1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about ENV3

Discussion in 'LG enV' started by AZJim, Aug 28, 2012.

1. AZJim

AZJim New Member

Okay, really dumb question, please go easy...

My internal screen on my ENV3 just died, otherwise works fine. Very disappointed at the choices now offered by VZ in the less than $100 range. So today I ordered a new (supposedly) ENV3 off of Ebay which I'll just use for another year or two.

Now, I ONLY use my phone for calls, texting, alarm clock, calendar, photos (not video) and a very occasional VZ Navigator -- when traveling. No internet, no email, nothing using data except for the Navigator occasionally.

My question: When I get it (couple of days) do I need to worry about making sure it's got all the current software upgrades? Saw some posts on the Ebay reviews about nightmares with "old" phones and not having current updates. Do I even need them? As far as I can remember, I've NEVER upgraded my ENV3 in the 2 years I've had it. It's never been hooked up to a computer at all.

Thanks.

› See More: Questions about ENV3
  2. camstuf

camstuf /\/\s.Super/\/\odette

Re: REALLY dumb newb question!

Some upgrades are performed Over the air (OTA)
    Upgrades are used to fix bugs in the phones OS making it more stable, they are also used to update phone to the networks new towers, and database etc.
    Might be a good idea to update.
    The VZ site should have all the info you need.

3. AZJim

AZJim New Member

Thanks. Now, here's some excerpts from one of the scary reviews I read. Can anyone take a look and give me your thoughts on this person's experience, and whether I may run into the same thing (buying the phone yet over a year after this person posted this?). And if so, what to do?

"The Verizon Rep I got this time (by calling) did a research on the phone and found out the phone was 1 1/2 years old since it had been mfg... He also told me that since this phone had been mfg..it had 6 new software updates and this may be the reason the phone is powering off and on.. It needs the new software updates. He then reconnected the phone and tried to do it over the phone manually but could not. The phone declined software updates. I was then advised to take it to one of the stores that could do this. I get to the store and the rep advises me that because the phone is 6 software updates behind it may cause the memory circuits to overload and burn out the phone. I chose not to get the updates and take a risk of damaging the phones memory circuits."

4. camstuf

camstuf /\/\s.Super/\/\odette

possible, not likely

5. AZJim

AZJim New Member

Ok, the new Ebay phone is here...now I see the section on VZ wesbite that shows you how to activate. And I have the manual and there's even a page on how to update the software. This all looks SO easy but I'm freaked out by that sticky thread here on "how to update firmware" which says in bold "DON'T try it if you've never updated phone software before!"

So I'm getting conflicting info there. Also, the only reason I got a new* one is because my inside screen went black...phone was still working great otherwise. Now that being said, can I just switch the SD card from the old phone to the new and be off an running? That is, I'm wondering what exactly is stored on the card? Is it only contacts, pictures, music, etc. or is "software" in a sense also on the card.

*as for "new" well I got it from an apparently very reputable Ebay-er...100,000s of positive feedback, etc. etc. and the phone "looks" new...but I'm a skeptic. The white box it came in is some generic box, not the VZ box I still have from my first one...and I can tell the protective plastic film on the screens etc. was not "factory" it was cut and put on later. But it is smooth and shiny, so...

All this will be no biggie if it works and I can get another 2 or so years out of it...

What are your thoughts on these concerns of mine? Thanks!

6. simplyfun

simplyfun New Member

My husband's family has had a few ENV3's in their possession. A few things to note about the power off problem.

1) In some cases the power off problem has to deal with the battery compartment or battery. Basically the compartment and the battery were slightly malformed. This would trigger a phone restart as the phone shifted. You wont be able to see this with the naked eye. One time we fixed two of the malfunctioning ENV3's by simply swapping the batteries.
    2) Updating the firmware really isn't that bad. If you are really worried about it, you can bring it to Verizon store. The store should update the firmware for you. Just remember to go at a time they aren't super busy. Also, make sure it is an actual Verizon store and not an "authorized retailer." Stores that are actually owned by the company have more goodies to fix your phone. You can always call customer service to find out if the store is owned by Verizon.
    3) This doesn't happen to all the ENV3's. It was popular for us so I've seen about 5 of these phones. Only 3 out of the 5 had this power off problem. Those 3 ended up getting upgraded to different phones eventually. My husband's niece was able to hers intact for about 4 years with no problems. The inside buttons fell off because she is an avid texting teenager.
    4) Verizon doesn't store the games/software or contacts on the SD card. You will have to purchase games/software again on the new phone. The only thing on the card will be media files like pictures and videos.

Hope I helped a little bit. :)

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?