1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to Sell your Verizon unlimited data plan & keep your number

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by jdeg, Jul 12, 2014.

1. JAttlilaH

JAttlilaH New Member

Oh, and if anyone wants to purchase my account that isn't under contract with two UDP and 1400 shared minutes, let me know. :)

› See More: Sell your Verizon unlimited data plan & keep your number
  2. Chocu1a

Chocu1a New Member

Just wanted to follow up on my situation.
    I was transferring my number to Cricket Wireless. Cricket sent me a sim and everything was setup on their end, All I had to do was activate the new sim.
    I opened 2 windows on my pc, One with MYVERIZON, the other with the Cricket activation.
    On the MyVerizon site & went through the "request new number" setup but did not hit "complete". On the Cricket site I filled out all the activation info, but did not hit "confirm". I put the new sim in my phone, but did NOT turn it on yet.
    I then completed the Cricket activation page. Immediately after it said "Congrats & Welcome to Cricket", I completed the Verizon request for new number. I was assigned a new number & logged out/back in to MyVerizon to make sure my account was still active.
    Then I turned on my phone & Still had my old number on the new service.

3. AceNJ

AceNJ New Member

Hi all, I read through this thread but need some guidance. I have a 700 min family share plan with 3 lines, all off contract. 2 lines are on UDP and the 3rd is a basic phone. My goal is to sell both UDPs and keep all 3 phone numbers. I also plan to start 3 NEW lines using iPhone 6s "device payment" plans to take advantage of their $300 trade in promotion with some cheap $15 smartphones. Ultimately these 3 NEW lines/devices will be what I want to end up with under their new shared "Verizon Plan". I understand there will be some overlap in service to make this successful as the 3 NEW lines will be added with individual data plans temporarily.

1. My understanding is that UDP can only go to a business account or another consumer account that already has an existing UDP line. True?
    2. Through the AOL process, am I transferring my entire account (3 lines) and 700min plan or can I sell one UDP line at a time? One of the UDP lines is the "main" line. How does the main line impact the process (if at all)?
    3. Assuming that I can sell 1 UDP at a time while keeping my account with the basic phone, there should be no need for me to port the basic line to Google Voice, I can just swap numbers/devices later and cancel the old basic line. Does "Device Payments" cling to the NEW phone number? Even so, I can just pay the devices off to bring back my old phone numbers from GV?

4. Beerinator

Beerinator New Member

I too have similar questions. I am thinking of selling my 2 lines and starting 2 new lines under the verizon plan. Process would look like this:
    1. Start 2 new lines under the verizon plan, under the same account.
    2. Transfer the 2 UDP phone numbers to the 2 new lines
    3. Do the AOL for the UDP lines to whoever takes over the 2 lines.
    Would this work and also would using some cheap smart phones work for the 300 credit promotion they have now? Also would prepaid phones from like TracPhone work?

Thanks!

5. fijizzle

fijizzle New Member

I have an unlimited data plan with no contract that I'm aiming to sell.

The thing is... I don't suppose that I can sell it, AND remain on Verizon, instead of switching to another carrier, can I?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. Beerinator

Beerinator New Member

Fijizzle, you can essentially open another line as a sub account and then sell off your line. This way you have your sub account and verizon is giving you 300 for starting a new line with a trade. YOu can buy a cheap smart phone at walmart for 10 dollars and use that as the turn in.

7. fijizzle

fijizzle New Member

Thank you for the response, Beerinator! It sounded like a perfect plan until I read the fine print. Haha.

"New device payment activation req’d. Trade-in for $300 VZW gift card.
    Smartphone trade-in must be in good, working condition. Excludes upgrades."

8. jagrsa

jagrsa New Member

Ok if anybody could please clarify some of this information, I’d appreciate it. I just want to make sure I’m understanding everything correctly. Anybody that has gone through this process please feel free to chime in.

First I have to purchase a new number from a different provider. After logging in to My Verizon, I should could call the same provider that I just purchased the new number from and ask them to port my current Verizon number over? Do I tell my new provider that I already have an account with them and wish to replace it with my ported number from Verizon? This is the part where I want to be sure I’m understanding it correctly. Thank you.

PS. I plan on doing this with T-Mobile. Anyone have any trouble going about this with T-Mobile?

Thanks in advance.

9. KiddEng

KiddEng New Member

I have yet to do this, however I had a online chat with a VZ rep. I asked if i can create a new line/account under my current account with the UDP and swap the associated numbers. So the number i want to keep is now on the "new" line, and the UDP line is associated with the other cell phone number. The rep indicated this can be done and the numbers swapped by calling the customer service line (800-922-0204).

This will now result in me keeping the number that I want, and the UDP line is now able to be AOL'd. I also asked/confirmed that by doing this number swapping, that the UDP will not be affected; the rep assured me as long as it's not an upgrade, the data/features remain unchanged.

10. JAlstad

JAlstad New Member

Not sure if I should do this or not. Currently have a UDP on a 700 talk/text shareplan with 2 other 2gb smartphone lines. I would of course want to keep my phone number and probably stay with Verizon, and just switch all 3 lines to one 6gb The Verizon Plan or something less expensive.

