1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to Streaming Media on the Voyager

Discussion in 'LG Voyager' started by bossdragon, Jan 20, 2008.

1. bossdragon

bossdragon Daderator

So this has been asked enough, that I thought I'd go ahead and get the links/tutorials/etc up for all.

Credit goes to brittt1 (the tutorial creator), and others that discovered this trick. The procedure was merely adapted (on the Orb side) to work with the Voyager. Also, credit goes to the sole poster who hinted at the fact that this might be possible on one of the Voyager threads.

This should also work with any other phone that can handle RTSP streams natively, so experiment away. It should also work with video streams as well, provided the computer acting as a server can handle the load of transcoding and serving video. (I have not tried this yet)

The tutorial below is aimed towards Sirius on the Voyager, but if you have XM, simply download/install uXM instead of uSirius. Both programs are made by the same author. If you don't have either, you can still listen to your favorite online/internet radio station by looking for the station's 'listen live' link, and adding it to Orb.
    In short, to accomplish streaming just about any type of Internet Radio feed to the Voyager you need:

(1) an always-on PC, connected to the Internet via DSL/Cable/FIOS or any other similar high-speed connection
    (2) install Orb on (1)
    (3) install uSirius and/or /uXM on (1) depending on what you subscribe to (optional for streaming XM/Sirius)

The basics of how this works is that Orb transcodes any Internet Radio feed and serves it in a format that can be played with your Voyager. (or PDA, etc)

The tutorial below hopefully explains the procedure in enough detail so that anyone interested can accomplish the same as I have.

Tutorial link (same document, just 2 mirrors):
    RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Enjoy guys (and girls!)

Note 1: Your mycast.orb.com page on the Voyager will only show two streams by default (of any category). You can change this by going to 'Edit Content' and adjusting accordingly by changing the number 2 to any other higher number.

Important:
    Note 2: To fix the 30 second issue both for m.youtube.com and this, call VZW CS and ask them for the temporary streaming video fix as described in this thread: HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Fix for m.youtube.com with Voyager

Note 3: I didn't bother to fix the tutorial from its original form much if at all, except the last part, but safe to say, use it as a reference, and not as a bible. (links to download software might be outdated, etc) Download the latest versions of the software for Orb and uSirius/uXM.

Edit:
    Second to last paragraph of tutorial should read:
    'For any other Internet Radio source, putting the mms/rtsp/http link of its 'listen live' page will work, and no other program besides Orb is necessary.'
    I forgot to finish writing that when I uploaded it, heh.

One last thing, if the speed at the bottom of the mycast.orb.com page reads 0kb/sec, you can set the speed manually to any of the values in the bottom if you're having trouble loading the streams. Oh, and don't even think of trying this without having VCAST VPak... you'll be very surprised when your bill comes in, if so. ;)

Also, I should point everyone to: US Radio Stations - The Stream Center - Searchable list of America's streaming radio stations.
    It's pretty self-explanatory... backdoor links to streams from different US radio stations to avoid proprietary pop-up interface players. Links are useful with Orb to stream to the Voyager or any other compatible device (PDA, etc)

They also have a PDA friendly link for those on PDAs that can actually natively stream WMA, or just a cleaner interface, IMO: The Mobile Stream Center - Listen to United States Radio Stations on your Pocket PC, Palm, Symbian-based handheld, Smartphone, PDA or other mobile device via Wi-Fi, GPRS or Bluetooth

I have listened to many local stations using this....so I hope it works for you.

ENJOY!

› See More: Streaming Media on the Voyager
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for this boss, I'll have to try it out.

3. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

What if I have have an Orb account? Can I listen to music through another persons account? And I can't seem to open that text file. I just keep getting an error message that "Unable to load graphics filter."

4. Tred009

Tred009 New Member

wow. that is a SWEEET idea. Do you have to be subscribed to xm or sirius for this to work?

5. eagleeyes

eagleeyes New Member

The URL in uSirius keeps changing every day. That means you're cut out during the day when you remote in via Orb. Has anyone noticed that?
    Thanks!

6. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

Free Streaming Radio MOOD!O

A person on a Samsung Eternity forum posted a web site called Moodio and it can play streaming radio. The site's FAQ's claim it can be run on almost any phone; so the Voyager might be able to do so as well. I no longer have my Voyager, so I can't test it. You can even add your own content. And they even have Howard Stern set up to stream.

Here Is Their Mobile Site:
    m.moodio.fm

Here Is Their Home Page:
    Welcome to Moodio! | Moodio

7. bluesgeek

bluesgeek New Member

Re: Free Streaming Radio MOOD!O

From what I can see, moodio isn't working either on the voyager or my Mac system.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?