1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Unlimited Navigation for Verizon LG Phones, step by step

Discussion in 'LG' started by Trbomp5, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Trbomp5

Trbomp5 New Member

DO THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK. Cell Phone Forums is not responsible for damage to your phone. CPF can also not be held responsible for extra charges incurred on your phone bill.
    -admin

*My disclaimer*
    When I wrote this and up untill last weekend, I had the Americas choice plan, so I was not charged data. Most, if not all of you, will have the Nationwide plan, which does charge data. I think you should pay attention to your first full bill, and if your data charges are more than the $10 monthly Nav fee, then just get the Vpak for $15. That way you will not be charged for the data used with the Nav, but you will also get unlimted data to be used with email, IM, internet, etc. A whole lot more for only $5 over the Nav fee.

The Lg Venus and Voyager file names are in Blue.
    The Lg Dare is in Red. eNv's are in green. eNv 2's are in brown.

*THIS IS A MUST DO!*
    -Connect phone to Bitpim
    -Turn on filesystem
    -Right click on brew, and select "backup entire tree"
    -I named it "brew original.zip"
    -Now you have an original backup to compare other programs to, and to be able to restore your phone back to original if you ever need to.

1. Download $9.99 monthly fee version
    2. Open VZNav, and let it do all updates
    3. Connect phone to computer with USB or bluetooth
    4. Open up bitpim, and wait till it connects with phone and says ready at the bottom of screen.
    5. Turn on view file system under the view tab if you do not have it already on.
    6. Click on file system on left side of screen
    7. Right click on brew folder on right side of screen and select back up entire tree (I named this backup "brew with nav.zip")
    8. When its all done with that, unplug and restart phone.
    9. Go to get it now, or media center depending on your phone, and cancel VZ navigator.
    10. Restart phone and double check to see that it is gone for sure.
    11. Reconnect phone to computer and restart bitpim

12. Now in another window open up the folder where you saved the brew zip and extract it.
    13. Go to the brew folder in the back up window, then click on folder “MIF” and you should see 2 files named 24248.mif and 271043.mif 269350.mif and 271974.mif 24248.mif and 32079.mif 269350.mif & 269279.mif

14. Go back to bitpim and open up the brew folder and then click on MIF. click on the file named 24248.mif 269350.mif 24248.mif 269350.mif in your back up and drag and drop it into the right side of bitpim. Then click and drag the other folder into bitpim as well. 271043.mif 271974.mif 32079.mif 269279.mif

15. Next right click on the MOD folder and select “make subdirectory”
    16. Give it the name 24248 269350 24248 269350
    17. Click on that new folder so that its open in the right side of bitpim.
    18. Add all files from your back up from the same named folder by highlighting them all, then click and drag to the right side of bitpim

19. Now right click on MOD again and select “make subdirectory”
    20. Give it the name 271043 271974 32079 269279
    21. Click on that new folder so that its open in the right side of bitpim.
    22. Add all files from your back up from the same named folder by highlighting them all, then click and drag to the right side of bitpim

23. After the files are written to the phone, unplug and restart phone. Navigator will be there again and it will be unlimited.

You SHOULD be able do these same steps to make any app unlimited. Just download whatever app you are wanting to "hack" and make a backup of phone again. Now open up new backup and your original backup in two different windows side by side and compare and write down every file and folder in the mif and mod that are in your new one and not the original. Those are the files and folders you need to put back after you cancel the app on your phone.

› See More: Unlimited Navigation for Verizon LG Phones, step by step
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
    9 people like this.
  2. Trbomp5

Trbomp5 New Member

Re: Unlimited Navigation How-To, step by step

This is from another forum not sure where i found it. I just rewrote it including every step it took, with more detail to make it easier. So far i did it on my voyager, 2 env's and a venus!
    1 person likes this.
  3. Rusty86

Rusty86 New Member

I was wondering if i follow your steps, will it charge me for using vcast? or would it require that i'm signed up for vcast? thank you for the cool post though :)
  4. Trbomp5

Trbomp5 New Member

You do not get charged a fee for using vcast. You get charged for the apps or subscriptions that you download.
    You will get charged a pro-rated fee for the 20 minutes or so you actually have the nav app on your phone. Whats that gonna be? a dollar? O well for free nav, its worth it!
  5. streetr8cer13

streetr8cer13 New Member

alright i got a question...

i did this hack but a slightly different way as i did not see this post when i did it and read another one

