1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Very sad to be in Radio Shack Yesterday

Discussion in 'alt.cellular.verizon' started by SMS, Dec 29, 2012.

  1. On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 23:04:45 -0500, tlvp <mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:59:32 -0700, XS11E wrote:
    >
    >> ... I've read
    >> several books on my old BlackBerry using the Kindle app ...

    >
    >(OT) Help: where do you find the Kindle app for BlackBerry? I've been
    >looking fruitlessly for over a year for that app for BB PlayBook, and just
    >can't find one.
    >
    >Thanks and HNY, -- tlvp

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_92ttyg1he2_b
     



    › See More: Very sad to be in Radio Shack Yesterday
  2. On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 02:04:31 +0000 (UTC), Justin <nospam@insightbb.com>
    wrote:

    >nobody@nada.com wrote on [Sun, 06 Jan 2013 17:50:31 -0800]:
    >> On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 22:57:05 +0000 (UTC), Justin <nospam@insightbb.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>nobody@nada.com wrote on [Sat, 05 Jan 2013 13:27:01 -0800]:
    >>>> On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 20:32:08 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> One of the complaints I see about Verizon (and some others) is having
    >>>> to buy a data paln to get a smartphone. Page Plus offers a pretty good
    >>>> solution.
    >>>
    >>>Unless you want LTE

    >>
    >> And how many people really need LTE versus 3G? I think a big part of
    >> the difference is marketing.

    >
    >3G is markedly slower, IME.


    On benchmarks, yes, but I notice little difference in everyady use.
     
  3. AL

    AL Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 23:04:45 -0500, tlvp <mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:59:32 -0700, XS11E wrote:
    >
    >> ... I've read
    >> several books on my old BlackBerry using the Kindle app ...

    >
    >(OT) Help: where do you find the Kindle app for BlackBerry? I've been
    >looking fruitlessly for over a year for that app for BB PlayBook, and just
    >can't find one.


    I can't find the app anywhere. The latest forums I find on the subject
    say the BB PlayBook Kindle app has still not come out though it was
    promised eons ago. If XS11E can't help have you tried this:

    http://crackberry.com/how-get-amazon-kindle-your-blackberry-playbook

    Or possibly this:

    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44558/blackberry-playbook-to-kindle-fire
     
  4. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    AL <AL@AL4516.com> wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:59:32 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    > wrote:


    >>I have cataracts in both eyes that impact my vision

    >
    > Check on getting your cataracts fixed. I had mine removed from
    > both eyes and now with my lens implants can see (and read) better
    > than when I was young.


    Wish I could, I thought 2012 was the year and so did my eye doc but he
    says, "Not yet". Apparently Medicare has strict rules as to size,
    density, etc. before they'll pay. Maybe this year.

    >>A bigger screen and/or higher resolution is not necessary.

    >
    > You forgot to add "for me"... (A common malady hereabouts... ;)


    Didn't forget it, you can always increase type size if needed (and I do
    need to do so sometimes.)

    Let me rephrase, A bigger screen and/or higher resolution is not
    necessary, probably nice but not needed, you'd be amazed how fast your
    eyes will adjust.



    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  5. AL

    AL Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 08:59:25 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >AL <AL@AL4516.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:59:32 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    >> wrote:

    >
    >>>I have cataracts in both eyes that impact my vision

    >>
    >> Check on getting your cataracts fixed. I had mine removed from
    >> both eyes and now with my lens implants can see (and read) better
    >> than when I was young.

    >
    >Wish I could, I thought 2012 was the year and so did my eye doc but he
    >says, "Not yet". Apparently Medicare has strict rules as to size,
    >density, etc. before they'll pay. Maybe this year.


    OT alert---------------------------

    Check into a Medicare Advantage plan. That's where Medicare pays a
    private company to provide your health care. Then the contracted
    doctor/company makes the decision and not Medicare. In my case the
    doctor's criteria was when the cataracts started interfering with my
    normal life. Since my cataracts were causing white out during night
    driving he determined that was good enough and ok'ed replacing them on
    the first visit. $15 for the doc and $50 for each eye so it wasn't too
    bad financially either. Course you gotta like HMOs, not everyone does.
    Good Luck.

    >>>A bigger screen and/or higher resolution is not necessary.

