1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Verizon internet use on LG Dare

Discussion in 'LG Dare' started by ZeldaFan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ZeldaFan

ZeldaFan New Member

When using the web browser if I were to get an LG dare, how much would this cost me, or is it a set rate per month. It would be added to my families family plan 9.99 per month per line. Another 5-10 for texting. I just need to know how much the internet portion would cost me now. Thanks.

› See More: Verizon internet use on LG Dare
  2. ZeldaFan

ZeldaFan New Member

How much is 1.99 per mb really? Like say I surf the web for approx an hour every day. How much do you think that would cost. Its probobly hard to guess but if you could I would be grateful.
  3. ZeldaFan

ZeldaFan New Member

Thanks for all your help.
  4. aepple

aepple New Member

5. aepple

aepple New Member

The super moderator is 100% correct, but my post intention was... when it comes to cost and money out of ones pocket go to source/seller/provider. After purchasing the DARE I called customer service went over my minutes, service plans, and a over all synopsis of my usage for the past 6 months, and then I made a smart calculated decision my choice/options/plan containing internet, email, GPS, minutes, photo messaging, video messaging, texting, music, and web browsing.

Verizon offers many packages/plans, which seem to have a million options to fit ones needs. I spent 25 minutes on the phone with customer service and tech support talking about my 4 cell phones. Good luck
  6. Al22

Al22 New Member

Did you end up getting the Dare? If you did, how do you like it? Worth the money?
  7. Mark_Venture

Mark_Venture New Member

I know this is an old post.. but its not a question of IF they are on Nationwide... because to use the Dare (glyde or voyager too), you MUST BE on Nationwide...

More a question of If they are NOT on the natiowide plan, all lines of the family share will have to switch to the Nationwide, and then all lines need to be concerned with Data costs/plans.
  8. Trbomp5

Trbomp5 New Member

I have the dare on americas choice. I guess when they gave me the voyager, and then i switched to the dare, as replacements for my venus, they were supposed to change me to NW plan. (according to customer service) I said NO THANKS! and hung up. 2 months later still on americas choice with NO DATA charges")
  9. Mark_Venture

Mark_Venture New Member

You are one of the extremely FEW lucky souls in that situation...

When the Voyager came out.. there were one or two who somehow also retained AC...

Do NOT switch your phone out... because if you do, then try and go back to the dare... you will not be so lucky...
  10. jimspobox

jimspobox New Member

Why is a Nationwide Plan required for the Dare? What is the problem using AC? Did you have to add the data plan with the AC plan in order to use the Internet without extra charges?
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  11. Mark_Venture

Mark_Venture New Member

The answer we know for sure.. Because Verizon says so.

Most of the phones in Verizon's line up use WAP browsers to surf the net. These are less featured browsers, geared towards mobile devices. They are just for basic browsing on a bandwidth and memory limited device that has a "slow processor".

Because of its limits, the WAP browser uses less data.

On Americas Choice plans (AC/ACII), "data usage" was charged as air time minutes. To access Mobile web via Verizon's proxy cost you $5 per month, and the data used was billed per Airtime Minute. It was nice becuase most of us have "extra minutes" each month, plus unlimited Nights/Weekend minutes making access virtually free.

With the Voyager, Dare, Glyde, and ?? (there was one other which I forget at the moment), Verizon included a browser with HTML support. Verizon calls these phones "Enhanced Web Browsing Devices." (aka EWBD) While their browsers don't support all the features of a desktop browser (like Javascript, flash, shockwave, etc), it does give a better browsing experience... BUT it does use More Data than a WAP device.

Speculation has it that because the "EWBD's" can and will use more data, Verizon wants to make more money off them... So, the Nationwide Plans bill data used as $1.99 Per MB (rounded up to the next whole MB) no matter when its used unless you subscribe to the $15 per month Vcast Vpack.

Try switching to a EWBD (via My Account page and switching phones, ordering a phone/upgrade online or in the store).. and Verizon will force you to switch from your AC/ACII plan to a Nationwide plan.

Often times customer's weren't told by 800 CS or the in store rep that they were switching and only found out later, after looking at their bill. There have been those rare LUCKY few people who got to keep their AC or ACII plan, and have even checked their bill and account to be sure. Not sure how this happened... but it is EXTREMELY RARE...

In some markets, try upgrading to ANY Phone in the store, even non-EWBD, and you will be foced to switch to a Nationwide plan :(
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  12. jimspobox

jimspobox New Member

Thanks, that pretty much clears it up except for one thought. Could you still keep your AC plan if you purchased the Dare not from Verizon (like eBay)? Would a data plan be needed in addition to the AC plan?
  13. Mark_Venture

Mark_Venture New Member

Guess you missed the part where I said...
    Doesn't matter where you got the phone from, as soon as the ESN/MEID is identified as one of these EWBD's, you'll have to switch.
  14. Trbomp5

Trbomp5 New Member

Well..... this is my luck. I dropped my dare while riding my motorcycle. :hit: By the time i stopped and got to it, it had been run over....well ......alot.:(

I bought another dare at the store and talked my ass off to get to keep the AC plan. No luck.

If only a girl was working i could have flirted with.........:smart:

Now i'm one of the normal people who have to pay data. This is BS:flamemad:
  15. einstien59

einstien59 New Member

Does anyone know if the unlimited plan includes unlimited data transfer?
  16. aepple

aepple New Member

17. Trbomp5

Trbomp5 New Member

no. its unlimited talk $99

add the vpak for $15 now you have unlimited data

another $20 for unlimited text/pic

total $135.

Might as well get an iphone with their unlimited everything for $140 IMOP
  18. mjs020294

mjs020294 New Member

The new Connect plan includes unlimited data and mobile email. I recently upgraded from the Select plan and for the first two lines it only cost me $17 after discount.

We have four lines, two Connect and two Select: $122 a month(plus taxes). We have unlimited text/video/pic on all phones, and the two on Connect have unlimited data.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?