1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Problem using BitPim with enV Touch

Discussion in 'LG enV' started by WldHogn, Jun 16, 2009.

1. WldHogn

WldHogn New Member

I just bought my wife the LG enV Touch to replace her LG Voyager. When I tried to use the latest version of BitPim (1.0.6) it wouldn't recognize the phone at all. The Voyager was using Com 5 in BitPim and worked great.

I downloaded and installed the drivers for the enV Touch from the Verizon website first. I tried connecting to all the com ports manually and also using "auto" and nothing worked. I also downloaded the new "test" version (1.0.7) of BitPim and that didn't work either. Anyone have an idea of how to get BitPim working with it so I can transfer my Mp3 ring tones to it?

Any comments would be appreciated .. thanks :cool:

› See More: Problem using BitPim with enV Touch
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
    2 people like this.
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

The latest test release (1.0.7) adds support for the versa (vx-9600). I'm wondering if it will work if you set it to that phone. Try downloading 1.0.7 here:
    SourceForge.net: BitPim: Downloading ...

Yeh - I've read elsewhere that it will work when set to the versa - apparently the programming is similar enough. The same with the env3.

Make sure when the phone is connected and it asks to sync music or drop, you select drop. Ringtones go in the brew/mod/10889/ringtones folder.

btw, People have also said that writing contacts with bitpim set to the versa doesn't work quite right and you may have to default the phone to get contacts to store corrently again.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  3. WldHogn

WldHogn New Member

Thanks for the quick response John ...

I had already tried BitPim 1.0.7. also and it didn't work either. I'm going to attach a screen shot of the BitPim "Choose a comm port" window and you can see several ports are "inoperable ports". The voyager worked great on either comm 5 or 7 (can't remember now .. I'm old) but those aren't even a choice. Tried it on auto detect and it doesn't see the phone at all.

Any other thoughts?

Attached Files:

4. jdeg

Is there a setting on the phone for USB or COM or something like that? I think it has to be on COM.
  5. WldHogn

WldHogn New Member

OK .. here's the scoop for BitPim 1.0.7. and the LG enV Touch / LG VX-11000 working together.

As you said it needed to be changed from USB but there wasn't a specific setting on the phone for "COM". What I found was under Settings & Tools> (9) USB Auto Detection > there are 3 choices. First is Media Sync Mode (which is where it was set) Second is Modem Mode (I choose this one since modems work on com ports) and Third is Ask On Plug.

I set the phone to "Modem Mode" .. plugged it in to the computer and opened BitPim 1.0.7. BitPim found the phone as "Other CDMA phone on COM5. I clicked on "Filesystem" on the tree and tried to view it. It wouldn't open. I clicked Edit> Settings> under "Phone Type drop down menu I chose LG-VX10000 (Voyager) and clicked ok at the bottom of the settings window.

BitPim now showed the phone (at the bottom left of the screen) as "LG-VX10000 (Voyager) on COM5 - Manually Set. I then clicked on Filesystem in the left tree .. (next making sure that "View> Filesystem is checked in the View Menu) then click the + sign next to the folder in the Filesystem column and (after a short time while it retrieved the info) there it was. I opened Brew> Mod> 10889> Ringtones and just did a drag and drop to load my custom Mp3 ring tones.

Thanks for the suggestions .. maybe this will help others when they get the enV Touch LG-VX11000. :smart:
    1 person likes this.
  6. jdeg

great! Glad you got it working!
  7. pickyguy

pickyguy New Member

I tried this exact procedure and ended up having my phonebook wiped out... now I can't even save contacts back to it. Someone PLS help!!! Everything else seems to work just fine, but I can't save any contacts.
  8. pickyguy

pickyguy New Member

If anyone else has this happen, the only thing you can do is restore your phone (Settings>Security>Restore Phone) then reactivate it. I lost everything that wasn't stored on my memory card, but luckily I got my contacts back because I still have my old phone (transferred via bluetooth). Everything works fine now, but I will NOT be using BitPim on my phone again until I see a version that specifically supports the enV Touch.
  9. WldHogn

WldHogn New Member

There was something said in this string regarding "writing contacts with BitPim" set to the Versa and people having problems. I quoted it above. In my instance it was set to the Voyager.

