1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

The LG Versa Could Have Been Better Had They Used The 9800 Tiny Laptop Design

Discussion in 'LG' started by the2ndflood, Mar 11, 2009.

1. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

So I played with the LG Versa on my way home from a doctors appointment. I didn't get to use it for long, but what I saw didn't really impress me. The price alone is crazy! The in-store staff told me that I could get a $50 discount if I re-signed for another 2 years, but even then the phone would still cost more then $400. That is more then I paid for my Dell Mini. More then a fully-packed PDA with Wifi access.
    But all that aside; I didn't read through any of the reviews on the Versa before-hand because I wanted to play with it first. What I "Thought" the LG Versa was going to be, turned out to be very different then what it "Actually" is. It's basically a touch-screen phone; more of a Slightly updated LG Dare, with a cheap detachable keyboard. I thought it would be more like the LG Voyager; with a Solid Keyboard and Solid Phone-Base; that could be separated from each other. I also thought the keyboard would have it's own speaker for the phone and for media, but Nope. The browser is better then what the Voyager has, but only because it can play "Some" Flash content; which Basic Flash access is still nice, but not great. Rumors also stated the Versa would come with a detachable WiFi Hub, which it doesn't (Or At Least I Didn't See One). I didn't get to see any VCast videos because EV-DO comes and goes over near the new hospital, but I already know it will be annoying trying to use just touch-screen-controls to navigate the content. The look of the phone itself is nice, but man is that keyboard ugly! It has that weird bumpy look and feel like those 80's Binoculars had. Remember, the Giant Binoculars that always had that smell of hard plastic and pleather; even after that had been used a billion times.

Like I said before, I only used the phone for a few minutes, so I don't have a complete understanding of the device. But is anyone else disappointed? I honestly thought the Versa would be able to beat any other phone that Verizon sells, but even with Firmware updates the phone will still have a bunch of Problems/Limitations. And Firmware can't fix the chassis design flaws. Throw in the fact that the LG Voyager has been out for almost 2 years now and cost basically what it did back when it first came out (Current Customer Price). So $450+ is a price-tag Verizon is going to hold onto for a long time to come.

It just annoys me to no end! Verizon knows we don't have any other options and that we rely on the phones they choose to offer us. So why can't we get something truly new and nice? LG could have made the Versa 1,000,000 times better then this, and Verizon could have just stepped aside and let them.

› See More: The LG Versa Could Have Been Better Had They Used The 9800 Tiny Laptop Design
  2. mnmnk00

mnmnk00 New Member

I played with it at the store also, and thought that it was not that great. The addition of the keyboard makes it like a calculater or something to carry around. Fake leather case or whatever that was, and it just didnt seem to make that much of a difference in texting to me. I have the dare and am very pleased with it, would not want to trade it in for the versa. I detached the phone from the keyboard and the back had it guts showing, kinda wierd, but that how it works. I was easy to detach and re atach though. Just not what I expected it to be. The browsing around on the phone was not anymore impressive than on the Dare or Voyager, other than the flip through home pages, that was really the only cool thing I found. A few other differences here and there, but nothing to make me want to run out and get one. The price tag I saw in the VW store was 259. I can get it online for 199 with a new contract, but not happinin.

3. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

4. mnmnk00

mnmnk00 New Member

5. savcozzi

savcozzi New Member

I agree wasn't a big fan of this phone, still got to wait for a worthy upgrade to my env.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?