1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Switch old AT&T number to Verizon -- how long should it take?

Discussion in 'alt.cellular.verizon' started by Bill Rubin, Jan 17, 2004.

  1. Bill Rubin

    Bill Rubin Guest

    Is there a number to call at Verizon Wireless to check the
    status of a number transfer? I signed up for Verizon service
    through their corporate deal website and was not offered an
    option there to switch my existing cell number, so I decided to
    get the phone with a new number, make sure the service was ok,
    and then do the switch. Last week, I called and spoke to a CSR
    and he took all the info and hopefully submitted it. Is there
    any way to see if the request is being processed? I had sort of
    assumed that they would immediately switch the outgoing number
    on the Verizon phone to my AT&T number, but maybe that doesn't
    make sense since my Verizon phone is functioning in both
    directions, and if they did what I wanted I probably would not
    be able to receive calls on the VZW phone (if I had done the
    switch at the beginning I would not have had a working VZW
    number to worry about).

    I need to make sure that this process gets done in the next 10
    days or so, because my AT&T billing period ends on the 28th and
    I don't feel like paying for another month. I'd sooner lose my
    AT&T number (only a few people use it, anyway) and keep the new
    VZW number than pay for another month at AT&T. I just want to
    make sure the guy I spoke to didn't somehow mess up the request
    and that it's not being processed at all.

    Bill



    › See More: Switch old AT&T number to Verizon -- how long should it take?
  2. "Bill Rubin" <billrubin@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    news:4009F632.984DDB05@prodigy.net...
    > Is there a number to call at Verizon Wireless to check the
    > status of a number transfer? I signed up for Verizon service
    > through their corporate deal website


    <snip>

    I wondered about doing this. I have two relatives that are moving to Verizon
    from AT&T, but they'll get a better deal on monthly service through a
    corporate deal, but they want to move their number from AT&T afterward.
  3. Phil Philly

    Phil Philly Guest

  4. Al Klein

    Al Klein Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 02:57:54 GMT, Bill Rubin <billrubin@prodigy.net>
    posted in alt.cellular.verizon:

    >I need to make sure that this process gets done in the next 10
    >days or so, because my AT&T billing period ends on the 28th and
    >I don't feel like paying for another month. I'd sooner lose my
    >AT&T number (only a few people use it, anyway) and keep the new
    >VZW number than pay for another month at AT&T. I just want to
    >make sure the guy I spoke to didn't somehow mess up the request
    >and that it's not being processed at all.


    If you don't care, terminate (in writing - at an AT&T store, if
    possible) your AT&T account on the 27th at the latest. Then either
    the port will have gone through or it won't. (Is another $30 or so
    really going to matter in the long run, though?)
  5. Bill Rubin

    Bill Rubin Guest

    Thanks for the link..

    > We could not locate a port status for the number you entered. Please check the number and try again.


    Not real surprising. The good news is they give a number to do
    the port for business accounts, and I'm going to call them. I'm
    convinced the idiot I dealt with last week (on the regular
    customer service line) didn't know what he was doing. He didn't
    even ask for my Verizon phone number until I reminded him that
    he needed it.

    Bill

    Phil Philly wrote:
    >
    > Try this link:
    >
    > http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/LNPControllerServlet
    >
    > It only took me 4 days to switch from T-Mobile to Verzion.
    >
    > --
    > Phil
    >
    > /// Phil Viray /// pviray@du.edu /// 303.871.7898 (office) ///
    > philviray@yahoo.com ///
    >
    > "Bill Rubin" <billrubin@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > news:4009F632.984DDB05@prodigy.net...
    > > Is there a number to call at Verizon Wireless to check the
    > > status of a number transfer?
  6. Bill Rubin

    Bill Rubin Guest

    Al Klein wrote:
    >
    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 02:57:54 GMT, Bill Rubin <billrubin@prodigy.net>
    > posted in alt.cellular.verizon:
    >
    > >I need to make sure that this process gets done in the next 10
    > >days or so, because my AT&T billing period ends on the 28th and
    > >I don't feel like paying for another month. I'd sooner lose my
    > >AT&T number (only a few people use it, anyway) and keep the new
    > >VZW number than pay for another month at AT&T. I just want to
    > >make sure the guy I spoke to didn't somehow mess up the request
    > >and that it's not being processed at all.

