1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Roaming, or not?

Discussion in 'Alltel' started by Smooth23, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Smooth23

Smooth23 New Member

So I got me a cell finally, and being the smart guy I am, I got alltel because thats who I call most (free mobile to mobile) and because she hasn't had problems. Also, I travel around the country during the summer, and their 'national freedom plan seems good. So here I am, leaving my home state of michigan, yacking with my g/f when I cross the state line into indiana and BOOM my call is dropped and I get a roaming indicator. All the way through indiana, illinois and now in the middle of missouri(at the for leonard wood army base) its still roaming. My sister told me it was probably just my phone saying I was roaming cause I was off my phones home area- makes sense. So I try to make a call from here(which I've been told this particular spot in BFE doesn't have alltel reception) and I get a message saying I'm roaming on verizon's network.. Now I've read some stuff about verizon and alltel being homies and such. Basically I want to know: A. If I am indeed roaming and therefor going to be charged $.59/min, B. How can I tell when I am roaming and when I'm not? I've got a razr v3c that shows your network and sys ID - if there's a list of alltels anywhere.
    I really need to be able to use my phone alot, but clearly can't afford to pay $.59/min. Help please!

› See More: Roaming, or not?
  2. agentHibby

agentHibby New Member

Go to this website and see if the system ID is free roam or pay roam not all VZW network is free roam, but most is.

SID 80 and 530 should be free roam on National Freedom plans

Do *22801 on Alltel's network (this is for cellular system B) to update roaming (PRL).

The roaming indcator should flash on/off for a network that is free roam and sometime your alpha tag should say Extended Network
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  3. bigdaddyek82

bigdaddyek82 New Member

ANSWER: Easy way to tell if you are roaming without doing any homework and trying to decipher all the SID bullcrap.. Very simple, naturally your phone will think its roaming if you leave your local area, which could be comprised of several countys or the entire state. Your phone will give you a flashing roaming indicator. It could be a R or a small triangle depending on the maker. As long as the indicator is flashing, you are covered in Alltel's National freedom footprint. If at any time the flashing indicator remains solid that means you are actually roaming and fees may apply. Alltels National Freedom footprint covers nearly 90% of the U.S., making Alltell communications "Americas largest wireless network". :smart:
    1 person likes this.
  4. sastone75

sastone75 New Member

Bigdaddy is right about the roaming indicator. Though that is only valid on National freedom plans. State plan of course cover the state, the Total freedom speaks for itself... :) National is when the flashing indicator lets you know you in your network and the solid lets you know you are actually roaming. :)

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?