cdma unit-there was a previous
    >post about a week or so ago about how and the poster did this---in
    >either case, I have learned that problem is to have the "caller ID"
    >turned off for the analog---it apparently-is such a rare thing today to
    >have an analog phone that it's forgotten by c/s---let us know if that
    >helps
    >
    >Brown Man <triple5@ccm.org> wrote in article
    ><mUd7b.11206$mp.6676@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>:
    >> Hi Everyone,
    >>
    >> I've read a few posts in this group about doing online ESN swaps. That got me thinking that I had
    >> two Motorola 2900 Car phones that I purchased new back in 1997. The are 3 watt AMPS only. When I
    >> upgraded to CDMA phones I removed them from the cars and put them on the shelf. I really prefer
    >> talking on CDMA because of the much improved voice security. But, I do spend a lot of time in the
    >> back woods camping, hunting and hiking. I managed to pickup a 14 element 850Mhz Cellular Yagi from a
    >> friend. My thinking was to convert one of these 2900's over to a "bag phone". Motorola sold them as
    >> such. They were the exact same unit as mine, just came in a bag with a battery and a nice little
    >> rubber ducky antenna. If I put one of these into a bag with a 7amp/hr gel cell, and took my Yagi
    >> along, I could hike/4wd up to the top peaks and make calls from really remote places.
    >>
    >> So I fired one of my old 2900's up and stuck it on a Mag Mount in my garage. Plenty of signal showed
    >> on the RSSI. These phones had been on Verizon before and were programmed with the same SysID as my
    >> new CDMA phones. So I re-programmed the local number to be the same as my CDMA portable and
    >> proceeded to jump on verizon's website and do a ESN change to see what would happen. The 2900 could
    >> not make any calls (except for 611) prior to the change. As soon as I made the change, I could call
    >> anyone I wanted. Yahoo! My CDMA phone was no longer able to call anything except 611. So far, so
    >> good. When I called my home phone it would show on caller ID as the correct number and sounded
    >> great. So then I called my cell number from my home line. I could hear after one ring, the network
    >> would find the phone. At that moment the RSSI would drop to no bars, and I'd hear the call transfer
    >> to my voice mail right away. A second or so later the signal level would show normal again. If I
    >> turned the 2900 off, then it would ring and ring searching for the phone, and then after several
    >> rings, drop to voice mail. Turn the 2900 on, and one ring, the RSSI would drop to 0 for a couple of
    >> seconds just as it transfered to voice mail. It's as if the 2900 was refusing to take the call from
    >> the network even through the network found it. I tried calling from the 2900 again, that works very
    >> nicely. But no way, no how, would it take an incoming call.
    >>
    >> Anyone here have any idea what's wrong. These units were both working fine back in 1999 when they
    >> were removed from service. One was even used for a 911 call when it was off service. I went through
    >> the entire feature options on the 2900 to make sure nothing was screwed up. It has a "no ringer"
    >> option that is turned OFF. It says in the manual that with that option on, and the "no notify"
    >> option on the phone will refuse incoming calls from the network - which is how this thing is acting.
    >> But I triple checked the options and they are not set that way. Any other ideas? Or is there some
    >> reason why Verizon's network would dis-allow an amps only phone on a digital rate plan?? I'm going
    >> to be mostly using this in areas that are roaming (included on my plan) and are AMPS only anyway. So
    >> it's not like I'm ripping them off using my 700 digital minutes on an AMPS only phone since over
    >> there my CDMA phone would drop to AMPS if it could get signal at all.
    >>
    >> Any ideas folks?
    >>
    >> John Sande
    >>

>
    >[posted via phonescoop.com]

6. hotrod <rodgolding@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > And how is it exactly that you can do a ESN swap on line? What part of
    > Verizon's web page allows that?

The new website's "My Account" section lets you do an ESN swap. If your
    market area has not upgraded billing systems yet, this function may not
    be available. It is available to me in the LA market.

--
    JustThe.net Internet & Multimedia Services
    22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
    Steve Sobol, Proprietor
    888.480.4NET (4638) * 248.724.4NET * sjsobol@JustThe.net

7. hotrod

hotrod Guest

Can't find it anywhere.. must not be available in my area yet, midwest

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    news:qF-dnW96rZySRsCiXTWJkA@lmi.net...
    > hotrod <rodgolding@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > And how is it exactly that you can do a ESN swap on line? What part of
    > > Verizon's web page allows that?

