1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Problems With Motorola Droid or HTC Droid Eris?

Discussion in 'Motorola' started by nicknrm, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

Please post any issues you may notice with either of the Verizon Wireless Droid phones.

Even the smallest of problems (like random resets) should be noted here!

I hate getting phones that even have the littlest problems.

› See More: Problems With Motorola Droid or HTC Droid Eris?
    1 person likes this.
  2. melmigs7

melmigs7 New Member

I was originally going to purchase the Droid online when it came out, but the website was so laggy, so at 6:30 AM, on barely any sleep I decided to go to the store to get one. Got it, played with it for a couple of hours, had to go to a conference at my University (played with it more), looked through the settings activated the "pattern" lock and of course forgot which pattern I had entered (once again, I was running on very little sleep :crazy:) . Figured it was no big deal, kept playing around with possible "patterns," then after about 20 tries the phone required my Google account information to login. Once again figured this would be no big deal so I entered my info. "Login failed." Tried again. And again. Ran to the library in between presentations to confirm my sanity in entering the correct password, changed the password, tried again. Nope. Couldn't use my phone all day since I couldn't unlock it, after the day was over I hurried to the Verizon store to see what was up. After 2 1/2 hours, another password change, and no success on the assistants end, they decided to give me a new phone. Glitch? All I know is that I'm not trying that pattern lock again :rolleyes2.

2 people like this.
  3. droiddismay

droiddismay New Member

Droid purchased 11-7-09. On 11-8, I experienced several reboots that I didn't initiate.
    Set the alarm function to wake me this morning, that didn't happen, and now the phone won't turn on. I will pull the battery soon and try that, but it goes without saying that this problem should not happen. The phone was plugged into the supplied charger overnite, and before plugging in, had 40% of batt life remaining.
    - to be continued.

Another observation: the white light next to the charging port is on, charger has been unplugged for several hours. Charger is very diffecult to plug in, possible physical problem with the carge/data port?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    2 people like this.
  4. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

If you decide to get a replacement to solve some of these issues, please post back stating whether the replacement has fixed the problem. My suggestion: Get a replacement sooner than later. After 30 days, you will be forced to get a certified "like-new" refurbished device (if available, since the phone is so new...it may be a while before refurbs become available). So, if you get in contact with them soon, you'll be able to get a brand new replacement device.

1 person likes this.
  5. droiddismay

droiddismay New Member

Update to above Droid Problems:
    With phone locked up, went back to Verizon, after pulling the batt, it worked fine.( I had pulled the battery and restarted the phone 4 times that day) it never glitched once while in the V store, I played for 40 min., perfect. No force close of camera or anything like had happened before. The best Part? Verizon took my word of the problems, and swapped me for a new phone. Absolutely Awesome. Loaded the exact same apps, and played all day- only one weird force quit-that happened when i was fumbling for the alarm turn-off at 5:30am.
    Verdict: Verizon-Rocks. I will happily pay more for service, to a company that gives me such great service! The Droid by Motorola- I'm sold. Love it.

2 people like this.
  6. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

As I thought-Device problem.

All fixed!

1 person likes this.
  7. ooblick

ooblick New Member

Overall, I like my Droid very much and am comparing it to the iPhone to decide which one I want to keep paying for service with.

The bluetooth problems I've had with the Droid may be deal breakers if they aren't resolved. The first is bluetooth to my Prius. It pairs and connects fine, but after shutting down the car, it won't reconnect with the Droid. I tried manually reconnecting several times but all failed. I then removed the profile from the hands free on the Prius, re-paired and reconnected and that worked. However, I noticed that somehow the Droid's bluetooth seems to have interfered with the iPhone's, and the iPhone would not connect to the Prius. I had to delete and re-pair it as well. Having previously had 5 phone profiles on the Prius, none of them interfering, I suspect the Droid.

I had similar bluetooth issues with the Jawbone headset. It randomly decides not to connect and it takes several attempts, sometimes randomly disconnecting.

Third issue has to do with self signed SSL certificates for email. Selecting SSL - accept all certificates doesn't. Attempting to upload a certificate to store as trusted brought up a request for a password. As the client side of the certificate is supposed to be its public key, asking for a password doesn't make sense. I tried downloading a new mail client, K-9, but that crashed before it could be configured. I deleted it, redownloaded, and had the same issue.

I'm not sure that returning the phone would make any difference, but I may try it anyway.

UPDATE: I exchanged the phone and found that some issues seemed to be hardware related. The bluetooth interference issue is still there, but not nearly as bad. I could connect with the jawbone first time, and after a few tries, it re-connected with the Prius without re-pairing. Strangely, K-9 email client ran fine, and has the option for "Use SSL if available" which took care of the self-signed certificate issue. However, the app "Phonebook" will not work. Another interesting quirk is that if the data cable is enabled (mounted to a PC) you can't access some of the data on the SD card, like the Gallery.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    3 people like this.
  8. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

9. pennypritty1

pennypritty1 New Member

10. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

They aren't suggesting any particular kind, but if you buy it directly from Verizon, you can refund or exchange it within 30 days if it doesn't work.

I'd also assume that a Motorola headset would work better than the others with the Droid.

11. GadgetRick

GadgetRick New Member

My (older) Jawbone seems to work fine so far.

