1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Randomly Shuts off

Discussion in 'LG Voyager' started by KevMo!, Mar 20, 2008.

1. KevMo!

KevMo! New Member

I returned my old phone because it kept shutting off on me in the middle of the night about 5 or 6 times, so my alarm wouldn't go off in the morning. After I returned the phone and got a new one, it did the exact same thing last night. Last night was the 1st time my new phone shut off on me, it was also my first time syncing my phone to my computer with bitpim. Do you think its bitpim thats doing it or do you think I just got another bad phone? What do you think I should do?:(

› See More: Randomly Shuts off
  2. isolomon

isolomon New Member

For what its worth, I've used the alarm quite a few times with no problem. I use DataPilot to Sync. I've never used BitPim.
    Have you updated the firmware to 7?
  3. KevMo!

KevMo! New Member

yeah the firmware is up to date. the phone is brand new i just got it like a couple weeks ago
  4. Danmaan

Danmaan New Member

How's the battery when it turns off? They tend to turn off if the battery is too low...
  5. KevMo!

KevMo! New Member

all the times that it has turned off randomly it has been on the charger for both phones, and when i find the phone its usually pretty well charged.
  6. InSANe krAZy

InSANe krAZy New Member

maybe its charged too much? although i charge my phone over night all night every night an i dont have any problems
  7. twitch77

twitch77 New Member

my voyager does the same thing.
    it doesn't matter what my battery strength is at (it's randomly shut off when it's fully charged, and it's randomly shut off when the battery is on the last bar).
    it's even randomly shut off when i've been charging it before.

i've heard 2 rumors. . .none of which are confirmed.
    1 rumor is that it's something with the hardware. . .that there's a short of some sort on the motherboard (or whatever it's called lol) in the phone, and there's no way of fixxing this.
    the other rumor is that it's the battery. there was a guy on a different forum that was having the same problem with his voyager, and after replacing his voyager 3 or 4 times (everyone of them having the same problem with randomly shutting off) verizon decided to try and send him a new battery. ever since the battery was changed, he hasn't had the problem since.

i'm still on the original firmware, and haven't tried the switching batteries yet. . .it only annoys me when it decides to turn it self off while i'm in the middle of watching youtube vids.
    thnx.
  8. cheapsk8ter07

cheapsk8ter07 New Member

Ive had 5 voyagers each one shut off ramdomly. there is talk about if you dont have them change the battery then it will keep shutting off but i have had new batterys in each of the phones. Also theres something going around about if you get the IM update that the phone will start shutting off again. Today at 6 i got my 5th voyager not but 20 mins later the phone was already shutting off. i didnt do any IM upgrades and i had a new battery.
  9. XdenimheadX

XdenimheadX New Member

clearly this is a common problem
    but for what its worth ive never run bitpim nor have i experienced it

i have though experienced the freeze and reboot cycle from time to time if i am scrolling through pictures to fast or clicking to many icons at once on the navigation or internet but while the phone is not in use on standby this has never been a problem for me
  10. goulav

goulav New Member

i'm on my third voyager. the first two had 10kv05 software and the new one has 10kv07 software and all three shut off when the browser is launched. i'm taking this one back and see if they will replace it with something else.
  11. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

Cell phones in general seem to do this. But the more advanced the phone is and the more advanced features it has, also cause this to happen more often. A Cell phone doesn't use it's memory like a computer, so it can't refresh the resources. So after those resources are gone, the phone will reset itself to get those resources back. That is why I power-cycle my phone (Turn off/Then back on) my phone at least every few days. So if your using the hell out of your phone by watching movies, listening to music, ect, your phone is going to reset more often. Your phone could be defective though, but every single phone I have ever used on every carrier I have ever used, has reset like this.

Also, have much of the phones Internal memory have you been using? The less the phone has, the more problems your going to have. Mainly use the memory card when your putting things on your phone.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  12. isolomon

isolomon New Member

I've been following this thread although it hasn't happened to me. I think the previous reply makes a great deal of sense. I store everything I can on the card. I think I might turn it off and then on at bedtime just to be safe.
  13. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

You knows what's crazy about this? I wasn't having any problems with my phone resetting, but right after I posted a comment on here my phone started acting up. My phones memory is barely used up but my memory card is almost full. So I'm wondering if that could be a problem. A computer loads software, pictures, movies, ect from the hard drive to the RAM so it can be run. So in a phone the memory card is like a second hard drive. So maybe what's happening is the memory card content is so massive that is is using up the RAM too quickly when loading things; which then causes the phone to reset. I'm most like going to get the loading content. I'm going to update to Firmware 9 and hope that corrects this problem. Someone was saying we can still use Bitpim if we set it to detect the LG Dare. So if that is true then I wouldn't have a problem getting Firmware 9.
  14. Skipper1013

Skipper1013 New Member

I am on my 5th voyager and only the last 2 shut off only when I went on the internet. If I go to favorites it does not but if I go to regular internet it does. Anyone have any ideas?
  15. sned

sned New Member

yeah I own a voyager too and I always thought it unlocks and then shuts off but the weird thing is that it never does the faint vibration. My sister has the voyager Titanium with latest firmware and she doesn't have this issue

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?