Be that as it may .. I'm still sorry for your experience .. it worked great for me and I didn't lose anything. I've been using BitPim for a long time and never experienced anything like that. I didn't attempt to write contacts using BitPim and I'm not sure from your post if you did or didn't.

However, I can certainly understand you not wanting to use BitPim until the enV Touch is specifically supported.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  10. pickyguy

pickyguy New Member

Just to be clear, I have also used BitPim on other phone models and had flawless results. I'm not saying anything bad about the software or blaming you for my experience. I realize that whenever you start modding, you assume the risk of really messing things up. I just realized that I don't want to take that risk with this particular phone again, so that was all I'm saying.

Good luck to you and all those modders out there.
  11. WldHogn

WldHogn New Member

I totally agree with you and I'll be looking forward to a version of BitPim that will include the LG VX-11000 also.

For the sake of being honest and full disclosure, and for others to see .. I did try to view the filesystem again using BitPim 1.0.7 (using the same method I described above) and it didn't work this morning. I did get it to eventually retrieve the filesystem but not without a lot of trial and error. So .. my advise to others reading this thread is to be careful if you try BitPim with the VX-11000. Hopefully a new version of BitPim will be out soon. :rolleyes:
  12. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

Yeah, I just recently switched back to Verizon and was hoping to update my old phone book, calender, ect with Bitpim but I'm worried about trying it using a different phone setting. The LG Voyager and the EnV Touch are just so different. When I have logged onto web sites using the EnV Touch, the sites see the phone as the LG VX9700; and Bitpim can backup the BREW folder when the settings are set to the 9700, but I wouldn't recommend anyone using Bitpim with the EnV Touch until it is supported.

Hopefully they will soon release an update, but I would imagine that the update won't happen until the designers of Bitpim get their hands on an EnV Touch. So maybe if there is people out there with a bricked EnV Touch that can't be fixed; they might want to consider donating the phone to Bitpim.
  13. Mikey Palmice

Mikey Palmice New Member

wow, thanks for the info. worked great.

actually, it screwed up. for some reason the phone keeps turning off and turning back on when it attempts to make the connection. and the few contacts that the phone comes with were erased from the phone.

I set it to the middle option for the setting in the phone. Modem

I tried the bitpim settings for the 9700, other cdma phone and the vogager. still nothing.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  14. WldHogn

WldHogn New Member

Sorry Mike .. at this point it's just experimentation and it's really not worth losing your contacts or possibly messing up your phone. Hopefully BitPim will figure it out and do a new release soon .. it's just a matter of time. :)
  15. Mikey Palmice

Mikey Palmice New Member

no problem. I was able to do a phone reset and now it works:)
  16. WldHogn

WldHogn New Member

I'm glad to hear it .. ;)
  17. rakeem45

rakeem45 New Member

When trying BotPIm 1.0.6 it found my phone as an "other CDMA phone on COM6". I did the above without much issue (although I had to set mine to COM6). I was able to find the ringtones folder along with a default folder (where I saw all the default tones that come with it) located within the ringtones folder. I dropped an mp3 first in default then tried finding it on my phone with no luck. I then dropped it in the ringtones folder and still couldn't find it on my phone. The file I used was a full size MP3 that was a little over 3MB. Should this make a difference? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

*UPDATE* Ok I a also coverted via BitPim so the file is now a little under 800k. I saved the file to my pc then added the the ringtones\default folder and also tried in just the ringtones folder. I'm still not showing it listed under my ringtones on the phone itself. Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  18. WldHogn

WldHogn New Member

Did you click on Filesystem in the left tree .. (next making sure that "View> Filesystem is checked in the View Menu) then click the + sign next to the folder in the Filesystem column and (after a short time while it retrieved the info) there it was. I opened Brew> Mod> 10889> Ringtones and just did a drag and drop to load my custom Mp3 ring tones.

When I tried to drag and drop into the "Ringtones" folder in the left tree it didn't work for me. I had to click on the "Filesystem" folder near the bottom of the left tree (list) and then open Brew>Mod>10889> Ringtones and drop in there. Then be sure to re-boot your phone (turn it off and back on again) .. the ringtones should then be found on your phone.
  19. rakeem45

rakeem45 New Member

I had followed your directions completely, I just didn't reboot the phone!! Thank you for the follow-up! It seems to working fine now :D
  20. Singjess38

Singjess38 New Member

Thank you so much, you're advice worked perfectly! I really appreciate your help with my problem!

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?