1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

V710 back in stock on Verizon website....buy this or E815???

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by airborne_zim, Oct 24, 2005.

1. airborne_zim

airborne_zim New Member

Hi,

:confused: I posted this question over at Howard Forums and now I want to ask the experts here:

Is the V710 a good phone, and is it new?? Verizon CS didn't give me an answer.

I'm worried about not having access to AMPS when I venture into rural Wisconsin. I recently stopped by the Verizon kiosk at the local mall and picked up the E815 mostly because of bluetooth headset and voice command.

Now I see that I could have a tri-mode phone (V710) with bluetooth!!

Should I switch??? or quit agonizing over tri-mode? The world's going digital anyway, right?

I'm just worried about the V710 being obsolete and troublesome etc. I've read many bad reviews about it on the net.

Thanks for your help :)

Zim

› See More: V710 back in stock on Verizon website....buy this or E815???
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing New Member

the 710's bad reviews are usually on the older phones...

hubby has the 710 and I have the 815... software updates have made the 2 very similar although voice dialing on the 815 is easier, and hubby prefers my keypad. We figured that if one of us had analog capabilties we'd be covered - but we have yet to see the "A" although we live in rural NE USA (there were NO towers before digital ones were introduced).

That rural Wisconsin thing is the dealmaker either way.... if you need trimode then the e815's luxuries are useless... if analog is a luxury you gotta weigh it against the ease of use.

;) I'm no help. am I? :D

3. LRando

LRando New Member

When people talk of "software updates" what is that exactly? Not the *228 thing verizon tells you to do? Is it something different? The reason I ask is that I have a vx6100 that gets bad RF in some places. Didn't know if there was some kind of software update I could try. This is my 2nd one. I am actually using my vx3200 again because of the bad RF on the 6100. Thanks.

4. airborne_zim

airborne_zim New Member

Dear jeaniesing,

Thanks for the reply. How is voice dialing different between the two?

I gotta tell you, I have become seriously addicted to this voice dialing thing and my bluetooth headset, much better than with my old StarTac trying to dial with one hand and the other on the wheel and my eyes looking everywhere but the road :ah:

Can you think of anything else that the E815 is much, much better at? I've heard the camera is better, and as far as mp3 playing -- I'll never use that!

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Zim

5. airborne_zim

airborne_zim New Member

LG vx6100

Dear LRando,

I made the mistake of getting my wife the vx6100 about 4 months ago. Everytime I call her I regret it. Her call reception is terrible. I think I'm going to call Verizon CS and see if I can trade-in or buy her another tri-mode phone, maybe a V710 :p

Sincerely,

Zim

6. LRando

LRando New Member

Airborne: Thanks for reply. I'd be interested to know how you make out. Normally Verizon has a 15 day trial period and will allow you to swap out once. I orignally got the vx5200. Ear volume was too low. Swapped for a Samsung ach-670. Well didn't know that was digital. Had an RF problem w/that one. Technically I should have been done, but Verizon let me swap it for the 6100 due to the fact no one notified me that the samsung was digital. That one had terrible RF. I swapped for a new 6100 hoping it was the phone. Nope, this one is just as bad. My vx3200 will have mostly 5-6 bars of RF. The 6100 will have 2-4 at the same time. My husband says he can hear me much better on the 3200 than the 6100. I'm gonna try giving them a call myself and see if I have ANY options left to me. Let me know how you make out!

7. jeaniesing

jeaniesing New Member

y'know... I don't know exactly! :laugh: but I do know that many of the original complaints were "bugs" in the software that no longer exist... My reading/research has implied that Motorola releases things ahead of the curve, but then frequently has to fix their mistakes. We've had our phones for 3ish months now and have no complaints other than those mentioned...

I did forget to say... if you're in one of those 10 Metropolitan areas Vcast is only on the 815 ;)... I'm WAY FAR from metropolitan :p

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  8. jeaniesing

jeaniesing New Member

Zim - I can say a series of commands to my phone without waiting from prompts "Call>Hubby Work" where hubby has to say "Call" (wait for prompt) "Jeanie Home"

And YES! the camera is FAR better... we've taken the same picture of our child at the same time and hubby said "Oh, send me that one, its better" for his wallpaper

I'm a big fan of bluetooth too ;) that wireless headset makes life SO uch easier - especially with a lil guy still in the hair-and-everything-else pulling age (almost 7 months ;))

9. airborne_zim

airborne_zim New Member

One more question :rolleyes:

Dear Jeaniesing,

Since you live in a rural area, how often do you encounter an area where you just can't send or receive because the E815 is digital?

My Verizon sales person :laugh: thinks that I'm being paranoid about having a tri-mode phone since "most" of Wisconsin is covered digitally.

The longer I keep the E815, the less I'm inclined to return it......unless some people out there have horror stories about no service because it's not tri-mode.

I guess I'm paranoid :blush:

Sincerely,

Zim

10. jeaniesing

jeaniesing New Member

truth is, unless I have an analog capable phone next to mine I really don't know when I'm incapable of making a call because of lack of digital signal ;)... BUT.... We haven't run into a situation yet where hubby has signal with his 710 and I don't... (another) ...BUT... I understand that analog towers are more prevalent as you move west... There are places where I cannot send/receive because the signal is either not strong enough, or a reflected signal (steep and numerous hills, narrow valleys - which I live in). I know that my phone holds a signal and a conversation through a stretch of valley in which my mom's samsung loses signal several times.

again... weigh the luxuries... Are those calls you might get in an analog-only area calls that cannot wait until you drive 10 miles further? Will 'getting your voicemail' instead of you be a detriment to your livelihood, or just a minor annoyance? ....'cause I like my phone and would recommend it to anyone :D

11. CDMARAZR

CDMARAZR New Member

It's Discontinued

:D Hi, To answer your question. The V710 is discontinued from Verizon Wireless, that is why they are basically giving it away. They want to get rid of the phone because it's problem after problem with the phone. www.phonescoop.com. The V710 had so many problems that Verizon is actually being sued over the phone because of disabling so many of the bluetooth features: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/footer/legalNotices/v710.jsp. Go with the E815 instead, it's much better.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  12. jeaniesing

jeaniesing New Member

You're confusing apples with oranges my friend... VZW is being sued over misleading advertising concerning bluetooth capabilities ;)

13. airborne_zim

airborne_zim New Member

:confused: There really should be an emoticon for massively indecisive :confused:

Dear Jeaniesing,

I guess that I will have to get off the fence and decide what I want more....newer and better "features" or the ol' tri-mode!

By the way can either the E815 or the V710 act as a modem for a pocket PC? That would be way cool and helpful to me.

Thanks for your advice.

Sincerely,

Zim

14. jeaniesing

jeaniesing New Member

I know you have to "hack" the phones for either to act as a PC modem... so out of the box? not a chance ;)

15. airborne_zim

airborne_zim New Member

Well I got the e815 and the strangest thing happened, I was able to use it as a modem for my PowerBook via a bluetooth connection without any trouble. Downloading my email wasn't too slow nor was some quick google searches. It was kind of neat.

When I asked Verizon if I should purchase a data plan, one customer rep said I could, and another said that I could not. The Verizon tech person said that the phone could not be used as a modem. I didn't contradict him. The third customer rep checked my account and said that nothing looked out of the ordinary regarding my data usage. I took this to mean don't go crazy using up a lot of kb and attract attention.

It seems that Verizon customer service does not know how to handle the data capabilities of the e815.

I don't plan on hacking the phone because I can use it as a modem in a pinch if need be and the bluetooth sync with the calendar and phone book on my PowerBook is really handy.

It seems like a great phone.

Zim

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?