1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Verizon Wireless billing trick, scam $40 "mistake"

Discussion in 'alt.cellular.verizon' started by Quick, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Proconsul

    Proconsul Guest

    "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message news:3RRGc.3092$4Z3.2998@lakeread02...
    | Proconsul wrote:
    | > "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:kQFGc.2154$4Z3.397@lakeread02...
    | > | Proconsul wrote:
    | > | > I didn't write the paragraph you're commenting on.....:)
    | > | >
    | > | > FWIW, Verizon's policy is clear, simple, direct, to the point and
    easily
    | > | > understood. There are those, however, who just must make a big deal
    out
    | > of
    | > | > nothing......
    | > | >
    | > | You didn't mention fair. A mugging is . . . "clear, simple, direct,
    to
    | > | the point and easily understood." Tom
    | >
    | > IMO, based on many years of dealing with Verizon and Airtouch before
    them,
    | > the policies ARE eminently fair....
    | >
    | > No "mugging" involved.....
    | >
    | > PC
    | >
    | >
    | I disagree. Tom

    I assume you have rational reasons - something other than the usual
    "sniping" one reads in this venue.....:)

    PC
     



    › See More: Verizon Wireless billing trick, scam $40 "mistake"
  2. Proconsul

    Proconsul Guest

    "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message news:3RRGc.3092$4Z3.2998@lakeread02...
    | Proconsul wrote:
    | > "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:kQFGc.2154$4Z3.397@lakeread02...
    | > | Proconsul wrote:
    | > | > I didn't write the paragraph you're commenting on.....:)
    | > | >
    | > | > FWIW, Verizon's policy is clear, simple, direct, to the point and
    easily
    | > | > understood. There are those, however, who just must make a big deal
    out
    | > of
    | > | > nothing......
    | > | >
    | > | You didn't mention fair. A mugging is . . . "clear, simple, direct,
    to
    | > | the point and easily understood." Tom
    | >
    | > IMO, based on many years of dealing with Verizon and Airtouch before
    them,
    | > the policies ARE eminently fair....
    | >
    | > No "mugging" involved.....
    | >
    | > PC
    | >
    | >
    | I disagree. Tom

    I assume you have rational reasons - something other than the usual
    "sniping" one reads in this venue.....:)

    PC
     
  3. Proconsul

    Proconsul Guest

    "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message news:3RRGc.3092$4Z3.2998@lakeread02...
    | Proconsul wrote:
    | > "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:kQFGc.2154$4Z3.397@lakeread02...
    | > | Proconsul wrote:
    | > | > I didn't write the paragraph you're commenting on.....:)
    | > | >
    | > | > FWIW, Verizon's policy is clear, simple, direct, to the point and
    easily
    | > | > understood. There are those, however, who just must make a big deal
    out
    | > of
    | > | > nothing......
    | > | >
    | > | You didn't mention fair. A mugging is . . . "clear, simple, direct,
    to
    | > | the point and easily understood." Tom
    | >
    | > IMO, based on many years of dealing with Verizon and Airtouch before
    them,
    | > the policies ARE eminently fair....
    | >
    | > No "mugging" involved.....
    | >
    | > PC
    | >
    | >
    | I disagree. Tom

    I assume you have rational reasons - something other than the usual
    "sniping" one reads in this venue.....:)

    PC
     
  4. Proconsul

    Proconsul Guest

    "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message news:3RRGc.3092$4Z3.2998@lakeread02...
    | Proconsul wrote:
    | > "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:kQFGc.2154$4Z3.397@lakeread02...
    | > | Proconsul wrote:
    | > | > I didn't write the paragraph you're commenting on.....:)
    | > | >
    | > | > FWIW, Verizon's policy is clear, simple, direct, to the point and
    easily
    | > | > understood. There are those, however, who just must make a big deal
    out
    | > of
    | > | > nothing......
    | > | >
    | > | You didn't mention fair. A mugging is . . . "clear, simple, direct,
    to
    | > | the point and easily understood." Tom
    | >
    | > IMO, based on many years of dealing with Verizon and Airtouch before
    them,
    | > the policies ARE eminently fair....
    | >
    | > No "mugging" involved.....
    | >
    | > PC
    | >
    | >
    | I disagree. Tom

    I assume you have rational reasons - something other than the usual
    "sniping" one reads in this venue.....:)

