1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Switch to prepaid?

Discussion in 'Prepaid' started by eliseb, Feb 27, 2009.

1. eliseb

eliseb New Member

I am using significantly fewer minutes than I am paying for currently and I am thinking about switching to a prepaid plan. I have a verizon family plan at $60/month for 700 minutes. I will be going to only one line when my contract expires and I need some advice on what would be best for me.

I use approximately 150 minutes per month and make/receive around 50 text messages. There are some days when I do not even use my cell phone, but I don't know that I want to pay a per day usage charge. The vast majority of my calls are from/to verizon wireless customers, but I am not committed to verizon. I'd like to upgrade to a phone with a full QWERTY keyboard for easier text messaging.

What's out there for me? What service would you recommend?

› See More: Switch to prepaid?

2. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

Verizon Wireless offers minute savers for long term customers.

Ask them if they have any other price plans available before switching to prepaid. Prepaid is actually more expensive than contract.

Verizon offers plans starting at $34.99 for new customers or current customers interested. But, they also offer a more extensive line of plans for customers who wish to save minutes (but that you have been a customer for more than a year).
    1 person likes this.
  3. RolandJ

RolandJ New Member

I use the NET10 prepaid service and am very pleased with their coverage, customer service and ease of use (for recharge). I pay 10c a minute anytime and anywhere. I usually get the $30 card which gives me 300 minutes and 60 days of service. Unlike some of the other prepaids you do not pay daily use charges with NET10, and it's the same low rate for local, long distance and roaming.
  4. frankiesoxx

frankiesoxx New Member

Porting into and back out of prepaid

I originally posted this question as a new thread, but I don’t think anybody saw it, so I’m asking it again here. I hope that by posting the same question twice I’m not in violation of forum etiquette. If so, I apologize in advance.

I am getting laid-off from my job because the company is going out of business. We all have Blackberries (mine is only six month old) with Verizon Wireless as our service provider. We are allowed to use our company cell phones for personal calls, and I don’t have a landline so, the number I have on my Blackberry Curve has been my only number for the last five years. My boss doesn’t care if we keep our Blackberries and/or phone numbers because he is going out of business anyway.

What I would love to do is go to a VZW store with my fiancée and have them add my Blackberry to her existing VZW plan and keep my phone number. However I don’t think it will be that simple. I don’t think you can “port” a number from VZW to VZW, so that won’t work. I could keep my number by porting it to a different provider like T-Mobile or Sprint, but changing carriers causes two problems. First problem is that I’d be stuck in a contract for the next two years and not on the same plan as my future wife, which means that we would be wasting money. She can’t switch carriers because she is mid-contract and all of her coworkers have VZW. Second problem is that I want to keep my Blackberry Curve, which is set up for use on VZW. Now, I’ve heard that it may be possible to unlock a Blackberry for use on any of the four major carriers, but its not worth the trouble for me to do that when I really want to stay with VZW anyway. The only idea I can come up with is to temporarily port my number to Metro PCS or a prepaid service like Page Plus or maybe Virgin Mobile (with a cheap handset) and then a month or so later port the number from the temporary location to her VZW account. Does anyone think this method of “number laundering” will work? And if so what carrier would be the best choice to “park” my number for a month? Also, will VZW activate my Curve for use on her existing plan being that it originally came from a business account that will have been terminated early?

I need to figure out how to handle this by the end of this month because my last day at work is Fri 03/27 and the company will officially shut down all operations on Mon 03/30.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  5. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

Re: Porting into and back out of prepaid

You can actually get your boss to allow you to have the contract...

He would need to sign it over and you would need to pass the credit requirements.

Porting to Metro may or may not work. This is because Metro PCS uses Verizon's phone numbers, generally. Some exceptions exist but Metro basically rents the numbers from Verizon. This means you would be porting metro to metro...then when you port back you are still porting a Verizon number to Verizon.

6. frankiesoxx

frankiesoxx New Member

Re: Porting into and back out of prepaid

A little more information:

I talked to my boss, Steve, today about our Verizon contract. Steve told me that pretty much everybody else’s phone besides mine is about two years old, and that our contract with Verizon was up in December of 2008. So I guess that means that we are month-to-month now. The Blackberry Curve 8330 that I have was originally purchased new for the VP back in July, but she left the company shortly thereafter. My old phone was destroyed at work because somebody spilled coffee on it (the person didn’t tell me and it wasn’t cleaned it up right away). So Steve gave me the former VP’s Curve 8330 as replacement and he had Verizon swap the numbers around.

As far as Steve allowing me to have the contract, he seems to think that we won’t be able to do that. We have a competitor who, while they are not buying the entire company, they are buying some of our assets (some inventory, customer lists etc) and at least four, possibly five of my coworkers are going to work for them. The competitor is also a customer of Verizon and they intend to add the phones (and phone numbers) of the migrating employees to their Verizon contract. You may say that we’re wrong, but Steve and I are afraid that once those other phones go on the competitor’s Verizon account, my number will disappear forever. Also, I probably would not pass the Verizon credit check for a contract in my own name because my ex-girlfriend ruined my credit. Her antics included not paying the bill on her Cingular/AT&T phone (which was in my name) and then letting the contract lapse early. However the big whopper was that she let her car get repossessed and I was the co-signer on the loan. It appears to me that using the Verizon contract that my fiancée/wife currently has is the only way that this will work out for me.

Do you think Verizon will allow us to move my Blackberry and the phone number directly from Steve’s business account to my wife’s account? And do you think we can do that without screwing up my coworkers’ phones as they move to their new employer?

From my vantage point it looks like the safest way to handle this is to buy a cheap pre-paid phone, so that I can temporarily port my number away from Verizon. Walmart has a Virgin Mobile phone for $15, and Virgin uses the Sprint network, so that means if I port to them, I will legitimately be changing carriers so the port should go through. After waiting a few weeks for my coworkers to start their new jobs, I’ll move my number and Blackberry to my wife’s Verizon account. Unless you tell me that this won’t work, I think this is what I’m going to do.

Thank You,

Frank

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?