1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

How-to SMS BitPim Exception FIX

Discussion in 'LG enV' started by birdguy888, Mar 16, 2010.

1. birdguy888

birdguy888 New Member

Hello everyone! For once I get to assist in helping everyone....well, at least everyone with an enV3!

Everywhere on the web no one can use BitPim to download the SMS and no one has ever been able to fix this, not even the developers of BitPim.....well, I found the solution! I assume it will work on other LG phones as well but it definately works on the ENV3.

Go into the LG Service Menu by typing: ##lgservicemenu and then press SEND

Type in 000000 (that's 6 zeros)

Go to option #4 which is the SMS - LG option, press OK

Select #6 SMS Access and select ON

Select #7 SMS MO Enable and select ON

Hit the CLEAR button to exit the Service Menu.

Connect your phone to your computer and start BitPim and it will now download the SMS

Good luck everyone!

› See More: SMS BitPim Exception FIX
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. birdguy888

birdguy888 New Member

I noticed all the hits in the several hours since I posted this....please post and let me know if it worked for you since it did for me! Thanks!
  3. slimfinger

slimfinger New Member

a) after selecting SMS-LG, you get another menu. You did not specify which setting to set to "on".
    b) if you are referring to the "SMS Access" switch, I am unable to change the setting to "on". How did you do it?
  4. birdguy888

birdguy888 New Member

Sorry about that, I guess my brain was going faster than my fingers. I put the full details in my first post!
  5. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

made this a how-to - thanks for the info!
  6. birdguy888

birdguy888 New Member

No prob....glad I could finally contribute instead of being the one asking for assistance!
  7. slimfinger

slimfinger New Member

birdguy -

Not sure what's up, but I cannot enable "SMS Access". I am not certain if you have actually done it, either. This is because I can indeed "check" the button, but if I return to the item again, it still shows as disabled. Maybe you could check this to verify that yours does take?

If so, I am not sure why mine will not...
    If not, I wonder how it appears to fix the problem :)
  8. birdguy888

birdguy888 New Member

Mine does the same thing but once I set it to "on", BitPim now downloads my SMS and I no longer get the Exception Error..
  9. Beaugeek

Beaugeek New Member

Respectfully, for those of us unfamiliar with accessing LG cellphone menus I submit the following....

You access the Service Menu via the following steps:
    Open the phone

Fom the qwerty keyboard type:
    ##lgservicemenu (TWO pound signs, not three!)
    The phone will display:
    ##5473784236368

Use the "send" on the upper right side of the keyboard. Hit "send"

The phone should display :"Service Menu" and six question marks!
    at the : "??????" screen type 000000 (The phone should immediately show the "ServicesLG" menu)

Go to option #4 which is the SMS - LG option, press OK

Select #6 SMS Access and select ON

Select #7 SMS MO Enable and select ON

Hit the CLEAR button TWICE to exit the Service Menu.

I have not had a chance to try connecting to Bitpim, but I am hoping that it works.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  10. Beaugeek

Beaugeek New Member

No, the "fix" did NOT work for me. I followed the steps:
    Go to option #4 which is the SMS - LG option, press OK [worked no problem]

Select #6 SMS Access and select ON --- THIS DOES NOT WORK! I cannot select "on" at all! Not even temporarily ( as you suggest in one of your posts). I have tried repeatedly to select "ON" for the SMS access. Nothing happens. I am booted out of the selection as soon as I try to select "on!"

I suspect some Verizon gauleider decided that as long as people could manipulate their own SMS that Verizon was missing a couple of dollars a month and consequently got some things turned off....

I definitely appreciate your information. However, since your phone works and others obviously do not I suspect that sometime during your probably numerous attempts to make things work that you probably made a change elsewhere that allows you to manipulate your SMS. You have already been kind in placing this info out on the net. Could I ask you to check your phone to see if you can possibly find what item you changed that has made the difference for you. I realize that I may be asking you to track down "a needle in a haystack," but if it would not be too much trouble .... could you please :)
  11. birdguy888

birdguy888 New Member

Yeah, the way Verizon is with thinking that the general public can alter or improve the function or ability of their phones is a joke. Microsoft is just as bad when it comes to their gaming systems. I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon has blocked the feature in some regions. I didn't change anything else that would have affected the SMS being able to be downloaded via BitPim. The only other things I changed was the SMS MO SO to 13K (because I send/receive a LOT of messages each day) and the Pending Period to 1 minute and Retry Count to 1.....however, these should not have affected anything.
  12. Beaugeek

Beaugeek New Member

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Oh well, I tried just for giggles. No luck :(
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  13. sweetcndy87

sweetcndy87 New Member

Hey, on another site somebody told me to turn the sms access on but i went to the ##program9200 not lgservice menu and as i was trying to find an sms option i accidentally selected some MDR Mode in the Data Settings, thinking it was gonna take me somewhere else idk lol but did I mess anything up? I finally found your post about the lg service menu and got it. bitpim still wont take my sms tho. i even deleted drafts incase it was like the env.
  14. anyoneeb

anyoneeb New Member

BitPim patch to fix SMS Exception

[Sorry, the forum won't let me post links; it thinks I am a spammer. I put in the subjects of the mailing list posts instead which find the mailing list posts on Google as the first hit.]

There is another fix that does not require messing with your phone settings: I tracked down the problem with bitpim to a field being a different size on my env3 than bitpim was expecting. If you are using bitpim on Linux (and possibly Mac OS X, too, but I can't test that), then there is a one line fix described here: [google for "Re: [BitPim-devel] BitPim 1.0.7 and LG VX9200 env3 exception in SMS"; first hit]

If you are using bitpim on Windows, then you can install my patched version described here: [google for "[BitPim-devel] Windows build with working lg vx9200 (env3) SMS"; first hit] I have gotten e-mails from three Windows users with LG env3 phones telling me that it worked for them.

The patch is in the mailing list post so if you would rather compile it yourself you can. That said, compiling BitPim on Windows is a good amount of work because there are just so many dependencies to install.

IMPORTANT: As I was not sure exactly how to modify the bitpim source and it basically says (incorrectly) that the vx9200's sms is exactly like the vx9100's sms, this fix breaks bitpim for the vx9100 (along with a few other LG phones referencing the same data structures). Until someone else makes a more robust patch, I recommend only using my version if you are only using it with LG env3 phones.

This fix is intended to be a workaround until a new version of BitPim is released with working env3 support.
  15. Kubus

Kubus New Member

Thank you birdguy and anyoneeb, between that setting and the patched build of BitPim I finally, after months of frustration, got my SMS over. :-D It's good to know there's somebody out there hunting down the fixes.
  16. Kris78424

Kris78424 New Member

Same here!!!!! Thank you sooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d
  17. birdguy888

birdguy888 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013
  18. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy New Member

YOU ARE MY HERO ANYONEEB!!!! THIS HAD BEEN FRUSTRATING AND FRUSTRATING ME!!!!! I HAVE PRECIOUS TEXTS I WANT TO PRESERVE AND NOW I CAN!!! IT WAS STRESSING ME TERRIBLY (lg SUCKS for not providing software with their phones!!!) I WANT TO PAY YOU $50!!!!!
  19. birdguy888

birdguy888 New Member

SoCalGuy, also remember if you have a text you want to preserve you can open it up and forward it to your email. Same if you want to keep a certain pic too!
  20. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy New Member

I dont have data or internet. Can I still do that? If so, how?
    Thanks Birdguy!

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?