1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

How-to Update LG Voyager (vx10000) to latest firmware - V12

Discussion in 'LG Voyager' started by jdeg, Aug 30, 2009.

1. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

The following is how to update your LG Voyager to the latest firmware without bringing the phone into Verizon.

WARNING: If you do not have experience with updating phone software, do not perform this task as you could void the warranty on your phone and render it useless.

› See More: Update LG Voyager (vx10000) to latest firmware - V12
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Hi John,

Where can we find a list of the changes made since v11? Knowing what bugs were fixed and which features were added will enable us to evaluate if the update is worth the effort.

I had a great deal of trouble finding a download for LGNPST that really worked. I finally found version 1.1 here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/123504246/e1771b08/LGNPST_LABv11.html?s=1

Afterward, I discovered that a version 1.2 is available and I managed to locate it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/260752931/LGNPSTv1.2withUSBDrivers.zip

In both cases, you have to wait for the countdown delay imposed on free users before you can download the files (a cheesy attempt to get impatient users to pay for their service). I've downloaded both versions but haven't tested them yet.

Finally, in your "how to" thread, you say to click on "Upgrade" and then "Next to BIN file load the updated bin file". I don't understand the second part. Do we click on the little folder icon to the right of the "BIN File" in order to select it so it can be loaded? Which BIN file do we select (ERI_binary_00004_with-cc_2005-03-29.bin or VX10KV12_01.bin)?

Thanks.

Best regards, WiredNot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: Here is what I've learned since my last post regarding the changes in v12:
    • fix for bluetooth headphones
    • fix for VZ Navigator
    • fix for Visual Voice Mail
    • improved battery life
    • improvement for "touch to unlock"
    • fix for touch screen to prevent it from sometimes not responding
    That's all I know at this point---I'd like to learn more about the "fixes" and "improvements". According to one person who installed the update, the response of the touch screen was NOT improved. So don't expect the touch screen bug fix to make a difference with regard to its overall operation. Evidently the "fix" had something to do with the touch screen sometimes not responding.

The most revelant improvement seems to be the improved battery life. But I use one of the big 3000 mAh batteries so this isn't an issue to me. I'm not sure whether the new firmware offers enough to make it worth the upgrade---firmware v11 has worked pretty good so far. What would make it worthwile would be improvements to the calendar and some new themes to change the look of the displays.

Best regards, WiredNot

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  3. jdeg

I couldn't find a list of changes anywhere to be honest

1.2 seems to work good - it is the store level, but that doesn't seem to matter. I believe the lab level has a couple more testing features
    I made the instructions more specific - take a look - but yes, it's that little folder. It should be VX10KV12_01.bin.

4. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Thanks. :)

5. Voyager45

Voyager45 New Member

Hello, I have many attempts to view this page only to say that it is done and the only thing that comes up is the blank wallpaper but no words. Do you have a downloadable version of this page so I can see what it says? Thanks.

6. jdeg

um, can you be more specific - what are you clicking on?

7. foolio64

foolio64 New Member

Hey, sorry for my being a noob but this is my first time trying to update my firmware at home.

I've installed the LGNPST software, and I've downloaded the .Rar that contains the firmware and .dll, but the LGNPST software doesn't seem to recognize the model of the phone (it just says UNKNOWN, though all the information on the right is correct).

Is the issue that I haven't properly installed the .DLL? (the Select DLL menu doesn't show anything listed either).

I've installed the most recent LG USB driver (Ver 4.9.4), so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm sure I'm probably just overlooking something incredible simple; do you have any idea where I went wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  8. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Update: According to Verizon, the new version 12 firmware also includes many "fixes" for the Voyager's web browser. It should no longer reboot when you visit certain wbsites. You should be able to properly enter a full string into the search box of google.com. Checkboxes that are checked on a webpage should now appear checked. Et cetera. It sounds like the bug fixes for the browser are fairly extensive.

Another fix involves the Voyager's alarm. I think it may get a.m. and p.m. confused in certain circumstances---I'm not sure of the details.

It sounds like the update may be worth the trouble after all.

Best regards, WiredNot

1 person likes this.
  9. jdeg

It looks like you haven't loaded the .dill or .bin file yet - try that. Did you run LGNPST_GenericModels_Ver_xxx.msi and LGNPST_Components_Ver_xxx.msi ?