    >>
    >> You forgot to add "for me"... (A common malady hereabouts... ;)

    >
    >Didn't forget it, you can always increase type size if needed (and I do
    >need to do so sometimes.)
    >
    >Let me rephrase, A bigger screen and/or higher resolution is not
    >necessary, probably nice but not needed,


    Still missing a "for me".

    What is "nice but not needed" for you is not necessarily that for me
    or others. I suppose if I liked reading a book off a ticker tape would
    that make a small screen nice but not needed? We all have our
    preferences... ;)

    >you'd be amazed how fast your eyes will adjust.


    Agreed. Having read tens of novels on my Palm Pilot's little green
    screens over the years (way before modern tablets or smartphones) I do
    know what you mean about adjusting to reading from a low resolution
    (320 x 320) small screen. Perhaps *for me* that's why I now enjoy
    jaggie free high quality sharp black on white text while reading on my
    modern tablet.
     
  6. tlvp

    tlvp Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 22:59:22 -0800, nobody@nada.com wrote:

    > On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 23:04:45 -0500, tlvp <mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:59:32 -0700, XS11E wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... I've read
    >>> several books on my old BlackBerry using the Kindle app ...

    >>
    >>(OT) Help: where do you find the Kindle app for BlackBerry? I've been
    >>looking fruitlessly for over a year for that app for BB PlayBook, and just
    >>can't find one.
    >>
    >>Thanks and HNY, -- tlvp

    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_92ttyg1he2_b


    Thank you! And yet still today Amazon's search facility comes up dry if I
    ask it [ Kindle for Playbook ] or [ Kindle for Blackberry Playbook ]. But I
    know better than to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I won't ask you how
    in the dickens you found that amazon page above, I'll just repeat: Thanks!

    Cheers, -- tlvp

    [Oh, wait. PS: A big "oops" here: the page you suggest recommends:

    > Visit amazon.com/kindlebb in your BlackBerry browser to download.


    Alas, when I did exactly that, what came up in my BB Playbook browser was
    .... you guessed it, essentially the page you suggest itself -- literally:

    : http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=klm_lnd_inst?docId=1000468551

    (well, maybe some of those "l" are really "I" -- sans serif makes them hard
    to tell apart). But Kindle must be available only for non-Playbook
    BlackBerries -- Blackberry Smartphones and non-Blackberry tablets :-{ .
    Drat!

    So: I'm still waiting for Kindle for PlayBook. TIA. And cheers, -- tlvp
    --
    Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.
     
  7. tlvp

    tlvp Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 01:36:04 -0700, AL wrote:

    > On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 23:04:45 -0500, tlvp <mPiOsUcB.EtLlLvEp@att.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:59:32 -0700, XS11E wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... I've read
    >>> several books on my old BlackBerry using the Kindle app ...

    >>
    >>(OT) Help: where do you find the Kindle app for BlackBerry? I've been
    >>looking fruitlessly for over a year for that app for BB PlayBook, and just
    >>can't find one.

    >
    > I can't find the app anywhere. The latest forums I find on the subject
    > say the BB PlayBook Kindle app has still not come out though it was
    > promised eons ago. If XS11E can't help have you tried this:
    >
    > http://crackberry.com/how-get-amazon-kindle-your-blackberry-playbook
    >
    > Or possibly this:
    >
    > http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44558/blackberry-playbook-to-kindle-fire


    Ah, now those look more promising ... I think :) . Thanks! Cheers, -- tlvp
    --
    Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.
     
  8. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    AL <AL@AL4516.com> wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 08:59:25 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>AL <AL@AL4516.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:59:32 -0700, XS11E
    >>> <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >>
    >>>>I have cataracts in both eyes that impact my vision
    >>>
    >>> Check on getting your cataracts fixed. I had mine removed from
    >>> both eyes and now with my lens implants can see (and read)
    >>> better than when I was young.

    >>
    >>Wish I could, I thought 2012 was the year and so did my eye doc
    >>but he says, "Not yet". Apparently Medicare has strict rules as
    >>to size, density, etc. before they'll pay. Maybe this year.

    >
    > OT alert---------------------------
    >
    > Check into a Medicare Advantage plan.