    >
    > If you don't care, terminate (in writing - at an AT&T store, if
    > possible) your AT&T account on the 27th at the latest. Then either
    > the port will have gone through or it won't. (Is another $30 or so
    > really going to matter in the long run, though?)


    I care in that since I was paying for the month on AT&T anyway,
    and it's a minor inconvenience for me to change the number (tell
    schools, doctors, etc. of my wife's new number), and there was
    no charge to switch, I'd do it. Plus we've gotten 3 wrong number
    calls on the new Verizon number already, which means that it's
    easily misdialed or someone had it before, so I wouldn't be real
    upset about dumping it.

    I should be able to call my AT&T corporate customer service if I
    need to cancel it (at least, I hope I can do it that way!).

    Bill
  7. Bert Dobrie

    Bert Dobrie Guest

    I made the switch from AT&T to Verizon on Dec 6th. It only took about 2
    hours. I was one of the lucky ones, and I LOVE Verizon.

    Anyway, I think your already having an account throws a bit of a wrench in
    the whole thing, especially since your phone has the "new" phone number
    programmed into it and stuff. When you initialize a port, you are handed a
    brand new phone programmed with your phone number and ready to go. You can
    make outgoing calls imediately. When the computers with the cell companies
    catch up, you get incoming calls.
    I don't know if you can do it like this...


    "Bill Rubin" <billrubin@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    news:4009F632.984DDB05@prodigy.net...
    > Is there a number to call at Verizon Wireless to check the
    > status of a number transfer? I signed up for Verizon service
    > through their corporate deal website and was not offered an
    > option there to switch my existing cell number, so I decided to
    > get the phone with a new number, make sure the service was ok,
    > and then do the switch. Last week, I called and spoke to a CSR
    > and he took all the info and hopefully submitted it. Is there
    > any way to see if the request is being processed? I had sort of
    > assumed that they would immediately switch the outgoing number
    > on the Verizon phone to my AT&T number, but maybe that doesn't
    > make sense since my Verizon phone is functioning in both
    > directions, and if they did what I wanted I probably would not
    > be able to receive calls on the VZW phone (if I had done the
    > switch at the beginning I would not have had a working VZW
    > number to worry about).
    >
    > I need to make sure that this process gets done in the next 10
    > days or so, because my AT&T billing period ends on the 28th and
    > I don't feel like paying for another month. I'd sooner lose my
    > AT&T number (only a few people use it, anyway) and keep the new
    > VZW number than pay for another month at AT&T. I just want to
    > make sure the guy I spoke to didn't somehow mess up the request
    > and that it's not being processed at all.
    >
    > Bill
  8. Bill Rubin

    Bill Rubin Guest

    I'm pretty sure it should work, it may just need a better
    customer service rep than you usually get when you call the
    regular number.

