1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

Why is changing/upgrading so confusing?

Discussion in 'General Verizon Service' started by Crash11, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Crash11

Crash11 New Member

Please help me understand the best approach to this situation.

My wife, her mother, and her father are all on a family share plan together. They are all up for new phones right now. They currently only have the 700 minute plan with no texting or data. What we want to do is add myself to their plan and upgrade my wife to a data plan so she can get a smart phone. So far this is straightforward, but here's where it gets tricky. We also want to make me the account holder because I get the federal employee discount, but we want my wife to have the primary number so the discount is applied to the most costly line. Lastly, my wife doesn't know exactly which phone she wants to go with yet for her new smart phone, but she does have a $50 credit available to her from Verizon. However, I'm noticing that places like Dell Mobility and Amazon Wireless offer lower prices than Verizon for phones. Does that $50 credit only work through Verizon?

The customer service rep for Verizon told me the best way to do this would be to go into a Verizon store and have the 3 current members all sign "Assumption of Liability" forms. Apparently this allows us to change the account holder and they keep their numbers. Then, while we're at it we put the account in my name (I have no verizon service at this time) and we change the plan such that my wife's number is the primary number. At this point we haven't done anything to commit us to a new 24-month commitment right? Then I was told my the rep. that they would offer a deal where they would waive the $9.99 extra line fee if my wife would sign up for a $29.99 data plan, but will this work if she is the primary number? After all of that, I go online and add a 4th line to the account for myself. I purchase a phone and get the activation charge waived because I did it online. Then I also apply my federal employee discount.

First of all, does this sound do-able, and if so, what is the best approach? I'm hoping we can get my wife a smart phone through Amazon or Dell because they are so much cheaper, but I'm worried that not working directly with Verizon might screw us over.

› See More: Why is changing/upgrading so confusing?
  2. cybiko123

cybiko123 Active Member

I agree with most of what Customer Service told you.

An Assumption of Liability will put the account in your name (this is the same as saying you are the account holder; they are not two separate concepts as it appears Customer Service said). One thing to note, though, is that you might be required to extend the primary line's contract by a year. Your mileage may vary.

And yes, you can make your wife's line the primary. It can happen before or after the Assumption of Liability.

From what it sounds like, the rep would waive the $9.99 monthly access charge on your wife's line if she signed up for the unlimited data plan. If she were to become the primary line, they may waive one of the other $9.99 charges (either yours or one of your inlaws'), but may not. You should check this beforehand.

Finally, yes, you can go online and purchase your phone. I would be wary of sites like Amazon, not due to reputation, but because they often have terms stating that you must keep your plan as is for X number of months or pay a hefty fee. Double-check before you commit to anything.

Let me know if anything is confusing or doesn't work.

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.

Forgot your password?