>
    > The new website's "My Account" section lets you do an ESN swap. If your
    > market area has not upgraded billing systems yet, this function may not
    > be available. It is available to me in the LA market.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & Multimedia Services
    > 22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
    > Steve Sobol, Proprietor
    > 888.480.4NET (4638) * 248.724.4NET * sjsobol@JustThe.net

8. Brown Man

Brown Man Guest

> the problem is that you need to call c/s and have them turnoff the
    > caller id function/ or your amp phone won't ring--
    >
    > One of the things that folks (including myself have done) is to do an
    > esn swap when a need such as the one you describe arises--you may need
    > some reason, such as you misplaced your cdma unit-there was a previous
    > post about a week or so ago about how and the poster did this---in
    > either case, I have learned that problem is to have the "caller ID"
    > turned off for the analog---it apparently-is such a rare thing today to
    > have an analog phone that it's forgotten by c/s---let us know if that
    > helps

Bummer, then when I got back to the CDMA phone I will have no caller ID then?? Too bad that isn't an
    option on the website to turn that on/off. Ideally would be to have no caller ID on AMPS and have it
    on CDMA. I was really hoping for a way I can change this back and forth at will without having to
    explain to some bozo why I want to make the change. The website asks no stupid questions of you!

John Sande

9. hotrod <rodgolding@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Can't find it anywhere.. must not be available in my area yet, midwest

Ohio hadn't switched over when I moved from there at the end of June.
    Their billing switchover is slated for next month, or perhaps November,
    I don't remember which.

LA just switched over in May, I think.

--
    JustThe.net Internet & Multimedia Services
    22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
    Steve Sobol, Proprietor
    888.480.4NET (4638) * 248.724.4NET * sjsobol@JustThe.net

10. Luke

Luke Guest

You cannot program an AMPS phone on a tri-mode rate plan (such as
    America's Choice or SingeRate); you may be charged massive roaming
    airtime because it won't be able to pick up a PCS band or if the billing
    system sees that your digital phone is making 100% of it's calls in
    Analog.

--
    Luke

Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in article
    <qF-dnW96rZySRsCiXTWJkA@lmi.net>:
    > hotrod <rodgolding@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > And how is it exactly that you can do a ESN swap on line? What part of
    > > Verizon's web page allows that?

>
    > The new website's "My Account" section lets you do an ESN swap. If your
    > market area has not upgraded billing systems yet, this function may not
    > be available. It is available to me in the LA market.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & Multimedia Services
    > 22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
    > Steve Sobol, Proprietor
    > 888.480.4NET (4638) * 248.724.4NET * sjsobol@JustThe.net

11. Brown Man

Brown Man Guest

> You cannot program an AMPS phone on a tri-mode rate plan (such as
    > America's Choice or SingeRate); you may be charged massive roaming
    > airtime because it won't be able to pick up a PCS band or if the billing
    > system sees that your digital phone is making 100% of it's calls in
    > Analog.

Well as my post stated, this is to be used in rural remote areas on weekends where there is nothing
    other than AMPS coverage. No digital anything for any carrier. The regional digital plan I have
    covers roaming into these areas and my digital tri-mode phone goes to amps in these areas anyway. So
    their billing system will see nothing unusal! I just want to use this phone because it's about 13db
    more transmit power, and on a gel cell, it will last days and my CMDA phone lasts only a few hours
    on AMPS. I've already got the ESN switched once and it worked except for this CallerID issue on
    inbound calls. A few hours later switched it back to my CDMA phone without a hitch.

John Sande

12. N9WOS

N9WOS Guest

I would just get a 2950 bag phone from ebay and be done with it.
    The 2950 supports CID.
    So you won't have any problem with turning off CID.

13. Brown Man

Brown Man Guest

> I would just get a 2950 bag phone from ebay and be done with it.

0 items found for motorola 2950 <-- ebay right now. perhaps they are listed under bag phone.. Most
    I look at are 2900's on there.

> The 2950 supports CID.
    > So you won't have any problem with turning off CID.

Other than that defeats the purpose of this.. I already own two 2900's and I see they sell on ebay
    for about $20-$40... so selling them for cash is worthless. My plan was to make use of them instead
    of throwing them out. If I was going to spend $$$, I'd just get a 3 watt amp stuff that in a bag and
    use my CDMA phone with a car charger connected to the same battery. Then I would have high power
    CDMA and AMPS. Unless someone somewhere wants to swap a 2 2900 for a 2950. Not likely.

