1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Verizon iPhone Release Date Set For January 2011, Report Claims

Discussion in 'alt.cellular.verizon' started by Jim_Higgins, Jun 29, 2010.

  1. Jim_Higgins

    Jim_Higgins Guest

    Nirvana in January 2011 :)

    Verizon iPhone Release Date Set For January 2011, Report Claims
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/29/verizon-iphone-release-co_n_629705.html

    Apple's iPhone is coming to Verizon in January 2011, according to a new
    report from Bloomberg, which cites "two people familiar with the plans."

    Bloomberg writes,

    The device will be available to customers in January, according to
    the people, who declined to be named because the information isn't
    public. Brenda Raney, a spokeswoman for Verizon Wireless, didn't
    immediately return a call seeking comment. Natalie Kerris, an Apple
    spokeswoman, and Peter Thonis, a Verizon Communications Inc. spokesman,
    declined to comment.

    The report does not address Apple's confirmation that it has a five-year
    iPhone-exclusivity deal with AT&T, which is not set to expire until 2010.

    An analyst cited by Bloomberg estimated that Apple could sell some 3
    million iPhones a quarter to Verizon subscribers, if the AT&T lost its
    exclusive rights to the iPhone.

    Business Insider speculates Verion could be behind the leak:

    We wouldn't be surprised if this was Verizon's doing, in an attempt
    to get people to wait before upgrading to the iPhone 4 and extending
    their AT&T contracts another two years. The carrier has a history of
    leaked information during sensitive times for its competitors.

    Earlier this month, a Digitimes post fueled new talk of a Verizon iPhone
    appearing later this year. Digitimes wrote that Pegatron, a Taiwanese
    manufacturer, had plans to ship an iPhone compatible with Verizon's CDMA
    network in the fourth quarter of 2010.


    --
    Service Guarantees Citizenship
     



    › See More: Verizon iPhone Release Date Set For January 2011, Report Claims
  2. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Jim_Higgins wrote on [Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:55:12 -0400]:
    > Nirvana in January 2011 :)
    >
    > Verizon iPhone Release Date Set For January 2011, Report Claims
    > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/29/verizon-iphone-release-co_n_629705.html
    >
    > Apple's iPhone is coming to Verizon in January 2011, according to a new
    > report from Bloomberg, which cites "two people familiar with the plans."


    So, no concrete information then

    > The report does not address Apple's confirmation that it has a five-year
    > iPhone-exclusivity deal with AT&T, which is not set to expire until 2010.


    It's already 2010...

    > An analyst cited by Bloomberg estimated that Apple could sell some 3
    > million iPhones a quarter to Verizon subscribers, if the AT&T lost its
    > exclusive rights to the iPhone.


    The AT&T?

    What the fuck crap journalism is this?

    >
    > Business Insider speculates Verion could be behind the leak:


    Verion?
     
  3. Don Schmidt

    Don Schmidt Guest

    This will be nice; then I will no longer be teased by our daughter who has
    an iPhone. :)

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA


    "Jim_Higgins" <gordian238@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:i0dmjg$v6b$1@news.eternal-september.org...
    > Nirvana in January 2011 :)
    >
    > Verizon iPhone Release Date Set For January 2011, Report Claims
    > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/29/verizon-iphone-release-co_n_629705.html
    >
    > Apple's iPhone is coming to Verizon in January 2011, according to a new
    > report from Bloomberg, which cites "two people familiar with the plans."
    >
    > Bloomberg writes,
    >
    > The device will be available to customers in January, according to the
    > people, who declined to be named because the information isn't public.
    > Brenda Raney, a spokeswoman for Verizon Wireless, didn't immediately
    > return a call seeking comment. Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, and
    > Peter Thonis, a Verizon Communications Inc. spokesman, declined to
    > comment.
    >
    > The report does not address Apple's confirmation that it has a five-year
    > iPhone-exclusivity deal with AT&T, which is not set to expire until 2010.
    >
    > An analyst cited by Bloomberg estimated that Apple could sell some 3
    > million iPhones a quarter to Verizon subscribers, if the AT&T lost its
    > exclusive rights to the iPhone.
    >
    > Business Insider speculates Verion could be behind the leak:
    >
    > We wouldn't be surprised if this was Verizon's doing, in an attempt to
    > get people to wait before upgrading to the iPhone 4 and extending their
    > AT&T contracts another two years. The carrier has a history of leaked
    > information during sensitive times for its competitors.
    >
    > Earlier this month, a Digitimes post fueled new talk of a Verizon iPhone
    > appearing later this year. Digitimes wrote that Pegatron, a Taiwanese
    > manufacturer, had plans to ship an iPhone compatible with Verizon's CDMA
    > network in the fourth quarter of 2010.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Service Guarantees Citizenship
     
  4. Harry 

    Harry  Guest

    Some Android phones are already at least competitive with the iPhone
    offerings, and it seems to be that the Androids are being developed
    faster and with more new features than the iPhones.

    Absent a really major breakthrough by Apple in the next six months, bu
    the time the iPhones get to Verizon (if they ever do), the iPhone will
    just be another phone.
     
  5. Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Harry ? said:

    > Some Android phones are already at least competitive with the iPhone
    > offerings, and it seems to be that the Androids are being developed
    > faster and with more new features than the iPhones.


    Yes and no. Most of the Droid phones are from HTC, and most of the
    improvements in each appear to be simply faster hardware.

