1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Rice trick

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fidgety, May 7, 2014.

1. Fidgety

Fidgety New Member

Does the phone-in-rice trick work with smartphones? My nephew dropped his phone into the river while he was fishing and he didn't opt for insurance. If he can't get it working, he'll have to buy a new one.

› See More: Rice trick
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

It might. If anything it's worth a try. If the phone isn't shorted in some way the only other way to get it working it to take everything apart and clean with pure alcohol. The part that commonly damages the phone is the dried deposits left on the circuit boards and behind any buttons. The only way to get that out is the physically remove it.

3. Charlie

Charlie New Member

Fidgety -- We've been there before! I feel your pain. The rice trick worked in a way, but in a way it didn't. The phone never had full functionality after that, but at least we could make phone calls with it until we were able to replace it. Good luck.

4. Danielle

Danielle New Member

That rice trick never worked for me but then, I've never had the best of luck with phones! Now I just suck it up and buy the insurance, ha. Good luck.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Member

The longer the phone is in the water, the less likely the rice will work. But get it in rice ASAP, and do NOT turn the phone on. Leave in rice for at least 3 days.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?