1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Verizon FIOS retention plans

Discussion in 'FIOS TV' started by jdeg, Aug 31, 2013.

1. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

First, a little back story. I recently canceled my FIOS TV service, because to be honest, the price was high and I don't need TV anymore, especially since I can get 75% of what I watch through Netflix, Amazon, or the internet using Playon, and since the price was getting a little too high.

Today something happened that I didn't expect. A Verizon rep came to my door. Apparently they were targeting people in the area that had one or two Verizon services and were offering additional services for pretty good discounts. In my case, FIOS TV.

It turns out that I can get the FIOS TV service I had for the same price I'm paying now for internet and phone for 2 years AND a $100 Visa gift card. So, I'm basically getting FIOS TV w/ DVR for free and $100. Nice!

The trick to not letting the price go up after two years is to call them to get the current discounts. Unfortunately I didn't do that last time, which is why my bill was so high. But hey, this worked out even better!

Fortunately you can do something similar online. Go on over to http://www.verizonfios.com/ sign in, and see what discounts you can get by adding or upgrading a service.

› See More: Verizon FIOS retention plans
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. jdeg

jdeg Administrator Staff Member

One caveat I recently discovered: They slapped on a $70 "activation fee" split over 3 bills. This is obviously designed to hum under the radar. I previously did not see any mention of this on the new contract. I contacted billing and explained. They removed the fee for me!

I recommend you do the same if you find yourself with the same charge.

3. eddo

eddo New Member

If you dispute it normally they will drop the fee. It is sad that we as paying customers have to dispute hidden fees like this. I have learned the hard way (with other products) if you do not call about specials and promo's you will always get stuck with what I call the sucker bill.

4. Arborist

Arborist Member

Nice Jdeg, I wonder how many people got that reactivation fee and didn't call to get the charge taken off. I guess that's money in the bank right there! Glad it all worked out for you. We don't have FIOS in our area. :(

5. Cdog

Cdog New Member

That is really cool that they removed the fee for you. I have to say that, we called our cable company recently to just complain about their internet dropouts and they only gave us a an $8 credit on the account. I wish we had FIOS in our area too!

6. Alli

Alli Member

I think the "call and complain" my mother would tell me about growing up really does apply to just about any company out there. Right now many are faced with hardships and we just can not pay the insane prices some places want to charge, most have always been happy to give a discount when it can be applied to you no matter the type of account. I have only run into a few places that would not do this and many were small time places.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?