1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

SMS to Canada and back for Free (Verizon / Telus customers, please help)

Discussion in 'Other Phones' started by coutnotes, Sep 17, 2012.

1. coutnotes

coutnotes New Member

I want to text a specific cell phone, and receive text messages from that cell phone, without being charged a quarter or so per text (Ridiculous!). Right now I've finagled a one-way system for texting her, that involves me texting a google voice number, receiving a copy of that text, fwding it to [hernumber]@msg.telus.com BUT, because I cannot obtain a canadian google voice number, I can't reverse the process so she can text me back for free

RECENTLY, I've learned that not only can I receive e-mail as SMS, but I can send e-mail as SMS as well? If so this would vastly simplify the system I think- I merely have to send a text to [hernumber]@msg.telus.com, and she responds by texting [mynumber]@vtext.com? Would this incur any charges?

Assume we both want to send and receive messages to each other on our phones, and neither of us have data plans or smart phones
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

› See More: SMS to Canada and back for Free (Verizon / Telus customers, please help)

2. avenue

avenue Super Moderator

I would think sending a text message to an email wouldn't matter where the email address is located, but I'm not positive. You can also try sending a picture message, MMS, which should be able to hold more characters in one message.

If you're using a smartphone, you can search for text messaging applications on Google Play or App Store. I believe there are some other companies that will give you a local phone number.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?