    Bill

    Bert Dobrie wrote:
    >
    > I made the switch from AT&T to Verizon on Dec 6th. It only took about 2
    > hours. I was one of the lucky ones, and I LOVE Verizon.
    >
    > Anyway, I think your already having an account throws a bit of a wrench in
    > the whole thing, especially since your phone has the "new" phone number
    > programmed into it and stuff. When you initialize a port, you are handed a
    > brand new phone programmed with your phone number and ready to go. You can
    > make outgoing calls imediately. When the computers with the cell companies
    > catch up, you get incoming calls.
    > I don't know if you can do it like this...
    >
    > "Bill Rubin" <billrubin@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    > news:4009F632.984DDB05@prodigy.net...
    > > Is there a number to call at Verizon Wireless to check the
    > > status of a number transfer? I signed up for Verizon service
    > > through their corporate deal website and was not offered an
    > > option there to switch my existing cell number, so I decided to
    > > get the phone with a new number, make sure the service was ok,
    > > and then do the switch. Last week, I called and spoke to a CSR
    > > and he took all the info and hopefully submitted it. Is there
    > > any way to see if the request is being processed? I had sort of
    > > assumed that they would immediately switch the outgoing number
    > > on the Verizon phone to my AT&T number, but maybe that doesn't
    > > make sense since my Verizon phone is functioning in both
    > > directions, and if they did what I wanted I probably would not
    > > be able to receive calls on the VZW phone (if I had done the
    > > switch at the beginning I would not have had a working VZW
    > > number to worry about).
    > >
    > > I need to make sure that this process gets done in the next 10
    > > days or so, because my AT&T billing period ends on the 28th and
    > > I don't feel like paying for another month. I'd sooner lose my
    > > AT&T number (only a few people use it, anyway) and keep the new
    > > VZW number than pay for another month at AT&T. I just want to
    > > make sure the guy I spoke to didn't somehow mess up the request
    > > and that it's not being processed at all.
    > >
    > > Bill
  9. I switched on a Monday and was told the second day that porting was
    scheduled for 3pm the following Thursday. At 3:03 pm Thursday, a text
    message alerted me that porting was complete.
    "Phil Philly" <phillyphil99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:9RBOb.82520$nt4.123862@attbi_s51...
    Try this link:

    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/LNPControllerServlet

    It only took me 4 days to switch from T-Mobile to Verzion.

    --
    Phil

    /// Phil Viray /// pviray@du.edu /// 303.871.7898 (office) ///
    philviray@yahoo.com ///

    "Bill Rubin" <billrubin@prodigy.net> wrote in message
    news:4009F632.984DDB05@prodigy.net...
    > Is there a number to call at Verizon Wireless to check the
    > status of a number transfer?
  10. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Bill Rubin <billrubin@prodigy.net> wrote:
    : Is there a number to call at Verizon Wireless to check the
    : status of a number transfer? I signed up for Verizon service
    : through their corporate deal website and was not offered an
    : option there to switch my existing cell number, so I decided to
    : get the phone with a new number, make sure the service was ok,
    : and then do the switch. Last week, I called and spoke to a CSR
    : and he took all the info and hopefully submitted it. Is there
    : any way to see if the request is being processed? I had sort of
    : assumed that they would immediately switch the outgoing number
    : on the Verizon phone to my AT&T number, but maybe that doesn't
    : make sense since my Verizon phone is functioning in both
    : directions, and if they did what I wanted I probably would not
    : be able to receive calls on the VZW phone (if I had done the
    : switch at the beginning I would not have had a working VZW
    : number to worry about).

    : I need to make sure that this process gets done in the next 10
    : days or so, because my AT&T billing period ends on the 28th and
    : I don't feel like paying for another month. I'd sooner lose my
    : AT&T number (only a few people use it, anyway) and keep the new
    : VZW number than pay for another month at AT&T. I just want to
    : make sure the guy I spoke to didn't somehow mess up the request
    : and that it's not being processed at all.

    DON'T cancel your AT&T service unless you really don't mind losing the
    number. Wait until the port is complete. Once that happens, AT&T
    will automatically cancel your service.

    I did what you did - signed up with new Verizon service with a new
    number while keeping my old AT&T number for a few days. Then I
    initiated a port request. (Difference: I'm not a corporate
    customer.) True this was only a week after LNP was initiated, but I
    found I could not wait for Verizon to complete the porting without me
    calling them every day.

    First problem was that my addresses did not match EXACTLY between AT&T
    and Verizon. Took two calls to get that clear (they didn't call me -
    I had to call them and then they said, "Oh, AT&T rejected the porting
    request because of your zip code...").

