1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Stop your phone from converting an mp3 to qcp

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by bdmcfarland7, Jun 28, 2011.

1. bdmcfarland7

bdmcfarland7 New Member

I have a Samsung Intensity II, and I was finally able to get mp3's to work as ringtones. With my previous phone, I would always send mp3's to my phone using email (my.number@vzwpix.com), and I could save them as ringtones and use them with no problem. With my new phone, it kept automatically converting my mp3's to qcp files, and they sounded like crap! I tried all the tricks I found online with changing the file extensions and converting the song format, but I figured out that you don't have to convert anything if you keep the mp3 under a certain size.

If you send an mp3 file that is small enough to my phone, it won't automatically convert it. I don't know what the exact cutoff is, but I'm guessing around 400 kb. I took a 128 kbps mp3 and cut it down to 25 seconds in length. It ended up being a 392 kb file. That went across as an mp3 with no problem, and there is no need to change the file extension to .mid or convert your mp3 to any other format.

I used to make my ringtone files 30 seconds long, and that was forcing them to get converted to qcp files with my new phone, but shortening them to 25 seconds made the files small enough to work for me. I suspect that this is a product of the ridiculous Verizon software and not the Samsung phone in particular. I hope this works for others as well.

› See More: Stop your phone from converting an mp3 to qcp

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?