1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Problem using BitPim with enV Touch

Discussion in 'LG enV' started by WldHogn, Jun 16, 2009.

1. sokalkid

sokalkid New Member

:(i am havinga similar problem as the others are having. i have downloaded the newest bitpim as instructed. i have selected the env touch from the list of phones and i have tried various other instructinos that have been written throughout this forum such as setting it to LG Voyager, versa, and even chocolate 2. i have yet to have any success connecting to bitpim. i am a novice with bitpim being as i have never used it before. i would like step by step clear instructions on how to connec to bitpim please. i am trying to set the new iphone theme to my phone. i understand everything int he process but my only prblem has been connecting to bitpim. please help.

› See More: Problem using BitPim with enV Touch
  2. weazle9954

weazle9954 New Member

i'm trying to connect so i can save my texts but it wont connect
    i think it has to do wiht my COM

yfrog. com/6c76843864p

thats what i see idk whats wrong

i'm trying to connect my touch to bitpim but it wont connect
    i think it has to do with COM
    and i dont really understand it
    yfrog. com/6c76843864p

thats what i see idk whats wrong

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  3. me10lee83

me10lee83 New Member

Can you import sms messages from older phones on to the EnV touch? (Particularly from the Chocolate 2). I have the messages in BitPim and it says they transfer, the phone reboots itself, and it says there's no messages.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. ewlloyd

ewlloyd New Member

I just reviewed the BitPim source code for the VX11000 driver, and discovered that the developer had specifically disabled the phone book write functionality just before the 1.0.7 final release. Apparently, the beta reports from the field scared him pretty badly.

Just conjecture here, but I'm guessing that the current phone firmware is buggy as sin, and we'll all have to wait for LG and Verizon to get their act together. Unless, of course, Verizon likes it just fine this way...

5. Sven6847

Sven6847 New Member

I was finally able to make it work with Bitpim. The main problem I found is that every time the phone was plugged in, Win7 said that it had failed to properly install the drivers. I opened device manager and deleted the drivers from the computer. I left device manager open and plugged the phone in again. it then said it had two unknown devices without drivers in device manager. I updated the drivers for them and then reopened Bitpim. It listed a COM12 as being available as "LGE Mobile USB Serial Port (COM12)." I set the phone type to the enV Touch and it worked just fine. Hope this helps people in the future with this problem.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  6. charims

charims New Member

For those of you still having issues with the ENV touch, sometimes you have to see if there is a setting wrong in the phone. Please ensure you only change things that you can fix later.

I was having issues connecting my phone to Bitpim, version 1.0.7, running Ubuntu 10.04. However this may apply to any OS running bitpim to connect to your mobile device.Also, my phone firmware is a higher revision than the one which Bitpim 1.0.7 was tested on. Mine was VX11KV04 and the tested firmware was VX11KV03. I am guessing that this setting was changed with the firmware upgrade to keep us from using third-party software like Bitpim.

We are going to access the service menu on your phone. Go ahead and dial this number.
    or
    Then hit send. For the letters, it is just like dialing any other number, like 1800callme=1800225563.

It wont dial a number, instead a menu will pop up that says "Test Mode"

From this menu, hit the clear button. You will see another menu labeled "ServicesLG".

Choose the "Data-LG" Option from the menu.

Ensure that "PortMap(Data)"="USB CDC" and "PortMap(Diag)="USB Diag".
    On mine, the "PortMap(Diag)" was originally set to "NULL Dev", hence keeping me from accessing it.

You should be able to leave the menu after changing the setting, and bitpim should be able to detect your phone!!

GOOD LUCK!

7. uselessnobody

uselessnobody New Member

One thing I have not read on this thread was the use of the LG Outlook Sync tool which lets you sync your phone to Microsoft Outlook. This avenue sounded promising but when I tried, it said my phone needed network connectivity to download the calendar, despite me specifying not to backup the calendar. Others might have better luck with the tool than me since I have deactivated the phone and cannot reactivate it.

I literally took a swim with my phone for 10 minutes, but after drying it out, the filesystem is still intact (verified with Bit Pim) but the screen is nuked and I can't make calls on it. It appears that I am stuck where ewlloyd was: I've been able to transfer sms messages, notes, ringtones etc but not the contacts.

I was hoping someone had figured out how to transfer contacts by now via BitPim since I am able to access the filesystem through the program. So any luck anyone?