1 person likes this.
  10. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Hi John,

I'm having the same trouble as foolio64 and am unable to proceed. He are the steps I've taken:

1 - I downloaded and installed LGNPST_LABv.msi. It seemed to install fine.

2 - I downloaded LGVX10000S_VX10KV12_.zip from the link in your orignal post. The unizipped file contains no msi files of its own. Here is what LGVX10000S_VX10KV12_.zip contains:

. . LGVX 10000S_VX10KV12_ folder containing:
    . . . . LGVX 10000S folder containing:
    . . . . . . Brew_script folder (with subfolders and files)
    . . . . . . EFS_SCR folder (with subfolders and flies)
    . . . . . . 58002-EVDO_OEM_default.prl
    . . . . . . ERI_binary_00004_with-crc_2005-03-29.bin
    . . . . . . VX10KS.dll
    . . . . . . VX10KV12_00*****
    . . . . . . VX10KV12_01.bin

3 - Launched LGNPST and connected my Voyager. It found my phone and displayed lots of information like its firmware version, ESN/MEID code, my telephone number, etc. But it did not find a dll for my phone and so the Model Name was listed as "UNKNOWN" and the DLL section at the top of the Phone Info panel was blank.

4 - I tried using File > Select DLL but it was useless because it offered no way to browse for the needed dll. All it did was open an empty list of dlls. I assume this is because it couldn't find any wherever it was looking.

5 - I tried copying the VX10KS.dll into the same folder as LGNPST and it didn't help. I tried copying folder LGVX10000S and its contents to the LGNPST folder and that didn't help either.

I'm stumped. We need better insructions or corrected downloads. It would be nice if this could be gathered together in one location so readers don't have to search all over the web for this stuff and the information to use it.

Best regards, WiredNot

11. jdeg

Is there a folder called "VX10000" under C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model ?

Edit: I think I'm missing the step that should say "copy downloaded folder to C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST\model"

12. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Thanks for the swift reply.

No. In fact, there isn't even a folder named "Model". Here's what there is:

. . LG Electronics folder containing:
    . . . . LGNPST folder containing:
    . . . . . . components 1.0 folder containing a bunch of dll's
    . . . . . . Help folder
    . . . . . . image folder containing a bunch of bmp's
    . . . . . . ESN-MDN.xls
    . . . . . . HardLock.dll
    . . . . . . Hldinst.exe
    . . . . . . instMLockDrv.exe
    . . . . . . LGNPST.exe
    . . . . . . LGTreeView.ocx
    . . . . . . license.rtf
    . . . . . . license.txt
    . . . . . . MegalockParallel.dll
    . . . . . . MegalockUsb.dll
    . . . . . . PhoneBook.csv
    . . . . . . PhoneSetting.ocx
    . . . . . . Skin_Default.dll

No "Model" folder. Should I add one and then copy the LGVX 10000S folder into it?

Best regards, WiredNot

13. jdeg

yes - add the folder

14. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Hi John,

Still a "no go". Creating the "model" folder and copying the LGVX 10000S folder into it made no difference---it still could not find any dll files and File > Select DLL still produced an empty list.

Do you have to have the Lab-level version? I just noticed that mine is the Store-level version which contradicts the title of the rar file that I downloaded (the file name is "LGNPST_LABv1.1.rar").

If the Lab-level version is required, then I'm back to the beginning trying to find a copy to download. Aaaarg!!!!! :flamemad:

Regards, WiredNot

15. jdeg

Shouldn't matter if it's lab or store - store is just missing a couple other functions that we don't use for updating.

What happens if you select the unknown model and ten try and do file > select dll?

16. foolio64

foolio64 New Member

My problem continues to appear identical to WiredNots, so I can tell you that in my personal experience if I do File > Select dll there is no dll listed, it's just the blank menu and like WiredNot said, there's no way to manually tell it to browse for a DLL.

Also, in your response to your earlier post I haven't installed LGNPST_GenericModels_Ver_xxx.msi or LGNPST_Components_Ver_xxx.msi because I don't think I have those files; there are no .MSI files in the .Rar like WiredNot said.

17. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Hi John,

I'm on the verge of giving up on this---it has been a huge waste of time so far.

