1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

unlocked g1 on verizon network

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by zigro, Jan 4, 2009.

1. zigro

zigro New Member

I want to get an unlocked g1 and use it on verizon. Is it possible to do this? If so, how? I need it to work in colorado and wyoming, is there a better network that some would suggest for that area? Thanks.

› See More: unlocked g1 on verizon network
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

Re: unlocked g1

Nope - it wouldn't work without verizon programming on the phone, which does not exist. Not to mention, GSM on CDMA network is not possible.

3. amj1627

amj1627 New Member

I have a G1 that I got right from the Tmobile store and they are sending me the unlock key. but I have service with Alltel, but I am doing steps to get to Alltel but first i am going to get it working on Verizon. I called Verizon and asked about the "BlackBerry® Storm™ 9530" What is GSM and its Verizon. they told me that if the phone broke or anything that if I take the SIM out and stick it in another phone there is no calling and giving them a new ESN for the phone. I got a Verizon SIM off of eBay and I am going get it activated on prepay through Verizon. And if that works fine then the steps of manually entering the information into the phone should work for Alltel. Because the Storm works on Alltel.

If all of this don't work I will just sell my G1 and wait for a Android on Alltel (what might be a while)

4. charlyee

charlyee New Member

I am quite confused by your post. There are two major inaccuracies amongst other minor ones.

1) The G1 will NOT work on Verizon as tavenger already mentioned. The G1 is a GSM phone and Verizon is CDMA. Yes the Storm has both GSM and CDMA but there is no way to use the GSM part of it other than to get a SIM from a GSM provider. the Storm uses the CDMA portion only when it works on Verizon or Alltel.

2) There is no such thing as a Verizon SIM, CDMA devices do not operate with SIM cards.

Your best bet is to not spend anymore time or money on it and sell the G1.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

1 person likes this.
  5. amj1627

amj1627 New Member

It has the hardware to do it Verizon DOES have SIM cards. Just like I was told that my Wrt54g couldn't send signal to my Walmart 2.4Ghz phone. And that still works today. If it can do it I will find out.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  6. charlyee

charlyee New Member

Just because it has the hardware to do it, doesn't mean that the provider supports it. The Storm is a business phone, intended for the CDMA portion to be used in the US and the GSM part for Global 3G roaming with local or international SIM. Again, there is no way for a GSM phone or the GSM part of a a phone to be used on Verizon. There is also no Verizon SIM.

How about you post information on the Verizon SIM that you got from E-Bay, just the E-Bay link will suffice since obviously the seller is trying dupe unsuspecting buyers. Please trust me, tavenger, myself, and many others on this forum do know what we are talking about.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  7. misterSelf

misterSelf New Member

Let me try to clear up some confusion here. SIM cards have nothing to do with the technology the carrier uses. It has more to do with the carrier's choices. CDMA carriers, for example, can use R-UIM cards (basically SIM cards), but the CDMA providers here have chosen not to support this feature. Thus, save for their dual network (world) phones, most CDMA phones do not use SIM cards. As to the Storm, specifically, it is a dual network device. It has the hardware for both GSM and CDMA. It can use SIM cards and it can be use here. I know AT&T and T-Mobile customers that use it. How? Simple: they unlock the device. Unlike most other dual network devices that VZW carries, the Storm is a quad-band GSM device and therefore can be used on any GSM carrier worldwide. It just has to be unlocked.

As to a VZW SIM card, they do have them, but they are strictly for international roaming and are locked to Vodafone's network. VZW's non-dual network phones do not use/support SIM cards. They don't even have a SIM slot, so there's no place to put a SIM. Given these two facts, bringing a G1 to VZW or Alltel is futile. Neither carrier has SIM cards for domestic use. And with a GSM phone, the SIM determines the network on which the phone will work. With no VZW SIM (for domestic use) a G1 + VZW = pointless.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  8. amj1627

amj1627 New Member

So far I have been able to send and recive calls with my G1 on alltel. and i am working on texting and then data last. (no SIM required)

9. charlyee

charlyee New Member

It is not possible to use a GSM phone without a SIM card(except 911 calls) and it also not possible to use a GSM phone like the G1 on a CDMA network.A GSM phone can roam on Alltel's GSM network that is used only for roaming by AT&T, T-Mobile & other GSM providers.

Please do not propagate incorrect information and mislead the readers.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tony E!

Tony E! \/\/ireless/\dvisor

I concur.....

Charlyee, after reading some of the misleading info that's been posted here, i feel like i just woke up from a coma and that suddenly things in the wireless world has change, hey it might happen, Verizon will finally go Global System for Mobile Communications, imagine that.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  11. amj1627

amj1627 New Member

With a GSM phone and the original programing I haven't been able to call 911 without a SIM, the SIM tells the phone to lock to what tower and verifies your account and phone number. I have no SIM on my G1 I took a different road to making it work on Alltel telling the phone it has a certain ESN what is not hard molded into the chipset and rerouting So it don't try and use a SIM.

And for Your Information I am running on Alltel band:850/1900 Channel:242 With my G1

If you don't believe its possible. You can go do something else with your life. And I don't think your the one with a Electrical Engineering Degree. so leave it to the Profesionals.

12. charlyee

charlyee New Member

No, I do not believe it is possible.

As a matter of fact I do have an Electrical Engineering degree, a Masters in fact; and your professional credentials are? :rolleyes:

Palm850/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)

13. linkz2188

linkz2188 New Member

No, it is definitely not possible.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?