1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best verizon phone for homebrew apps?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by cossackred, Feb 16, 2009.

1. cossackred

cossackred New Member

I have a voyager and can't get any apps up on it that I want. Is there a better phone that works with Verizon where I could download or get a bunch of good free application on it? gps? maps? games? homebrew etc etc?

› See More: What is the best verizon phone for homebrew apps?
  2. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

Re: what's the best verizon/LG phone out there for homebrew apps?

Verizon Wireless cripples nearly all of their devices. The only one that may be the most open is the Blackberry Storm...but it will also be limited to the VZApp Store...so the site you are trying to use will not work.

The site is probably for other wireless carriers. Verizon's phones are limited...you won't get past their blocked. Some people try and are successful...but I haven't seen it.

3. cossackred

cossackred New Member

Is there a way to use this phone through another provider and use apps like those on my phone? I just figure if I'm paying the $75+ per month, I should enjoy my phone.

4. nicknrm

nicknrm Super Moderator

No.

This is because the software has already been formatted with Verizon's policies of a closed app store. This wouldn't be possible. Also, most wireless carriers would be unable to accept a Verizon phone on their network. I know Sprint can't...and there aren't many other carriers that are considered as large as Verizon. Plus, you wouldn't want to leave the good network.

5. kttmf

kttmf New Member

I had a Q and could download/install apps to it without going through VZW's apps store.

But then u will have to pay more for ur because of the mandatory data plan charge.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?