1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to Sell your Verizon unlimited data plan & keep your number

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by jdeg, Jul 12, 2014.

1. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

If you still have one of those coveted grandfathered unlimited Verizon data plans, you are probably aware that people want to buy them in order to use lots of cellular data! Lately single lines have been selling for as much as $600!! And yes, it is completely legal to sell and transfer your Verizon contract to someone else. It's called Assumption of Liability (AOL). As long as both parties agree, you can do it, AND you can keep your number!

Here's how to do it:
    1. Sign up with a new service provider and get a new phone number - do NOT port over your existing Verizon number yet. It has to be done this way because Verizon will lock your account if the order is put through by your new service provider. If this happens you have to port the number back to Verizon to save it.
    2. Sign into My Verizon and make sure it stays logged in
    3. Call your new service provider and port over your Verizon number. They may have a specific port number. (for example, AT&T is 888-898-7685). You will need your Verizon account number and billing pin, which can be found in My Verizon. You also have to be able to make changes on your Verizon account (one member of a family plan without permissions to make changes cannot do this)
    4. Once you receive confirmation that your Verizon number has been ported to your new provider, IMMEDIATELY go to My Verizon, click "Change Mobile Number", and "Get a new number" for your Verizon service. You will have the option to select the area code, select today's date. It should take about 15 min for the process to complete.
      099c3da496[1].png
      verizon_new_number_transfer.PNG
      • The timing of this step has to be just right- If you wait too long Verizon will lock you account and you will be unable to get a new number for your unlimited data plan. If this happens you'll see the screen below which will indicate you have an 'order pending'. If you see this screen, you'll have to port your number back to Verizon, and then back to your new provider again, which is a huge pain in the butt.
        verizon_aol_change_number_problem.PNG
      • Do not change your Verizon number first, or your number will be lost
      • Verizon will tell you that the only way to keep your phone number AND unlimited data is to stay with them. This is not true - it can be done if you follow this guide exactly
    5. While the numbers are transferring to your new and old phones, there may be some downtime - at the most 48 hours depending on when things are initiated, but for most people it will take less than 24 hours.
    6. Once both phones are working and they have the correct phone numbers you can sell your unlimited data plan - you can use Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay , Cellswapper.com - Cellswapper.com - Get out of your Cell Phone-Mobile-Wireless Contract and the various online forums, like this one :)
    7. After you sell your plan you need to call Verizon at (888) 832-4540 and tell them that you want to do an AOL for your line. You'll need the phone number and the name of the buyer handy. Then the buyer will need to call Verizon and confirm that they are taking over your contract. If they are not already a Verizon customer they will have to go through a credit check. Assuming all goes well, you should get an email from Verizon saying that the transfer is in progress and will probably take a day to complete. Note: If they do not pass the credit check they may want their money back! You may want to ask potential buyers to make sure they qualify before making the purchase.
    8. That's it! You should now have a new phone/plan with the same number and some extra money in your pocket!

IMPORTANT:
    The person who buys the line must NOT:

• Have bad credit - they must pass a credit check to open a new Verizon account or already be a Verizon customer
    • Accept a subsidized phone on the line. If this happens Verizon will insist on changing or automatically remove their unlimited data plan!
    • Switch to a pooled family data plan
    • Switch to a share everything plan or anything other than a NationWide talk plan including the new edge plans

Tip: You can port your number to Google Voice if you want. This costs $20 and will take 24 hours to do.
    Tip2: Wait until your contract is up, but DO NOT renew it. Lines that aren't under contract sell for more.
    Tip3: Selling accounts with additional lines that do not have unlimited data sell for less. If you can, move that line or cancel it before you sell. If that line is under contract then you may be better off taking the ETF fee rather then selling the unlimited data line for less.
    Tip4: Advertise that you can change the number with the unlimited data to one that better suits the buyer as long as they don't mind waiting for the process to complete. If this is the case then wait until the line is sold to do steps 1-4.