12. mastrsk8

mastrsk8 New Member

Despite my instincts, I bought a Droid on 11/6. Long story short, my messaging app keeps force quitting and the phone crashes about once a day. I have to pull the battery to get it to start up again. A "Hard Reset", did nothing for the phone. 2 minutes out of the store the messaging app froze again. I will be exchanging it tomorrow. Despite these problems, I really love the phone!!

1 person likes this.
  13. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

App problem, not a phone problem. Exchanging will probably not fix the issue.

This is the major downside of open development and open apps...sometimes they don't operate well, find a new app of similar features.

14. mastrsk8

mastrsk8 New Member

Sorry, my first post was a bit confusing. I believe that I have 2 separate issues. 1) Is the pre installed messaging app freezing. 2) The other is random phone crashing. 3 times I pulled it out of my pocket to have to pull the battery, 2 times after phone calls being terminated (end of conversation) the phone crashed only to have to pull the battery to start it back up.
    Sorry about that.
    3) After the "Hard Restart", apps show in use when I've only just opened the phone. I use Advanced App Killer to "Kill" apps when I haven't even used them. Keep in mind when I put the phone down I "Kill" the apps. Weird bugs. The RAM goes from 128m to 98m. I don't know, could bad RAM be causing the problems?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  15. GadgetRick

GadgetRick New Member

I would go exchange the phone. I've not had any problems like this (yet).

16. blekenbleu

blekenbleu New Member

Re: Problems With Motorola Droid

1) Battery drains over night
    This has occurred several times, after full power down with airplane mode set,
    then stored into Verizon holster. I speculate that the holster map press volumr
    and/or camera button, but who knows?

Sleep mode (brief press of power button) with airplane mode drains battery
    less than 10% over night, so this is unlikely to be a battery problem per se.

2) Cannot pair with a Bluetooth keyboard.
    A shame, since the slide-out keyboard really is quite useless.
    The landscape touch screen keyboard is OK, but dominates the display.
    One hopes that the claimed "open" aspect of Android will allow folks
    to add Bluetooth profiles.

3) After full power off, trying to connect to our NETGEAR WGR614 v6 using WPA-PSK
    usually confuses router WiFi so that it must be powered off/on before
    anything can reconnect. Reconnecting Droid from sleep does not provoke this.
    The access point has the latest firmware, but I am willing to believe that this
    is a NETGEAR bug, although neither of our notebook PCs provoke this
    (both use Broadcom Wi-Fi NICs, albeit of vastly different generations).

17. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

That's pretty strange - I wonder is something is keeping it 'on'. Is it constantly searching for a signal of something

I haven't found anything that says a bluetooth keyboard is supported.
    Do you know specifically what it's confusing? I would try switching out the router and see what happens.

18. blekenbleu

blekenbleu New Member

Yes, I assume that it is a firmware bug, rather than something uniquely faulty on mine.

Early days, yet;
    I cannot be the only one who will occasionally want to touch-type into a Droid..

No idea what confuses the NETGEAR; I have ordered a dual-N D-Link with a good reputation for being stable.

19. megamus

megamus New Member

Droid. The phone locks up with a blank screen. You have to take the battery out to reboot it. After that it works fine. I find that this happens after having been on the phone for long periods of time. Like say 45minutes or more. This is the third phone I have had. They all do this. Is there anyway to prevent it?:flamemad:

20. berkeleywalker

berkeleywalker New Member

I have had the Droid for about two weeks, and I am experiencing ever more problems. Here's a sample:

1. The volume for my ringer, music, and other audio functions is low, despite being set on the highest possible volume. This function was working fine until today.

2. When making a call, the screen goes black and cannot be reawakened, making it impossible to end a call, fetch the dial pad, or activate my speaker phone. This blackout happens randomly. When I got an answering machine on a call yesterday, I could not disconnect it for nearly 10 minutes, racking up minutes. (I now realize I should have taken out the battery, but what a hassle!)

3. Sometimes the when I chose the browser from the on-screen icon, the screen is blank and stays blank. The only way I can get anywhere on line is to hit to the quick-search icon on the bottom of the screen.

4. When using the keypad, I have no auto-replace, auto-cap or suggested-word display.
    I have selected all the options available on the device-keyboard menu. Is this a glitch? Is there an app I can download that would make the keyboard as user friendly to a bad speller as the touch keypad?

5. The master icons at the bottom of the screen are not always responsive. Because there is no feedback, I don't know whether I haven't tapped the right spot or tapped hard enough or if the phone is just balky.

6. It is difficult not to get a "." when touching the right side of the space bar on the touch pad. It requires far more care than is compatible with quick "typing."

7. It is incredibly tricky to go back to correct a mistake when typing an e-mail or text message or a url. Touching the screen is imprecise, a best getting me near the place I want to be. It would be nice to have a backspace that is not a back-space erase or arrow keys to move the cursor.

8. The highly touted camera sucks. Unless I am shooting scenery or posed subjects, the camera is way too slow to get a decent shot of anything moving. What you see is not what you get. In fact the freeze frame that shows up when you take a picture is not the actual shot. I have yet to figure this out.

9. The video has crashed several times. I have no idea why.

8. This is not a problem, just a complaint: The apps I can get in the market are really inferior to the ones my husband can get on his iPhone. I trust this situation will improve.

1 person likes this.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.