    PC
     
  5. Proconsul

    Proconsul Guest

    "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message news:3RRGc.3092$4Z3.2998@lakeread02...
    | Proconsul wrote:
    | > "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message
    news:kQFGc.2154$4Z3.397@lakeread02...
    | > | Proconsul wrote:
    | > | > I didn't write the paragraph you're commenting on.....:)
    | > | >
    | > | > FWIW, Verizon's policy is clear, simple, direct, to the point and
    easily
    | > | > understood. There are those, however, who just must make a big deal
    out
    | > of
    | > | > nothing......
    | > | >
    | > | You didn't mention fair. A mugging is . . . "clear, simple, direct,
    to
    | > | the point and easily understood." Tom
    | >
    | > IMO, based on many years of dealing with Verizon and Airtouch before
    them,
    | > the policies ARE eminently fair....
    | >
    | > No "mugging" involved.....
    | >
    | > PC
    | >
    | >
    | I disagree. Tom

    I assume you have rational reasons - something other than the usual
    "sniping" one reads in this venue.....:)

    PC
     
  6. "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    news:_4MGc.5982$876.1961@fed1read07...
    > All users are informed, billing dates, etc., are printed clearly on the
    > bills and spelled out in the contracts - in my experience, I've never made
    > any change to my account with being told specifically how it would affect
    > billing, prorations, etc....


    And how many of those changes do you have a copy of the contract for?
    Probably few, if any.

    And nowhere on the initial contract does it state what the billing date is
    or how the initial month is prorated- only that it will occur.
    >
    > I still can't see what all the complaining is about. It's a very simple
    > matter.


    Of course you can't- your love for Verizon clouds your vision to any
    contradictory point of view. Whatever they pay you is not enough for such a
    Pollyanna point of view.

    >
    > You are certainly free to think that another "way" might be better, but

    so
    > what? Verizon gets to run it's business the way they decide they want to

    run
    > it. This remains, IMO, a tempest in a teapot over nothing.....


    No they don't- they get to run it in accordance with appropriate laws and
    regulations. And do yourself a favor- check around on the other newsgroups
    and see if this topic is discussed with the other carriers to the degree it
    is here. It does not even qualify as an industry standard for billing.

    >
    > As for your contention that they do it on purpose for devious reasons

    along
    > with the allusion to customer service simply makes no sense....there is
    > simply no reason to suggest that Verizon, or any other carrier, does

    things
    > for such silly reasons....


    What doesn't make sense? It costs them more than the adjusted balance to
    fix this, and posts indicate they adjust off overages for this type of
    situation on a regular basis. What doesn't make sense is spending money to
    continually correct accounts- this is bad business. There is no allusion-
    it is reality.

    And there certainly is a reason- if they can overstate receivables based on
    this, the comapny looks better than it truly is. Of course, nobody would
    ever do something like this, except maybe Adelphia, Enron, Worldcom,
    Qwest...... Verizon certainly would be the first (not).


    >
    > PC
    >
    > "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > news:pL2dnVT4FK3c83bdRVn-hw@adelphia.com...
    > |
    > | "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > | news:_UAFc.8765$151.1221@fed1read02...
    > | >
    > |
    > | >
    > | > I also cannot see what's so "unusual" about what Verizon does in re
    > | billing
    > | > and proration - the method they use is as common as dirt, not all that
    > | > complicated and necessary when you consider how often many people

    change
    > | > plans, equipment, features, etc., to their service....
    > |
    > | What is unusual is that they do not consistantly inform the customer of
    > the
    > | date the bill is going to be generated, or the number of minutes that

    are
    > | available at no extra charge to the customer during that short billing
    > | cycle. It is also unusual because they are the only carrier I am aware

    of
    > | that builds accounts and bills in this manner.
    > |
    > | >
    > | > Verizon is not managed by thieves, crooks or stupid people. Their

    system
    > | is
    > | > fine. Their people, except for rare exceptions, do an excellent job

    and
    > | > their SERVICE is the best available.....I just don't see why so many

    are
    > | so
    > | > enraged about nothing.....
    > | >
    > |
    > | Their system is costing them money. Based on a rough industry average,
    > that
    > | call to Customer Service to fix the problem costs them about $8 in back
    > end
    > | costs, in addition to the revenue they write off through adjustment.
    > | Additionally, this billing method gives them ability to report an

    inflated
    > | receivable figure, and depending on how they write off the corresponding
    > | adjustment, they could be reporting it as bad debt. Nothing like having
    > | your cake and eating it, too.
    > |
    > |
    >
    >
     
  7. "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    news:_4MGc.5982$876.1961@fed1read07...
    > All users are informed, billing dates, etc., are printed clearly on the
    > bills and spelled out in the contracts - in my experience, I've never made
    > any change to my account with being told specifically how it would affect
    > billing, prorations, etc....


