1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

using and old LG flip phone with Verizon

Discussion in 'LG' started by timbo59, Aug 26, 2012.

1. timbo59

timbo59 New Member

We're currently considering our options with upgrading to smart phones with Verizion, but one thing we're also trying to figure out is what to do with our old LG flip phones (VX 8360) as far as our two young kids are concerned. We thought about keeping both on the plan so that we can hand out the phones at need for school excursions, to keep in their school backpacks for emergency use, or to simply call us at need, but because we're looking to switch over to a data plan because of the smart phones Verizon wants to charges us $30 per month (per phone!) to keep the old LG's on the network, even though they're obviously not smart phones capable of data transfer.

That seems extremely excessive to us, especially for two phones we wanted to keep around simply for standby purposes, so is there some way we can put these phones to the appropriate use without such an expensive monthly charge? I don't know if they can be unlocked and have pre-paid SIM cards installed, or whether we can hook them up to someone where we can simply prepay for X amount of minutes on a network.

Any thoughts on an appropriate solution would be much appreciated.

Thanks

› See More: using and old LG flip phone with Verizon
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

actually, those phones can handle data, but I agree, they shouldn't be charging you the fee for basic flip phones.

Unfortunately they can't be unlocked since they're CDMA Verizon specific.

I would get a couple pre-paid phones and call it a day. They're cheaper, and you only pay for minutes when they are used.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?