As for your suggestion: My Voyager is the only phone connected to my PC when I run LGNPST so naturally it is already "selected". In fact there is no way to deselect it. When I run the "Select DLL" command in the File menu, an empty "Select DLL" dialog appears. Since it is empty, there is nothing to select. It has an Ok and a Cancel button at the bottom and that's all.

I found another place to download LGNPST. It was in separate pieces. First, you download the Store-level version (it was identical to the installer that I had previously used). There was a second tiny download that was the "Lab installer". You run it after installing the Store-level version. Presumably it converts the Store-level to the Lab-level.

I removed my original installation of LGNPST and gave it a try. Sure enough, after both steps, I appear to have Lab Level PST LGNPST v1.1. But there was still no "model" folder and still no dll's appearing.

So I found a download for a LGNPST dll for a LG Dare (VX9700) phone and I installed it to see what it was supposed to look like. The installer was an msi file like you originally said was needed to install the dll. It worked great. Now when I run LGNPST and select File > Select DLL the dialog that appears shows the "LGNPST_VX9700.dll" in the list and its path lists the missing "model" folder.

So I launched the Windows Explorer and looked at what was there and here's what I found:

. . LG Electronics folder containing the stuff listed in my previous post plus:
    . . . . model folder containing:
    . . . . . . VX9700 folder containing:
    . . . . . . . . VX9700 folder containing:
    . . . . . . . . . . Files_For_Upgrade folder containing:
    . . . . . . . . . . . . brew folder with more nested folders
    . . . . . . . . . . . . browser folder with more nested folders
    . . . . . . . . . . LGNPST_GenericModel_Ver_1_0_2_0.dll
    . . . . . . . . . . LGNPST_VX9700.dll
    . . . . . . . . . . Setting.XML

The folders and files in your download don't match this. Again I tried copying the Voyager fimware v12 folder (LGVX 10000S) under the "model" folder in various ways trying to match the VX9700 but it never worked. All LGNPST ever saw was the VX9700 dll.

I think your download for the v12 firmware update is bad. Or, at the very least, it is not for LGNPST. It appears that we need an msi installer containing the VX10000v12 firmware update that is made for LGNPST before we can install it ourselves. I've searched and cannot find one. :flamemad:

Regards, WiredNot

P.S. Have you actually installed the Voyager v12 firmware, yourself? If not, and you are unable to do so, then I respectfully recommend that this thread be deleted. In its place, you can create a new thread which notifies readers that v12 of the Voyager firmware is availble and they should go to their Verizon store for it.

18. jdeg

Guys - sorry for all the confusion - I installed v11 on my old phone in that tutorial - it looks like the ones for v12 are slightly different. I will look at this more closely.

Okay - I believe this is the dll installer that you need: http://files.cellphoneforums.net/firmware/LGNPST_VX10000_DLL_Ver_0_1_66_0_DLL.zip

Run this and replace the corresponding files in files_for_upgrade (under the model folder) with the ones that were originally downloaded. Rename the .dll that the extractor makes to LGNPST_10000.dll, and replace the one in the VX10000 folder.

I believe the only thing the original zip was missing was the settings.xml file.

2 people like this.
  19. WiredNot

WiredNot New Member

Or, you could do what I just did: Go to your local Verizon store and let them upgrade your firmware for you. It was VERY EASY!!! They used LGNPST Store-level v1.22 and the process took only 5-6 minutes per phone (I updated both my and my wife's Voyager Titaniums).

Our phones had firmware v11 and the upgrade may take a little longer if you have an older version.

Best of all: Nothing was lost!!! All of our calendar entries, contacts, notes, music, playlists, etc., were intact. The only thing that had to be re-entered was our passwords (the passwords default to the last four digits of your telephone number after the flash). Again, if you have an older firmware version, then I don't know if your existing data will be preserved. Of course, anything on a microSD memory card should be safe.

My advice: Don't waste time fooling with this yourself like I did. It is way more easy to let the Verizon folks do it. Besides, why should you assume the risk when Verizon is willing to. If your computer or your phone hiccups during the update, your phone is ruined and you'll have to buy a new phone---if you attempted to do it yourself. But if Verizon does it for you and they ruin your phone, they will replace it.

Best regards, WiredNot

20. jdeg

good advice! haha Unfortunately some people don't have the option of going to a verizon store that can do the update, or they can't get it done in the time you had it done in.

I'm going to continue to look into this to make sure all the files that are needed are there.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?