    And how many of those changes do you have a copy of the contract for?
    Probably few, if any.

    And nowhere on the initial contract does it state what the billing date is
    or how the initial month is prorated- only that it will occur.
    >
    > I still can't see what all the complaining is about. It's a very simple
    > matter.


    Of course you can't- your love for Verizon clouds your vision to any
    contradictory point of view. Whatever they pay you is not enough for such a
    Pollyanna point of view.

    >
    > You are certainly free to think that another "way" might be better, but

    so
    > what? Verizon gets to run it's business the way they decide they want to

    run
    > it. This remains, IMO, a tempest in a teapot over nothing.....


    No they don't- they get to run it in accordance with appropriate laws and
    regulations. And do yourself a favor- check around on the other newsgroups
    and see if this topic is discussed with the other carriers to the degree it
    is here. It does not even qualify as an industry standard for billing.

    >
    > As for your contention that they do it on purpose for devious reasons

    along
    > with the allusion to customer service simply makes no sense....there is
    > simply no reason to suggest that Verizon, or any other carrier, does

    things
    > for such silly reasons....


    What doesn't make sense? It costs them more than the adjusted balance to
    fix this, and posts indicate they adjust off overages for this type of
    situation on a regular basis. What doesn't make sense is spending money to
    continually correct accounts- this is bad business. There is no allusion-
    it is reality.

    And there certainly is a reason- if they can overstate receivables based on
    this, the comapny looks better than it truly is. Of course, nobody would
    ever do something like this, except maybe Adelphia, Enron, Worldcom,
    Qwest...... Verizon certainly would be the first (not).


    >
    > PC
    >
    > "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > news:pL2dnVT4FK3c83bdRVn-hw@adelphia.com...
    > |
    > | "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > | news:_UAFc.8765$151.1221@fed1read02...
    > | >
    > |
    > | >
    > | > I also cannot see what's so "unusual" about what Verizon does in re
    > | billing
    > | > and proration - the method they use is as common as dirt, not all that
    > | > complicated and necessary when you consider how often many people

    change
    > | > plans, equipment, features, etc., to their service....
    > |
    > | What is unusual is that they do not consistantly inform the customer of
    > the
    > | date the bill is going to be generated, or the number of minutes that

    are
    > | available at no extra charge to the customer during that short billing
    > | cycle. It is also unusual because they are the only carrier I am aware

    of
    > | that builds accounts and bills in this manner.
    > |
    > | >
    > | > Verizon is not managed by thieves, crooks or stupid people. Their

    system
    > | is
    > | > fine. Their people, except for rare exceptions, do an excellent job

    and
    > | > their SERVICE is the best available.....I just don't see why so many

    are
    > | so
    > | > enraged about nothing.....
    > | >
    > |
    > | Their system is costing them money. Based on a rough industry average,
    > that
    > | call to Customer Service to fix the problem costs them about $8 in back
    > end
    > | costs, in addition to the revenue they write off through adjustment.
    > | Additionally, this billing method gives them ability to report an

    inflated
    > | receivable figure, and depending on how they write off the corresponding
    > | adjustment, they could be reporting it as bad debt. Nothing like having
    > | your cake and eating it, too.
    > |
    > |
    >
    >
     
  8. "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    news:_4MGc.5982$876.1961@fed1read07...
    > All users are informed, billing dates, etc., are printed clearly on the
    > bills and spelled out in the contracts - in my experience, I've never made
    > any change to my account with being told specifically how it would affect
    > billing, prorations, etc....


    And how many of those changes do you have a copy of the contract for?
    Probably few, if any.

    And nowhere on the initial contract does it state what the billing date is
    or how the initial month is prorated- only that it will occur.
    >
    > I still can't see what all the complaining is about. It's a very simple
    > matter.


    Of course you can't- your love for Verizon clouds your vision to any
    contradictory point of view. Whatever they pay you is not enough for such a
    Pollyanna point of view.

    >
    > You are certainly free to think that another "way" might be better, but

    so
    > what? Verizon gets to run it's business the way they decide they want to

    run
    > it. This remains, IMO, a tempest in a teapot over nothing.....


    No they don't- they get to run it in accordance with appropriate laws and
    regulations. And do yourself a favor- check around on the other newsgroups
    and see if this topic is discussed with the other carriers to the degree it
    is here. It does not even qualify as an industry standard for billing.

    >
    > As for your contention that they do it on purpose for devious reasons

    along
    > with the allusion to customer service simply makes no sense....there is
    > simply no reason to suggest that Verizon, or any other carrier, does

    things
    > for such silly reasons....


