1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

what is the difference between a 1yr and 2yr contract?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by palmero, Jan 31, 2005.

1. palmero

palmero New Member

In a previous thread someone had mentioned that I did not have to sign up for a 2yr contract with verizon and that I could sign a 1yr only. My question is what is the difference? Would I not be qualified for the rebates if I only signed a 1 yr ?..... My wife and I are almost done with our 2yr with verizon and they sd they would offer $100 towards 1 phone but said we would have to sign up for 2yrs!

Also if they offer us $100 off is that off the retail price of phone? I went to their website and had the prices but looked too low to be retail price (LG vx7000). So was wondering if anybody knew if verizons prices on their site show the retail? It says it's the 2yr contract price but the have 2 different prices per phone with an online rebate.

› See More: what is the difference between a 1yr and 2yr contract?
  2. G-man

G-man New Member

Well aside from the obvious... a 2 year contract is always the best deal... and I get $100 towards a new phone or a new phone every two years... in fact I HAVE to replace my phone every two years through Verizon... I believe it's for one year too... that's how I've been doing it... for one year only and they've provided me with a new phone each time... they do have all the prices listed on the site... here's the link to that page. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  3. G-man

G-man New Member

...and here's the link to the "New every two" program...
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?
    (link is in the upper left corner of the page)

...and did that link just give out sensitive information about my location?
    I do believe it did... oops! :confused: ah well... :blush: just change the location for your region... there might be different options depending on where you live.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  4. erwin 10-4

erwin 10-4 New Member

on verizon for two years contract you stuck with the phone and a service provider. on gsm network if you dont like the phone just buy a new phone and put the old sim card in it and you have diff phone but same provider. but if you don't like a your provider and want the phone just buy the sim card and you have a diff provider but same phone.

5. agentHibby

agentHibby New Member

You probably have made your choice, but here is the difference.

1 Year, you can get $50 or more off retail price of a wireless phone. You are eligible for another discount on a new wireless phone in 10 months from the day you buy your phone.

2 Year, You can get $100 or more off retail price of a wireless phone. You are eligible for another disount on a new wireless phone in 22 moths from the day you buy your phone.

If you choose to wait until you complete your contract and go month to month you can sometimes get even better deals on new wireless phones.

6. teleguy

teleguy New Member

On any carrier if you don't like the phone you can buy a new one, not just GSM carriers. You never have to wait 2 years to buy a new phone are you kidding? Verizon would sell you a new phone every week, if you wanted to.

Also GSM providers have Early Termination Fees same as CDMA carriers so if you leave before the contract term you may have to pay the ETF to your GSM carrier if you are in a contract.

For example --- from http://www.cingular.com/phones

"Phone Return Policy/Early Termination Fee: No early termination fee if service cancelled within 15 days of purchase; thereafter, in FL, GA, SC, NC, KY, TN, MS, LA, AL, NY, and applicable parts of IN and NJ, $240 prorated over the length of the service agreement, elsewhere, $150 flat rate. Independent agents may impose additional equipment-related charges."

Also both GSM and CDMA carriers offer No Contract (month-to-month) arrangements.

1 person likes this.
  7. mach330

mach330 New Member

ne2 is a much better plan and better credit.

8. JoeM

JoeM New Member

Phones are $50 more on a one year. 1 years do not qualify for the mail in rebates. When you sign a one year you must wait 10 months to recieve a discount on new equipment. on a two year you must wait 22 months to recieve a discount on equipment. The new every two only applies when you originally signed a two year contract and have finished 22 months of it. You will recieve up to $100 off a new phone. Either way you have 15 days to try it out. The main difference is that you must stay with the company for the full contract term before you can cancel without a penalty.

9. agentHibby

agentHibby New Member

With VZW to go month to month you only get anytime minutes of that plan. You don't get promotional plans like unlimited IN-Network (Mobile to Mobile) Night and Weekend. If you want Night and Weekend or IN-Network you have to pay $10 per 1000 minutes.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?