1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Use Droid Incredible without data plan or get a dumb phone?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by timjet, Jul 27, 2012.

1. timjet

timjet New Member

I have been a long time android incredible phone user on Verizon's network. I don't want to pay the data plan fee anymore so it appears I must get a dumb phone.
    One thing I will really miss is the ability to have google calendar on my phone. Does verizon offer a dump phone (phone without data plan) that will display a google calendar. If a dumb phone has wifi, I should be able to do this. So does any Verizon dumb phone have wifi?

Thanks,
    Tim

› See More: Use Droid Incredible without data plan or get a dumb phone?
  2. avenue

avenue Super Moderator

Best Answer
    If Verizon's prepaid plan won't work, you can try Page Plus Cellular. You can use many Verizon Wireless phones on Page Plus Cellular, and the cost is $55 per month for unlimited talk, text, and 2 GB of data. That might be a good option.
  3. avenue

avenue Super Moderator

I'm not aware of a phone that isn't a smartphone that will allow you to sync with Google Calender. You can try switching to their prepaid Android plan which is more reasonable. You can also see if the $50/month unlimited talk and text plan is compatible with your phone. You can then use WiFi for the data features.
  4. timjet

timjet New Member

Thanks avenue, I had not considered Verizon's pre-paid plans. I'll look into that.
    I can keep my Adroid Incredible phone and sync my calendar and contacts via wifi, but of course the phone won't work. In that case I'll just have to carry 2 devices, the android incredible and the dumb phone.
  5. avenue

avenue Super Moderator

Best Answer
    If Verizon's prepaid plan won't work, you can try Page Plus Cellular. You can use many Verizon Wireless phones on Page Plus Cellular, and the cost is $55 per month for unlimited talk, text, and 2 GB of data. That might be a good option.
  6. timjet

timjet New Member

I talked to Verizon and they don't allow any smart phones including my droid incredible on their pre-paid plans.
    I probably won't switch carriers because I travel a lot and Verizon's coverage is better than most.

I just reactivated a 5 year old motorola phone than still works good as a phone. I'll carry my incredible and get e-mail and updated calendar info via wifi.
  7. avenue

avenue Super Moderator

You should be able to use your Android phone on Verizon Wireless' $80/month prepaid plan. If not, you can purchase the Samsung Illusion to use on that plan.

Page Plus Cellular uses Verizon Wireless' network, but with an additional charge for roaming. The coverage is great nationwide and there are only some rural areas where you might be roaming. You might want to look into it. Many people are impressed because the coverage is the same just at a lower cost.
  8. grsshoper

grsshoper New Member

that sucks :(

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?