    Thats what I have but the doctor's decisions are guided by Medicare
    rules, the HMO can't do anything Medicare wouldn't pay for.


    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  9. AL

    AL Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:09:21 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >AL <AL@AL4516.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 08:59:25 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>AL <AL@AL4516.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:59:32 -0700, XS11E
    >>>> <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>>I have cataracts in both eyes that impact my vision
    >>>>
    >>>> Check on getting your cataracts fixed. I had mine removed from
    >>>> both eyes and now with my lens implants can see (and read)
    >>>> better than when I was young.
    >>>
    >>>Wish I could, I thought 2012 was the year and so did my eye doc
    >>>but he says, "Not yet". Apparently Medicare has strict rules as
    >>>to size, density, etc. before they'll pay. Maybe this year.

    >>
    >> OT alert---------------------------
    >>
    >> Check into a Medicare Advantage plan.

    >
    >Thats what I have but the doctor's decisions are guided by Medicare
    >rules, the HMO can't do anything Medicare wouldn't pay for.


    That decision was likely made by your HMO and not Medicare. I don't
    doubt that they said that but you may want to check further. Medicare
    only pays your HMO a *set amount* every month for you, so they don't
    really care how much your HMO spends on you. But your HMO does, since
    it's probably a for profit business like mine. Doctors are often under
    pressure to minimize services. If your cataracts don't bother your
    lifestyle yet then you're probably SOL on getting them fixed. But if
    they do then you might look into the complaint process for your HMO.
    Unfortunately you're stuck with your HMO for the year so that's the
    best I can suggest. However when change time comes around again, and
    you haven't had success, you might try another. I'm fortunate here to
    have my choice of several HMOs, and they often compete for my dollar.
    You should see my junk mail at rejoin time... ;)
     
  10. On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:21:58 -0700, AL <AL@AL4516.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:09:21 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>AL <AL@AL4516.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 08:59:25 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>AL <AL@AL4516.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:59:32 -0700, XS11E
    >>>>> <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>>I have cataracts in both eyes that impact my vision
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Check on getting your cataracts fixed. I had mine removed from
    >>>>> both eyes and now with my lens implants can see (and read)
    >>>>> better than when I was young.
    >>>>
    >>>>Wish I could, I thought 2012 was the year and so did my eye doc
    >>>>but he says, "Not yet". Apparently Medicare has strict rules as
    >>>>to size, density, etc. before they'll pay. Maybe this year.
    >>>
    >>> OT alert---------------------------
    >>>
    >>> Check into a Medicare Advantage plan.

    >>
    >>Thats what I have but the doctor's decisions are guided by Medicare
    >>rules, the HMO can't do anything Medicare wouldn't pay for.

    >
    >That decision was likely made by your HMO and not Medicare. I don't
    >doubt that they said that but you may want to check further. Medicare
    >only pays your HMO a *set amount* every month for you, so they don't
    >really care how much your HMO spends on you. But your HMO does, since
    >it's probably a for profit business like mine. Doctors are often under
    >pressure to minimize services. If your cataracts don't bother your
    >lifestyle yet then you're probably SOL on getting them fixed. But if
    >they do then you might look into the complaint process for your HMO.
    >Unfortunately you're stuck with your HMO for the year so that's the
    >best I can suggest. However when change time comes around again, and
    >you haven't had success, you might try another. I'm fortunate here to
    >have my choice of several HMOs, and they often compete for my dollar.
    >You should see my junk mail at rejoin time... ;)


    The problem with the HMO concept is you are giving people your money
    up frony and leaving it in their hands to decide how much of it to
    spend on services for you.
     
  11. AL

    AL Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:05:59 -0800, nobody@nada.com wrote:

    >The problem with the HMO concept is you are giving people your money
    >up frony and leaving it in their hands to decide how much of it to
    >spend on services for you.


    My hope is that my HMO never spends another dime on me... ;)
     
  12. On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 19:59:30 -0700, AL <AL@AL4516.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:05:59 -0800, nobody@nada.com wrote:
    >
    >>The problem with the HMO concept is you are giving people your money
    >>up frony and leaving it in their hands to decide how much of it to
    >>spend on services for you.

    >
    >My hope is that my HMO never spends another dime on me... ;)


    Of course. but it won't be your choice.
     

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.


Forgot your password?