Here's the BitPim error I get when I try to transfer contacts (using BitPim 1.0.7 Official)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  8. Fletcher

Fletcher New Member

If you get the IndexError when trying to transfer contacts like uselessnobody, I was getting that error as well. I managed to patch the phone code to support this though. Open the file mentioned in the error, "phones\p_lgvx11000.pyo" or on linux p_lgvx11000.py. Find line 1086 as the error says which for me read:
    Code:
    def valid(self):
     global PB_ENTRY_SOR
     return self.entry_tag==PB_ENTRY_SOR and ord(self.name[0]) != 0xff
    I changed this to:
    Code:
    def valid(self):
     global PB_ENTRY_SOR
     try:
     self.name[0]
     except Exception:
     return False
     return self.entry_tag==PB_ENTRY_SOR and ord(self.name[0]) != 0xff
    I am no longer getting the error and can transfer contacts fine. Sorry this forum removes indentation, but the lines "self.name[0]" and "return False" should be indented once more.

9. uselessnobody

uselessnobody New Member

Thanks for your response, Fletcher.

I had posted to the dev mailing list for BitPim for some help to get me set up because I was lazy to install everything in Linux (I couldn't get it quite to work on Eclipse + PyDev on Windows 7), but as soon as I get around to it I will test your fix out and reply.

10. uselessnobody

uselessnobody New Member

Okay thanks Fletcher. I was able to recover my contacts. I did what you said in the p_lgvx11000.py file, but it screwed up the call to the pb_entry.valid property in com_lgvx11000.py. So what I ended up doing was also commenting out lines 244 & 255 in com_lgvx11000.py when it iterates over the entries.

So just so everyone knows, here are the exact steps I took (this was on a Windows 7 machine):

1) Download and install the latest stable BitPim (1.07 at the time of writing this)

2) Descend into the installation directory and find the file library.zip

3) I've attached both modified files that worked for me, so download them (com_lgvx11000.txt and p_lgvx11000.txt). Alternatively if you go to the development page from BitPim you can get the original 1.07 source and modify it yourself.

4) I had to change the extensions to upload to this forum, so rename them for the two files from .txt back to .py

5) Drop the two files into the library.zip. Python should recompile the equivalent pyo files.

6) Run BitPim and get your contacts

7) Export them to .csv and save it someone safe or email to yourself or something. Print it out if you have to so you don't ever lose it again.

Attached Files:

11. sbmongoos

sbmongoos New Member

Maybe I over looked it but I did not see if you can use Bitpim (1.07) with the LG enV Touch to transfer calendar info onto the Lg enV Touch. Doe this work? Anyone know?

12. UserOfLG

UserOfLG New Member

I can't sync them! I'm getting an error message just like the one previously mentioned. I tried submitting the files that you guys posted, but the problem is still there. What can I dooo!?

13. UserOfLG

UserOfLG New Member

I have the VTouch btw.
    When BitPim detects it, it says that it is a VX10000 and not VX11000 like it should (I think)

14. camstuf

camstuf /\/\s.Super/\/\odette

Try this info here>>> LG enV Touch Software – Bitpim - LG Cell Phones Blog
    And keep this info in mind>>>

15. UserOfLG

UserOfLG New Member

I lied! I do have a VX10000
    That goes to show how much I know about cellphones! =/

16. camstuf

camstuf /\/\s.Super/\/\odette

So you sync now?

17. UserOfLG

UserOfLG New Member

I couldn't do it through BitPim! I sychronized all of them using bluetooth! It was extremely easy!

1 person likes this.
  18. Bajeezeh

Bajeezeh New Member

I've tried everything! Bitpim will not detect my env touch! ITS SO ANNOYING! help, i put it in modem mode, tried installing the driver software EVERYTHING, someone help. Give me a step by step instruction please!

19. homey_g

homey_g New Member

Thank you for the detailed instructions! Unfortunately, I was unable to "drop" the .py files into the library.zip file on my Windows 7 machine. I got a WinZip error.

Action: Add (and replace) files Include subfolders: no Save full path: yes
    Include system and hidden files: yes
    Adding p_lgvx11000.py
    replacing old Zip file
    Warning: replace: could not delete C:\Program Files (x86)\BitPim\library.zip
    Could not replace original Zip file! New Zip left as C:\Program Files (x86)\BitPim\WZ52E8.tmp

Any ideas why this failed...

I do not have Python loaded on my computer. Can you post the library file?

George

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?