    What doesn't make sense? It costs them more than the adjusted balance to
    fix this, and posts indicate they adjust off overages for this type of
    situation on a regular basis. What doesn't make sense is spending money to
    continually correct accounts- this is bad business. There is no allusion-
    it is reality.

    And there certainly is a reason- if they can overstate receivables based on
    this, the comapny looks better than it truly is. Of course, nobody would
    ever do something like this, except maybe Adelphia, Enron, Worldcom,
    Qwest...... Verizon certainly would be the first (not).


    >
    > PC
    >
    > "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > news:pL2dnVT4FK3c83bdRVn-hw@adelphia.com...
    > |
    > | "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > | news:_UAFc.8765$151.1221@fed1read02...
    > | >
    > |
    > | >
    > | > I also cannot see what's so "unusual" about what Verizon does in re
    > | billing
    > | > and proration - the method they use is as common as dirt, not all that
    > | > complicated and necessary when you consider how often many people

    change
    > | > plans, equipment, features, etc., to their service....
    > |
    > | What is unusual is that they do not consistantly inform the customer of
    > the
    > | date the bill is going to be generated, or the number of minutes that

    are
    > | available at no extra charge to the customer during that short billing
    > | cycle. It is also unusual because they are the only carrier I am aware

    of
    > | that builds accounts and bills in this manner.
    > |
    > | >
    > | > Verizon is not managed by thieves, crooks or stupid people. Their

    system
    > | is
    > | > fine. Their people, except for rare exceptions, do an excellent job

    and
    > | > their SERVICE is the best available.....I just don't see why so many

    are
    > | so
    > | > enraged about nothing.....
    > | >
    > |
    > | Their system is costing them money. Based on a rough industry average,
    > that
    > | call to Customer Service to fix the problem costs them about $8 in back
    > end
    > | costs, in addition to the revenue they write off through adjustment.
    > | Additionally, this billing method gives them ability to report an

    inflated
    > | receivable figure, and depending on how they write off the corresponding
    > | adjustment, they could be reporting it as bad debt. Nothing like having
    > | your cake and eating it, too.
    > |
    > |
    >
    >
     
  9. "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    news:_4MGc.5982$876.1961@fed1read07...
    > All users are informed, billing dates, etc., are printed clearly on the
    > bills and spelled out in the contracts - in my experience, I've never made
    > any change to my account with being told specifically how it would affect
    > billing, prorations, etc....


    And how many of those changes do you have a copy of the contract for?
    Probably few, if any.

    And nowhere on the initial contract does it state what the billing date is
    or how the initial month is prorated- only that it will occur.
    >
    > I still can't see what all the complaining is about. It's a very simple
    > matter.


    Of course you can't- your love for Verizon clouds your vision to any
    contradictory point of view. Whatever they pay you is not enough for such a
    Pollyanna point of view.

    >
    > You are certainly free to think that another "way" might be better, but

    so
    > what? Verizon gets to run it's business the way they decide they want to

    run
    > it. This remains, IMO, a tempest in a teapot over nothing.....


    No they don't- they get to run it in accordance with appropriate laws and
    regulations. And do yourself a favor- check around on the other newsgroups
    and see if this topic is discussed with the other carriers to the degree it
    is here. It does not even qualify as an industry standard for billing.

    >
    > As for your contention that they do it on purpose for devious reasons

    along
    > with the allusion to customer service simply makes no sense....there is
    > simply no reason to suggest that Verizon, or any other carrier, does

    things
    > for such silly reasons....


    What doesn't make sense? It costs them more than the adjusted balance to
    fix this, and posts indicate they adjust off overages for this type of
    situation on a regular basis. What doesn't make sense is spending money to
    continually correct accounts- this is bad business. There is no allusion-
    it is reality.

    And there certainly is a reason- if they can overstate receivables based on
    this, the comapny looks better than it truly is. Of course, nobody would
    ever do something like this, except maybe Adelphia, Enron, Worldcom,
    Qwest...... Verizon certainly would be the first (not).