› See More: Sell your Verizon unlimited data plan & keep your number
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    ryanvzw and jagrsa like this.
  2. Aaron Leonard

Aaron Leonard New Member

Is there still an ETF if you do an AOL?

ryanvzw likes this.
  3. jdeg

No, because technically you're not canceling the contract, you're transferring it to someone else.

4. Sugarbee151

Sugarbee151 New Member

I would like to sell my grandfathered unlimited data plan with 450 talk minutes.

Can I post an ad for it on this forum?

I don't see a "post" or "create thread option."

5. jdeg

You can in the for sale forum if you want: For Sale/Wanted The new thread button should be at the top right

6. jdeg

Updated with a couple additional notes.

7. jdeg

Added some additional screen shots and made things more clear on how exactly the process has to take place.

8. ralflo

ralflo New Member

Thanks for the info!
    Is all of this info still current?
    I've heard that you can't transfer liability of a line as of 11/13/14?

9. baten

baten New Member

I would also like to know if this info is still current. I currently have an unlimited plan that I am ready to sell and your instructions are great, but would like to know if this still works. Thank you in advance.

10. jdeg

As far as I know, yes. See this page on the Verizon site: My Verizon FAQs | Verizon Wireless

11. droid4lif3

droid4lif3 New Member

Hi Verizon suspended my account for porting my number to T-Mobile. I thought they would have just given me a new number instead of suspending it. Is there anyway that Verizon can just give me a new number instead of making me port my number back to Verizon, I don't want to cancel my T-Mobile account for doing this. Any tips would be cool.

12. thinman

thinman New Member

WARNING: I just went through this process and literally the second Google Voice transferred my number my verizon account was locked out and deleted, there was not way to request a new number. I called customer service and they were firm that I had to port the number back to avoid early termination fees and reinstate my account.

13. jdeg

I had to do the porting twice. The second time I ported the number and then immediately requested a new one. There's only a minute or so that this can be done. I would port it back and try again, and since you've moving the number to Google Voice, open everything in Verizon and Google and do both as close together as possible.

thinman likes this.
  14. thinman

thinman New Member

Thanks for the tip - I can't afford to keep throwing $20 bucks at it and then an hour on the line with Verizon fixing it though.

15. thinman

thinman New Member

Part of the problem too was it took a full 24hrs for the transfer to complete and I received notification from Verizon before Google. I had been checking it manually and had checked it 5mins before and then I get a Verizon text saying the line was disconnected. Perhaps there is a minute window but I don't know how to hit it reasonably.

16. baten

baten New Member

This worked for me perfectly the first time, using these instructions. While I was on the phone with my new carrier, they said the port was started and I would receive a confirmation email. At first I was a little hesitant thinking I should wait for confirmation before switching my Verizon number but I didn't wait and I created the new number on Verizon's website right away. This worked great for me and I would recommend these instructions.

jdeg likes this.
  17. thinman

thinman New Member

I figured out that when you are doing this with Google voice you start the port and WHILE YOU ARE STILL WITHIN THE 24hr transfer period - request a new number at Verizon and many have confirmed it transfers to GV without issue and you get a new number without locking your account at Verizon.

So be wary that waiting until "transfer is confirmed" as OP states with GV or you will be locked out of your Verizon acct and have to transfer back as I did.

jdeg likes this.
  18. jdeg

Thanks for the update - I'll edit the instructions to include that note about Google Voice.

19. Tom

Tom Member

Looking for Verizon Unlimited Data plans. Message me if you have one.

20. Kristen

Kristen New Member

I have Nationwide Talk Share 700 with 2 lines, the first line has unlimited data and the 2nd line has 4gb. I'm not under contract on either line. I want to split off the 2nd line onto a new verizon unlimited talk/text plan and sell the first line with unlimited data. So I'm trying to determine how to list it for sell. Will it just be Nationwide Talk Share 700 with 1 line access charge a month or does the buyer have to pay for a 2nd line access charge since the voice plan is a share plan.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?