John Sande

14. N9WOS

N9WOS Guest

> Other than that defeats the purpose of this.. I already own two 2900's and

I see they sell on ebay
    > for about $20-$40... so selling them for cash is worthless. My plan was to

make use of them instead
    > of throwing them out. If I was going to spend $$$, I'd just get a 3 watt

amp stuff that in a bag and
    > use my CDMA phone with a car charger connected to the same battery. Then I

would have high power
    > CDMA and AMPS. Unless someone somewhere wants to swap a 2 2900 for a 2950.

Not likely.

The only thing available for you to do under those restraints is hook the
    yagi
    up to the hand held phone via external antenna port.(if available.)
    It will greatly increase your range compared to the normal antenna on the
    phone.

And just keep an eye out for a CID compatible 3W AMPS phone.

(ie)2950 or 4500

There is currently four 4500's for sale on ebay.

15. p lane

p lane Guest

Yea, I know what you rmean, there was a post (s) a week so ago
    alkongthis same line, you might want to search back and see what he
    did.--let us know if you learn anything. thanks

<jFm7b.198888$2x.57209@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>:
    >
    > > the problem is that you need to call c/s and have them turnoff the
    > > caller id function/ or your amp phone won't ring--
    > >
    > > One of the things that folks (including myself have done) is to do an
    > > esn swap when a need such as the one you describe arises--you may need
    > > some reason, such as you misplaced your cdma unit-there was a previous
    > > post about a week or so ago about how and the poster did this---in
    > > either case, I have learned that problem is to have the "caller ID"
    > > turned off for the analog---it apparently-is such a rare thing today to
    > > have an analog phone that it's forgotten by c/s---let us know if that
    > > helps

>
    >
    > Bummer, then when I got back to the CDMA phone I will have no caller ID then?? Too bad that isn't an
    > option on the website to turn that on/off. Ideally would be to have no caller ID on AMPS and have it
    > on CDMA. I was really hoping for a way I can change this back and forth at will without having to
    > explain to some bozo why I want to make the change. The website asks no stupid questions of you!
    >
    > John Sande
    >

16. p lane

p lane Guest

Larry, what kind of cable are you using --rg 8 or something
    better--also the connector hookup.. I used to use a 400 mh repeater and
    losses were awful even at tbe 400 level--thanks

nospam@home.com (Larry W4CSC) wrote in article
    <3f5db36c.378149467@news.knology.net>:
    > Yes, I agree. When I moved back to my Moto TX200 bagphone the CS told
    > me I would lose caller ID and turned it off in the swap. Call 611 on
    > the bagphone and have them try that.
    >
    > Welcome to Hi-Fi cellular...(c;
    >
    > Make sure civilians are warned when you're gonna make a high powered
    > call with that thing. We don't want any innocents getting burned. I
    > use an 11 element 800 Mhz paging beam from Decibel Products mounted on
    > a 30' aluminum extendable pool cleaning handle that is very light and
    > twist-locks into extension on my service truck from out in the SC
    > boondocks. Works great in areas where even a 3W bagphone on a rubber
    > duck won't work. It also allows me to put interfering systems in the
    > beam's nulls so I can select which system I use in the no-man's-land
    > between systems.
    >
    > Bagphone Larry - Power is our friend!
    >
    >
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 06:30:03 -0000, plane@usa.com (p lane) wrote:
    >
    > >the problem is that you need to call c/s and have them turnoff the
    > >caller id function/ or your amp phone won't ring--
    > >
    > >One of the things that folks (including myself have done) is to do an
    > >esn swap when a need such as the one you describe arises--you may need
    > >some reason, such as you misplaced your cdma unit-there was a previous
    > >post about a week or so ago about how and the poster did this---in
    > >either case, I have learned that problem is to have the "caller ID"
    > >turned off for the analog---it apparently-is such a rare thing today to
    > >have an analog phone that it's forgotten by c/s---let us know if that
    > >helps
    > >
    > >Brown Man <triple5@ccm.org> wrote in article
    > ><mUd7b.11206$mp.6676@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>:
    > >> Hi Everyone,
    > >>
    > >> I've read a few posts in this group about doing online ESN swaps. That got me thinking that I had
    > >> two Motorola 2900 Car phones that I purchased new back in 1997. The are 3 watt AMPS only. When I
    > >> upgraded to CDMA phones I removed them from the cars and put them on the shelf. I really prefer
    > >> talking on CDMA because of the much improved voice security. But, I do spend a lot of time in the
    > >> back woods camping, hunting and hiking. I managed to pickup a 14 element 850Mhz Cellular Yagi from a
    > >> friend. My thinking was to convert one of these 2900's over to a "bag phone". Motorola sold them as
    > >> such. They were the exact same unit as mine, just came in a bag with a battery and a nice little
    > >> rubber ducky antenna. If I put one of these into a bag with a 7amp/hr gel cell, and took my Yagi
    > >> along, I could hike/4wd up to the top peaks and make calls from really remote places.
    > >>
    > >> So I fired one of my old 2900's up and stuck it on a Mag Mount in my garage. Plenty of signal showed
    > >> on the RSSI. These phones had been on Verizon before and were programmed with the same SysID as my
    > >> new CDMA phones. So I re-programmed the local number to be the same as my CDMA portable and
    > >> proceeded to jump on verizon's website and do a ESN change to see what would happen. The 2900 could
    > >> not make any calls (except for 611) prior to the change. As soon as I made the change, I could call
    > >> anyone I wanted. Yahoo! My CDMA phone was no longer able to call anything except 611. So far, so
    > >> good. When I called my home phone it would show on caller ID as the correct number and sounded
    > >> great. So then I called my cell number from my home line. I could hear after one ring, the network
    > >> would find the phone. At that moment the RSSI would drop to no bars, and I'd hear the call transfer
    > >> to my voice mail right away. A second or so later the signal level would show normal again. If I
    > >> turned the 2900 off, then it would ring and ring searching for the phone, and then after several
    > >> rings, drop to voice mail. Turn the 2900 on, and one ring, the RSSI would drop to 0 for a couple of
    > >> seconds just as it transfered to voice mail. It's as if the 2900 was refusing to take the call from
    > >> the network even through the network found it. I tried calling from the 2900 again, that works very
    > >> nicely. But no way, no how, would it take an incoming call.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone here have any idea what's wrong. These units were both working fine back in 1999 when they
    > >> were removed from service. One was even used for a 911 call when it was off service. I went through
    > >> the entire feature options on the 2900 to make sure nothing was screwed up. It has a "no ringer"
    > >> option that is turned OFF. It says in the manual that with that option on, and the "no notify"
    > >> option on the phone will refuse incoming calls from the network - which is how this thing is acting.
    > >> But I triple checked the options and they are not set that way. Any other ideas? Or is there some
    > >> reason why Verizon's network would dis-allow an amps only phone on a digital rate plan?? I'm going
    > >> to be mostly using this in areas that are roaming (included on my plan) and are AMPS only anyway. So
    > >> it's not like I'm ripping them off using my 700 digital minutes on an AMPS only phone since over
    > >> there my CDMA phone would drop to AMPS if it could get signal at all.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas folks?
    > >>
    > >> John Sande
    > >>