    After AT&T accepted the porting request when the addresses finally
    matched, Verizon still didn't complete my port. Took three more days
    and several more phone calls, they were confused as hell about the
    fact that I already had a Verizon number (one week old) and was
    porting my old AT&T number. Finally they did a "number change" to my
    AT&T number which they made sound like a big deal. But when I finally
    found a CSR who could do the number change, my port completed 30
    seconds later.

    So just keep calling Verizon CSR and/or the porting dept. until you
    get it resolved. None of my porting issues were caused by AT&T.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
    *******************************************************************
    ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
    ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
    *******************************************************************
  11. Bill Rubin

    Bill Rubin Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    >
    > Bill Rubin <billrubin@prodigy.net> wrote:
    > : Is there a number to call at Verizon Wireless to check the
    > : status of a number transfer? I signed up for Verizon service
    > : through their corporate deal website and was not offered an
    > : option there to switch my existing cell number, so I decided to
    > : get the phone with a new number, make sure the service was ok,
    > : and then do the switch. Last week, I called and spoke to a CSR
    > : and he took all the info and hopefully submitted it. Is there
    > : any way to see if the request is being processed? I had sort of
    > : assumed that they would immediately switch the outgoing number
    > : on the Verizon phone to my AT&T number, but maybe that doesn't
    > : make sense since my Verizon phone is functioning in both
    > : directions, and if they did what I wanted I probably would not
    > : be able to receive calls on the VZW phone (if I had done the
    > : switch at the beginning I would not have had a working VZW
    > : number to worry about).
    >
    > : I need to make sure that this process gets done in the next 10
    > : days or so, because my AT&T billing period ends on the 28th and
    > : I don't feel like paying for another month. I'd sooner lose my
    > : AT&T number (only a few people use it, anyway) and keep the new
    > : VZW number than pay for another month at AT&T. I just want to
    > : make sure the guy I spoke to didn't somehow mess up the request
    > : and that it's not being processed at all.
    >
    > DON'T cancel your AT&T service unless you really don't mind losing the
    > number. Wait until the port is complete. Once that happens, AT&T
    > will automatically cancel your service.
    >
    > I did what you did - signed up with new Verizon service with a new
    > number while keeping my old AT&T number for a few days. Then I
    > initiated a port request. (Difference: I'm not a corporate
    > customer.) True this was only a week after LNP was initiated, but I
    > found I could not wait for Verizon to complete the porting without me
    > calling them every day.
    >
    > First problem was that my addresses did not match EXACTLY between AT&T
    > and Verizon. Took two calls to get that clear (they didn't call me -
    > I had to call them and then they said, "Oh, AT&T rejected the porting
    > request because of your zip code...").
    >
    > After AT&T accepted the porting request when the addresses finally
    > matched, Verizon still didn't complete my port. Took three more days
    > and several more phone calls, they were confused as hell about the
    > fact that I already had a Verizon number (one week old) and was
    > porting my old AT&T number. Finally they did a "number change" to my
    > AT&T number which they made sound like a big deal. But when I finally
    > found a CSR who could do the number change, my port completed 30
    > seconds later.
    >
    > So just keep calling Verizon CSR and/or the porting dept. until you
    > get it resolved. None of my porting issues were caused by AT&T.


    Thanks, I know not to cancel my AT&T service. Here's an update.
    I called corporate customer service today, they could not find a
    port request (no big surprise). However, this rep then called
    the porting center to check, and found out what needed to be
    done. She faxed a letter to me which I simply had to write my
    old number, sign and date, and fax back to them, to what turned
    out to be the porting center in Tennessee (the area code was
    615, while customer service I deal with is in area code 845). I
    happened to be near a Verizon Wireless store tonight on my way
    home, so I stopped in and they faxed it for me, so hopefully the
    porting process will actually get started tomorrow.

    Bill

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.


Forgot your password?