Currently paying $30/month for my unlimited data plus line access fee, etc. but with the unlimited plan jumping up another $20/month, I don't think I can justify the extra $$. Does anyone know if I would be able to get a subsidized phone while doing this? I shattered my Nexus 6 that I had bought off contract just last month, so now I'm back on my Moto X 2013, which is great and all, but breaking my phone has me wanting that new Turbo 2 quite a bit.

Also, if any of this makes sense, is there anybody interested in buying this who has a little experience/know-how on the process?

Attached Files:

11. Ripper3785

Ripper3785 New Member

This is at least the second time I've seen this mentioned in the thread. Can anyone who's done this recently confirm it works? An ex-VZW employee friend of mine told me "You can't move your phone number between plans and phones."

12. Kfp

Kfp New Member

I have an UDP plan that I want to aol but I want to keep my existing phone #. What is the easiest way to do that?

Is it easiest to port over to Google Voice or to another carrier. Have had my existing home for over 15 years so don't want to lose it.

13. sideout

sideout New Member

I am hoping anyone can help to make sure I do this right. The main plan is to get rid of VZW totally and move to Sprint. I will port 4-5 lines over. I say that because I have 5 lines, witho one being the UDP
    I am trying to find out how to sell/AOL and was hoping someone here might verify a few things.. First let me explain what I have. Here are my lines:

1. UDP
    2. 6GB
    3. 5GB
    4. 5GB
    5. Basic phone

My plan is the 700 minutes monthly family plan. All lines are still under contract.

Here is what I am planning in doing. I will be switching all lines over to Sprint soon and would rather sell the one UDP than just give it up. I plan on switching the 4 non UDP plans to Sprint that way only the UDP will be on the plan. I will then AOL this plan/line on Ebay. I am not certain as to what all I must do or if my plan is even feasible. Can you review it and tell me what you think? I REALLY appreciate your help on this.

The UDP line I do not care if I keep the number. Someone that has done this before told me to get a new number for it before I sell it on Ebay....

Right now Sprint will pay the ETF fees, so 4 of the lines I will let them do it. I am just not certain what to do with the UDP plan in order to do two things.

1. Sell it
    2. Do I port over all the other lines to Sprint before I sell the line or do I sell it first?

Thanks in advance.

14. KiddEng

KiddEng New Member

I ended up doing the GV port and getting a new number assigned to my UDP line. I didn't want to risk losing the UDP by going on what the rep was telling me; as I didn't really find any definitive proof that creating another line/account and then having VZ swap numbers really did work online. So in the end I went with porting to GV, followed the steps found online and its now 24hrs later and my number was ported successfully, and I have a new number on my UDP line.

15. KiddEng

KiddEng New Member

I've not ported with another carrier, I only done the GV port just yesterday and it went smooth. If you plan on switching carriers, probably best to follow the steps here and save yourself $20 not going through GV. If you do GV route, then when you get another carrier/line you'll have to port the number to your new account/carrier.

16. Kfp

Kfp New Member

Thank for sharing the info. Did you have any problem gettting txt msgs after porting to GV?

17. KiddEng

KiddEng New Member

Surprisingly, I'm getting texts almost right away. I didn't get them during the 24hr port period, but I am getting them now (26hrs after initiating the port).

18. bilditup1

bilditup1 New Member

Hullo everyone. There is a muddle of information about the AoL process - not just here, mind - with no place that has a centralized, clear, and unambiguous guide. The OP is the best I've been able to find, and I'm still not 100%. If possible, I'd like some straight answers, pretty please.
    • Is a 'corporate account' somehow necessary? The lines I'm seeing for sale don't appear to be corporate, but I keep seeing claims that AoLs require corporate accounts if you want UDP to continue.
    • From what I can tell, you can split off individual lines from a family plan through the AoL process - say in case of a divorce, break-up, or growing up/moving out. Is this actually the case?
    • If so, can the AoL process be done with anybody, to split off individual lines from a family plan? Not just with people already using the family plan? It should, since the other users of a family plan don't exactly have any real relationship with Verizon, but maybe they have some weird policy anyway which would restrict the use of an AoL transfer of an individual line from a family plan only to family members or something.
    • Can a family plan be split into two family plans via the AoL process?
    • If not, then what is best practice when you want to switch to another provider whilst selling whatever lines you have that still have UDP?
    Thanks a lot guys.

19. Cards77

Cards77 New Member

I have a couple of questions. I currently have a UDP with Nationwide Talk 700 and a corporate discount.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this could work:

1. I line up a buyer and add them to my existing account as an "add a line".

2. I have my wife open a new account with Verizon, and I switch my existing device with my existing number over to the new line and new plan.

3. The buyer's device then gets switched to my UDP line.

I keep my existing Galaxy S5, number on the new account on Verizon. I'm able to sell my account and the buyer can then just switch his/her device over to the UDP line.

What I want to do is: a. not switch carriers (stay with verizon), b. keep my existing device, c. sell my UDP and move to a cheaper plan.

Has anyone done something like this?

I also have an invite to Project Fi, but I would have to buy a Nexus 5X.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

20. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I have two unlimited data lines on the 1400 minute plan. Is anyone still buying?

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?