    > Absent a really major breakthrough by Apple in the next six months, bu
    > the time the iPhones get to Verizon (if they ever do), the iPhone will
    > just be another phone.


    Then there are those who wouldn't touch an Android with an 11 foot
    pole, because it's from Google.

    Google makes their money off of other people's data. They acquire
    data, for free, then store it, mine it, and sell it. They track users
    and shove ads at them based on the tracking data and what else they
    know about them. And Google feeds ads to the Droid's device home
    screen. Note, not just while using the web browser, but ON THE PHONE'S
    HOME SCREEN.

    There is no (native) Android-to-desktop syncing. At least out-of-the-
    box, the user MUST be willing to trust Google with their personal data
    and upload it to Google servers. Then use Google's services to update
    and maintain their data, syncing the Android to Google, not the user's
    own computer.

    All phones have their drawbacks. It is simply a matter of choice as to
    which ones the user is willing to put up with. I am not willing to put
    up with these. I am willing to put up with those on the iPhone, and
    unless HP does something good with Palm by next Summer, I'll be looking
    for that iPhone on Verizon.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

    Tips for the Innocent Bystander: 28. If the Hero says "wait here," it
    really doesn't matter whether you obey him or not. If you stay, you'll
    be captured by the Evil Overlord's henchmen as soon as the Hero is out
    of earshot. If you tag along, you will be caught by the EO's henchmen
    as you stumble along.
     
  6. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote on [Fri, 02 Jul 2010 00:41:26 +0000]:
    > Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Harry ? said:
    >
    > Google makes their money off of other people's data. They acquire
    > data, for free, then store it, mine it, and sell it. They track users
    > and shove ads at them based on the tracking data and what else they
    > know about them. And Google feeds ads to the Droid's device home
    > screen. Note, not just while using the web browser, but ON THE PHONE'S
    > HOME SCREEN.


    That's funny, there's no google ad on my droid's homescreen.

    > There is no (native) Android-to-desktop syncing. At least out-of-the-
    > box, the user MUST be willing to trust Google with their personal data
    > and upload it to Google servers. Then use Google's services to update
    > and maintain their data, syncing the Android to Google, not the user's
    > own computer.


    You can use the verizon backup service if you really don't wanna use google


    As for Apple, do you really want to use a product from a company that tells
    you what they think you want and won't allow you to do many of the things
    you do want to do?
     
  7. Justin wrote:
    > Jeffrey Kaplan wrote on [Fri, 02 Jul 2010 00:41:26 +0000]:
    >> Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Harry ? said:
    >>
    >> Google makes their money off of other people's data. They acquire
    >> data, for free, then store it, mine it, and sell it. They track users
    >> and shove ads at them based on the tracking data and what else they
    >> know about them. And Google feeds ads to the Droid's device home
    >> screen. Note, not just while using the web browser, but ON THE PHONE'S
    >> HOME SCREEN.

    >
    > That's funny, there's no google ad on my droid's homescreen.
    >
    >> There is no (native) Android-to-desktop syncing. At least out-of-the-
    >> box, the user MUST be willing to trust Google with their personal data
    >> and upload it to Google servers. Then use Google's services to update
    >> and maintain their data, syncing the Android to Google, not the user's
    >> own computer.

    >
    > You can use the verizon backup service if you really don't wanna use google
    >
    >
    > As for Apple, do you really want to use a product from a company that tells
    > you what they think you want and won't allow you to do many of the things
    > you do want to do?


    Apple and its customers have always been a little strange!
     
  8. Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Justin said:

    > > Google makes their money off of other people's data. They acquire
    > > data, for free, then store it, mine it, and sell it. They track users
    > > and shove ads at them based on the tracking data and what else they
    > > know about them. And Google feeds ads to the Droid's device home
    > > screen. Note, not just while using the web browser, but ON THE PHONE'S
    > > HOME SCREEN.

    >
    > That's funny, there's no google ad on my droid's homescreen.


    Two out of three times I've played around with the Moto Droids on
    display at my local Verizon store, I've seen them pop up. And others
    I've talked to have confirmed that it happens.

    > > There is no (native) Android-to-desktop syncing. At least out-of-the-
    > > box, the user MUST be willing to trust Google with their personal data
    > > and upload it to Google servers. Then use Google's services to update
    > > and maintain their data, syncing the Android to Google, not the user's
    > > own computer.

    >
    > You can use the verizon backup service if you really don't wanna use google


    "Backup" does not in any way equate to "Sync".

    > As for Apple, do you really want to use a product from a company that tells
    > you what they think you want and won't allow you to do many of the things
    > you do want to do?


    Like I said, each has its own drawbacks. And /for me/ I used to have
    an iPhone, and the drawbacks that Apple put on it did not effect me. I
    do not use one now because it's an iPhone, I do not use one now because
    I dumped AT&T in favor of a network that wasn't failing me when and
    where I need it the most.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

    "Worst case of testosterone poisoning I've ever seen." (Lt. Cmdr.
    Ivanova, B5 "A Voice in the Wilderness II")
     
  9. Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Jeffrey Kaplan said:

    > Like I said, each has its own drawbacks. And /for me/ I used to have
    > an iPhone, and the drawbacks that Apple put on it did not effect me. I
    > do not use one now because it's an iPhone, I do not use one now because

    ^not

    "That should read "I do not use one now not because".

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #145.
    My dungeon cell decor will not feature exposed pipes. While they add
    to the gloomy atmosphere, they are good conductors of vibrations and a
    lot of prisoners know Morse code.
     

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.


Forgot your password?