1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Prepaid for the Kids

Discussion in 'Prepaid' started by GetAway, Nov 26, 2013.

1. GetAway

GetAway New Member

My oldest kids will be 13 in a few months, and they have been hounding us for cell phones. I honestly don't think that they need them, but they seem to think otherwise. What is a decent prepaid phone we could get them?

› See More: Prepaid for the Kids
  2. Arborist

Arborist Member

You should check out the prepaid Verizon phones on their site. They have new ones all the time like the LG Optimus. If you don't want to do that, you can always get them regular phones that are on a family share plan. You can limit their voice, data, and text usage as well.

3. GetAway

GetAway New Member

I don't want to give them anything with data. Even limiting the data doesn't always help. My friend tried that with her son after he went over the data three months in a row. Even with the limits, he was still able to go over.

4. Alli

Alli Member

How does a prepaid plan for kids work compared to standard ones? The thing that worries me about it for kids (and mine are not quite teens yet) is that they burn through the time and then the one time they need to phone home for an emergency they are stuck.

5. GetAway

GetAway New Member

That's what I'm worried about. We told them that it wouldn't be something where we were going to buy them minutes constantly, instead, they were going to have to earn them. I may just end up breaking down and getting another landline, but the last 9 years without one have been great.

6. eddo

eddo New Member

A co-worker said she was checking out a place called Kajeet, I have never heard of it so I looked it up. From what I can tell without signing up you can get the phone and service with them but they also let you track the phones movement. I am not sure if it is location only or just the calls and texts that are sent/received. Looks neat though.

7. benet

benet New Member

There is a place called ChicChat that sells phones pretty cheap. Some start at ten bucks and work their way up. I think the first limit is about 200 minutes but I am sure you could extend them. Do any carriers have an emergency roll over, where if the kid rolls over on the minutes (during say an emergency) they can still place the call?

8. Danielle

Danielle New Member

For a 13 year old, I would just go with one of the flip phones or simple QWERTY keyboard phones that you can get for like $35/month. Just make sure it has unlimited texting because that's all they do these days!!

9. Anita

Anita New Member

There's a place a friend of mine was talking about where you don't have to sign a contract and you just pay for what you use, but as much as teens are wont to text these days, I don't know that I would go that route -- or any route similar. I'd probably go with the cheapest plan I could find that has unlimited texting, which is probably Verizon prepaid.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?