> >
    > >[posted via phonescoop.com]

>

17. Larry W4CSC

Larry W4CSC Guest

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:48:13 -0000, plane@usa.com (p lane) wrote:

>Larry, what kind of cable are you using --rg 8 or something
    >better--also the connector hookup.. I used to use a 400 mh repeater and
    >losses were awful even at tbe 400 level--thanks
    >

Genuine RG-58A/U with crimp mini-UHF connector on one end and an N
    connector on the other end....just enough to reach the antenna....

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
    You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

18. N9WOS

N9WOS Guest

> >Larry, what kind of cable are you using --rg 8 or something
    > >better--also the connector hookup.. I used to use a 400 mh repeater and
    > >losses were awful even at tbe 400 level--thanks
    > >

> Genuine RG-58A/U with crimp mini-UHF connector on one end and an N
    > connector on the other end....just enough to reach the antenna....

One note.............
    Make sure to get cable with a 100% shield.

Some are spec at 92% or so shielding.
    They leak more signal out of the holes in
    the braid than they conduct to the antenna
    in the UHF range.

The stuff with foil shielding is also real good at UHF levels.
    And it definitely qualifies as 100% shielding.

Or go with cable TV hard line.
    It is a bit inflexible, but that is only a minor problem. :)

19. Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@justthe.net> wrote:

> Ohio hadn't switched over when I moved from there at the end of June.
    > Their billing switchover is slated for next month, or perhaps November,
    > I don't remember which.

ESN swaps work fine here in Northeast Ohio. But the last time I
    checked, we couldn't switch our plan online. The link was there, but I
    would get this feature is not available in your market when i clicked on
    it.

20. Norbert A

Norbert A Guest

Somewhere in this thread there was discussion on you need to turn off
    CID in order for the AMPS phone to receive calls. In the NORTHEAST
    MARKET you can dial 611 and select ADD and REMOVE features from the
    AUTOMATED menu. press #1 first then #4 then its option #8 disable CID or
    listen to the menus. if available in your market you should be able to
    add or drop the CID as you need to.

> Hi Everyone,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Any ideas folks?
    >
    > John Sande
    >

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?