1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!

Which Way Would You Jump?

Discussion in 'alt.cellular.verizon' started by Scott in Aztlán, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. JRW

    JRW Guest

    Scott in Aztlán wrote:

    >>is that kinda like that onstar commercial where the moron calls and
    >>says "what does the white button do?" and the lady says "for handsfree
    >>calling" and he nearly has an orgasm on the phone cause he can push a
    >>button and talk?

    >
    >
    > Kinda, only it doesn't involve a monthly subscription fee. ;)
    >


    I haven't checked on that yet. Still trying to get the on-board
    dash-mounted GPS to work on boyfriend's Mercedes SUV. But sales
    rep said it was very expensive.



    › See More: Which Way Would You Jump?
  2. In alt.cellular.verizon Elmo P. Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
    > In article <veqdnQcSJKjQMCKiRVn-uA@lmi.net>,
    > Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
    >
    >> If it was me, and I was choosing between Cingular and AT&T, there would be
    >> no choice. I am 100% free of SBC now that I don't live in an area where they
    >> are the ILEC, and I would never do business with them as they are a bunch of
    >> thieving scumbags.

    >
    > And you think anyone else is better?


    Did I say that?

    > You're living in a dream world.
    >
    > Fact: you have to have telecom services. Fact: all telecom service
    > providers are thieving scumbags.


    I work on the Internet and used to do 40 hours/week of ISP tech
    support. I already know that.

    The other telcos, however, I don't have experience with, and some of them
    may be somewhat better. I have the extreme pleasure of having had SBC
    attempt to screw me personally, though.

    > Ergo, fact: you WILL be doing business, by definition, with thieving
    > scumbags. Period.


    Nah, I used to have a Northcoast PCS cellphone and they aren't owned by
    a telco. The company was, however, started by the principals of a cable
    company (NYC's Cablevision) and the typical cable idiocy seemed to transfer
    over to NCPCS, as they managed to completely hose certain parts of their
    network within a year. The Dolans can't figure out how to run a cable
    company, and apparently they haven't a clue about running a cellular carrier
    either.

    Your point is well taken. I do understand and agree with what you've said.
    I just harbor a special dislike for SBC. :)

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services
    22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
    Steve Sobol, Proprietor
    888.480.4NET (4638) * 248.724.4NET * sjsobol@JustThe.net
  3. Al Klein

    Al Klein Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:07:37 -0600, Steven J Sobol
    <sjsobol@JustThe.net> posted in alt.cellular.verizon:

    >The Dolans can't figure out how to run a cable
    >company, and apparently they haven't a clue about running a cellular carrier
    >either.


    But they sure know how to make money, don't they?
  4. In alt.cellular.verizon Al Klein <rukbat@pern.org> wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:07:37 -0600, Steven J Sobol
    > <sjsobol@JustThe.net> posted in alt.cellular.verizon:
    >
    >>The Dolans can't figure out how to run a cable
    >>company, and apparently they haven't a clue about running a cellular carrier
    >>either.

    >
    > But they sure know how to make money, don't they?


    Sure. When you have a monopoly on cable TV franchises in a given metro area,
    it's easy. They had most of Cleveland before deciding to shrink the company
    to the NYC area only; the suburbs for years, and then city-run North Coast
    Cable after the city decided to get out of the cable TV business.

    It should come as no surprise to any current or former Crapplevision
    customers that they did nothing whatsoever with their network. Nothing.

    Example: Cleveland is the 22nd largest city in the country, yet it was easier
    for me to get cable Internet here in a relatively rural part of Apple Valley,
    CA (population about 60,000 as opposed to a half-million in Cleveland)
    than it was to get cable Internet from Cablevision. Actually - they didn't
    have it, and refused to do a damned thing with their network in the late 90's
    because they knew they were going to be leaving town. Adelphia finally put
    cablemodems into Cleveland starting a couple years ago.

    Then Chucky Dolan's brother Larry bought the Indians, fired one of the best
    managers we've ever had, and is proceeding to drive the team into the ground
    because he's a moron too.

    And THEN, to bring this back on-topic, Northcoast PCS launched, and a year
    after they launched, I couldn't make calls downtown or on the near-west side
    on Interstate 90. "Oh, we have capacity problems, sir. It'll take about six
    months before you'll see any improvement."

    Screw that... I was carrying a Verizon phone anyhow (just used it for travel),
    so I switched to using the Verizon phone fulltime.

    Ok. Done ranting. ;)

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services
    22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950
    Steve Sobol, Proprietor
    888.480.4NET (4638) * 248.724.4NET * sjsobol@JustThe.net
  5. On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:57:56 -0800, Scott in Aztlán
    <slothkills@THEyahooOBVIOUS.com> wrote:

    >I'm a generally happy Verizon Wireless customer who's tired of waiting for
    >Verizon to get off its collective luddite ass and offer Bluetooth phones that
    >work with the Hands Free Link in my new Acura TL. So I'm planning to make the
    >jump to either AT&T or Cingular (or both, depending on how the acquisition deal
    >plays out :)
    >
    >My question to you is, which way would you jump? Would you go with AT&T or
    >Cingular? I'll most likely be picking up a T616 phone and a local/regional type
    >service plan.


    UPDATE: I signed up with Cingular today. My research, both on USENET and via
    polling friends and co-workers, indicated that Cingular's GSM coverage is
    probably better in the areas where I'll need it in SoCal. Cingular was also
    perfectly happy to sell me a T616 phone with a month-to-month service plan, plus
    I've heard that they will also give you the unlock codes if you buy an
    unsubsidized phone (although I have not yet tested this theory). So far so good
    on the coverage, and the phone pairs and works beautifully with the Bluetooth
    Hands Free Link in my Acura TL. ;)

    Thanks to everyone who offered their advice and assistance, I really appreciate
    your input.

    --
    http://www.geocities.com/slothkills/

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.


Forgot your password?