1.backed up entire brew tree just incase
    2. subscribed to the app
    3. backed up entire brew tree again (with the subscribed app)
    4. canceled the subscription
    5. restored the backup to the phone with the subscribed app

while this did seem to work as the app functions fine and reads unlimited i noticed 2 things: 1. while backing up the brew directory it said 300+ files but while writing it back it only said 89? and 2. my check account function on my phone deosnt seem to work

is this bad should i restore my old backup and try it this way?
  6. Trbomp5

Trbomp5 New Member

i would say yes. I read several write ups b4 i put this one together and this method works. I know it. Just did it again 2day to my bosses wives venus.
  7. streetr8cer13

streetr8cer13 New Member

my check account is working again but i will re do it anyway just cause the number of files discrepency still bothers me
  8. jalaw

jalaw New Member

so has anyone else had luck with this??? i will maybe try it soon if i get good feedback from others. i would hate to screw something up just because im cheap.
  9. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

Does this process backup every single file on the phone and Memory Card (Images, ringtones, ect). Or just the things in the BREW folder?

I did all of that, but I see an X next to the Navigator. When I click on the application, I am told it was disabled to save space and would I like to restore it. So I restore it, the screen goes white, then nothing else happens. The programs never opens. And when you say add any and all files, do you mean any and all files in the MIF folder? Because you made it seem like we should add all of the files from the entire BREW backup. I have never done this before, so this is all new to me. What files need to be added to what folders?
    Help please? Just some more detailed instructions. For the newbies like me. And if this can be done to any BREW application, how will we know what files to play around with? Won't each app be different? Or is there a trick for all? Because I would also like to get the POP email client app for free, seeing as other carriers offer theirs for free. But since Verizon wants to bleed customers of ever little penny, we are forced to pay extra for it.

I just got off the phone with Verizon CC, they don't prorate your service. If you download, then cancel it 5 minutes later, you still owe the $9.99! How can I tell if I am going to get charged? Is there an option on the app that lists if it is free or hack or what? I'm asking this because after the first part didn't work, I then just did the Bitpim BREW restore and in reinstalled the GPS service. It is not listed as Unlimited, and I can use it, but I have no way of knowing if it is truing free or just the same paid version as before.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  10. XdenimheadX

XdenimheadX New Member

can you make backup files of the internet browser and mobile TV applications as well? will you have to repeat this process after a firmware update that effects either application?
  11. setzer557

setzer557 New Member

There was no 271043 folder in the brew backup..there was a 24248 though.
  12. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

There is both folders and files with those names.
  13. setzer557

setzer557 New Member

In my brew backup, there was not. Did I need to update the nav before removing it?
  14. Trbomp5

Trbomp5 New Member

i would then you will have the latest version when you put it back.
  15. setzer557

setzer557 New Member

Ok. Then I'm guessing that's why it didn't work? If I'm going to get charged the 9.99 for that attempt, I might as well try again?
  16. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

I called Verizon again asking about something else, but I brought up the pro-rate question. This woman said the customer would only get charged for the service they used. So if they downloaded the $9.99 a month, and used 20 minutes of it, then they would pay for 20 mins of use. But other reps have said you get charged the full amount no matter what. I have no idea.
  17. Trbomp5

Trbomp5 New Member

I look it as even if they do charge me 9.99 for using it for 20 minutes so that i can then hack it and have it for free forever, O well!

It is a really good nav program, i honestly think its better than a tom tom i used. So its definatly worth the 10 bucks.
  18. setzer557

setzer557 New Member

It looks like on my bill that I haven't been charged for the download yet. Would it have updated by now if I was going to be charged?
  19. Trbomp5

Trbomp5 New Member

I just downloaded the email app to hack on my new dare. I was also on the vzw website right after that. Its on there that i downloaded it. That was like 20 min later.

I also went back and looked at my older bill to see if i was charged for downloading the nav app and was never charged for it. They prob have a minimum time before they charge you, in case it was an accident or someone messing with your phone.

I only had it on there like 10 minutes.
  20. spio123

spio123 Banned

I got the "GPS INITIALIZATION FAILED. APPLICATION UPDATE REQUIRED." error. Ive tried to update it but there is no updates available. You get this error when you dont go through the update 100% and you cancel out while its updating and then back up your brew tree. Anyone know a way to fix this?

Dallas Apartments
    safari holidays
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?