1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to Remove T9 "symbol strings" from Voyager's internal dictionary

Discussion in 'LG Voyager' started by fletch622, Jan 31, 2008.

1. fletch622

fletch622 New Member

Hi all,

My first post here. But hopefully one that someone can shed a little more light on moreso than the LG and Verizon tech support people I'd been dealing with.

For all of you who own a Voyager (VX10000), there seems to be an annoying bug regarding the phone storing "symbol strings" into its T9 dictionary.

I thought I was the only one having this issue, until I discovered this thread last night.

In my specific case, after writing a message to a friend telling him that a job I'd been applying for would pay "$40-$50k/year", the Voyager has now stored this in its T9 dictionary for whenever the "$" symbol is used. (my default message entry mode is set to "Word") This occurs regardless of whether the flip is open (QWERTY keyboard - temporarily disables word completion under normal circumstances) or closed (traditional T9 predictive entry method).

I am forced to delete twelve characters before I can have normal functionality of the "$" symbol; this is getting rather irritating.

This scenario isn't limited to the "$" - on my phone, it also occurs with digits, "(", "%", and "=" as well.

People have discussed changing the mode to "Abc" to temporarily alleviate the situation (mostly to avoid this quirk during QWERTY entry), but I was hoping someone knew of a more concrete solution to this.

Verizon Wireless's tech support people informed me that they only maintain their text messaging service - the functionality and the software programming is maintained by LG themselves.

LG's response to my tech support email:

"Regretfully, you are not able to change the T9 texting. I do apologize for the inconvenience. -Ms. Kristi Electronic Correspondence Executive (ECE)"

Contrary to LG's response, has anyone discovered a way to remove these irritating "symbol-string" entries from the Voyager's T9 dictionary (or wherever it is storing them) aside from restoring the phone to factory defaults?

I discovered the BitPim application last night, but nothing shows up under the T9 section to delete; if anyone has any expertise in that area, I would appreciate that info as well.

Thanks for your help!

› See More: Remove T9 "symbol strings" from Voyager's internal dictionary
  2. Phases

Phases New Member

Re: How to remove T9 "symbol strings" from Voyager's internal dictionary

Using Bitpim, go into the Filesystem. Expand the root and look in the bottom folder t9udb.

There is a file called t9udb_eng.dat. Right click and save it to your hard drive.

The stuff is stored in there. If you dare to edit it and send it back to the phone - lemme know how it goes! I haven't done it yet, and probably won't considering I know how often I use the symbols and how quickly they will be back anyway.

3. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Re: How to remove T9 "symbol strings" from Voyager's internal dictionary

Stickying this :)

4. bennyboytx

bennyboytx New Member

A suggestion. If someone where to take a Voyager fresh out the the box and extract this file with the t9 dictionary, could other's use it to do a "fresh restart" , so to say, on their phone?

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?