    >
    > PC
    >
    > "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > news:pL2dnVT4FK3c83bdRVn-hw@adelphia.com...
    > |
    > | "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > | news:_UAFc.8765$151.1221@fed1read02...
    > | >
    > |
    > | >
    > | > I also cannot see what's so "unusual" about what Verizon does in re
    > | billing
    > | > and proration - the method they use is as common as dirt, not all that
    > | > complicated and necessary when you consider how often many people

    change
    > | > plans, equipment, features, etc., to their service....
    > |
    > | What is unusual is that they do not consistantly inform the customer of
    > the
    > | date the bill is going to be generated, or the number of minutes that

    are
    > | available at no extra charge to the customer during that short billing
    > | cycle. It is also unusual because they are the only carrier I am aware

    of
    > | that builds accounts and bills in this manner.
    > |
    > | >
    > | > Verizon is not managed by thieves, crooks or stupid people. Their

    system
    > | is
    > | > fine. Their people, except for rare exceptions, do an excellent job

    and
    > | > their SERVICE is the best available.....I just don't see why so many

    are
    > | so
    > | > enraged about nothing.....
    > | >
    > |
    > | Their system is costing them money. Based on a rough industry average,
    > that
    > | call to Customer Service to fix the problem costs them about $8 in back
    > end
    > | costs, in addition to the revenue they write off through adjustment.
    > | Additionally, this billing method gives them ability to report an

    inflated
    > | receivable figure, and depending on how they write off the corresponding
    > | adjustment, they could be reporting it as bad debt. Nothing like having
    > | your cake and eating it, too.
    > |
    > |
    >
    >
     
  10. "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    news:_4MGc.5982$876.1961@fed1read07...
    > All users are informed, billing dates, etc., are printed clearly on the
    > bills and spelled out in the contracts - in my experience, I've never made
    > any change to my account with being told specifically how it would affect
    > billing, prorations, etc....


    And how many of those changes do you have a copy of the contract for?
    Probably few, if any.

    And nowhere on the initial contract does it state what the billing date is
    or how the initial month is prorated- only that it will occur.
    >
    > I still can't see what all the complaining is about. It's a very simple
    > matter.


    Of course you can't- your love for Verizon clouds your vision to any
    contradictory point of view. Whatever they pay you is not enough for such a
    Pollyanna point of view.

    >
    > You are certainly free to think that another "way" might be better, but

    so
    > what? Verizon gets to run it's business the way they decide they want to

    run
    > it. This remains, IMO, a tempest in a teapot over nothing.....


    No they don't- they get to run it in accordance with appropriate laws and
    regulations. And do yourself a favor- check around on the other newsgroups
    and see if this topic is discussed with the other carriers to the degree it
    is here. It does not even qualify as an industry standard for billing.

    >
    > As for your contention that they do it on purpose for devious reasons

    along
    > with the allusion to customer service simply makes no sense....there is
    > simply no reason to suggest that Verizon, or any other carrier, does

    things
    > for such silly reasons....


    What doesn't make sense? It costs them more than the adjusted balance to
    fix this, and posts indicate they adjust off overages for this type of
    situation on a regular basis. What doesn't make sense is spending money to
    continually correct accounts- this is bad business. There is no allusion-
    it is reality.

    And there certainly is a reason- if they can overstate receivables based on
    this, the comapny looks better than it truly is. Of course, nobody would
    ever do something like this, except maybe Adelphia, Enron, Worldcom,
    Qwest...... Verizon certainly would be the first (not).


    >
    > PC
    >
    > "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > news:pL2dnVT4FK3c83bdRVn-hw@adelphia.com...
    > |
    > | "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > | news:_UAFc.8765$151.1221@fed1read02...
    > | >
    > |
    > | >
    > | > I also cannot see what's so "unusual" about what Verizon does in re
    > | billing
    > | > and proration - the method they use is as common as dirt, not all that
    > | > complicated and necessary when you consider how often many people

    change
    > | > plans, equipment, features, etc., to their service....
    > |
    > | What is unusual is that they do not consistantly inform the customer of
    > the
    > | date the bill is going to be generated, or the number of minutes that

    are
    > | available at no extra charge to the customer during that short billing
    > | cycle. It is also unusual because they are the only carrier I am aware

    of
    > | that builds accounts and bills in this manner.
    > |
    > | >
    > | > Verizon is not managed by thieves, crooks or stupid people. Their

    system
    > | is
    > | > fine. Their people, except for rare exceptions, do an excellent job

    and
    > | > their SERVICE is the best available.....I just don't see why so many

    are
    > | so
    > | > enraged about nothing.....
    > | >
    > |
    > | Their system is costing them money. Based on a rough industry average,
    > that
    > | call to Customer Service to fix the problem costs them about $8 in back
    > end
    > | costs, in addition to the revenue they write off through adjustment.
    > | Additionally, this billing method gives them ability to report an

    inflated
    > | receivable figure, and depending on how they write off the corresponding
    > | adjustment, they could be reporting it as bad debt. Nothing like having
    > | your cake and eating it, too.
    > |
    > |
    >
    >
     

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.


Forgot your password?