1. Welcome to Verizon Forums - the unofficial Verizon community! Have a question about Verizon? Click HERE to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Expecting Cell Phone Forums? We recently moved Verizon specific content to VerizonForums.com. If you previously had an account on CPF, it has been transferred!
    Dismiss Notice

One Good Reason?

Discussion in 'alt.cellular.verizon' started by Nextel Rocks, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. Nextel Rocks

    Nextel Rocks Guest

    Can somebody PLEASE give me at least one good reason why I should switch
    from NexTel to Verizon? Will Verizon ever be able to compare to NexTel in
    sound quality with their PTT. And what gives with the expensive $59.95 per
    mo? They would draw more NexTel customers if their plans were more
    competitive in price. Get a GRIP VZW!
     



    › See More: One Good Reason?
  2. GandalfSC

    GandalfSC Guest

    "Nextel Rocks" <rocks@rocks.com> wrote in message
    news:rG-dncexHdrsN_aiU-KYvw@comcast.com...
    > Can somebody PLEASE give me at least one good reason why I should switch
    > from NexTel to Verizon? Will Verizon ever be able to compare to NexTel in
    > sound quality with their PTT. And what gives with the expensive $59.95

    per
    > mo? They would draw more NexTel customers if their plans were more
    > competitive in price. Get a GRIP VZW!
    >
    >


    Check these out. The first plan by VZW compares to the third plan by Nextel
    in the
    Nextel Instant Connect Plans


    http://www.verizonwireless.com/ics/...06178&p_plan_category_id=29640&p_section=SHOP

    http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/Action/EnterZipCode

    --
    GandalfSC
    --
    Scanned by Norton Anti-Virus
    And deemed herewith Virus Free


    begin 666 Spacer.gif
    K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
    `
    end
     
  3. Larry W4CSC

    Larry W4CSC Guest

    If Nextel covers the area you need to use its phones in, there is no
    reason to move. INSIDE Nextel's service area, it's far superior to
    VZW's PTT which is a cluged up mess of data-over-cellular-network
    crap. Trunked radio systems will always work better for PTT.

    However, Nextel across the planet is confined to Nextel's tiny
    footprint, compared to the huge number of systems VZW has bought up
    from all kinds of carriers. VZW works in the country, where I have to
    work. Nextel has no presence there in my area, only cities and
    interstates. 2-3 miles off the interstate and service stops. VZW has
    AMPS analog celular service on a mature cellular system with a large
    footprint in the country IF, as I do, you have a powerful 3W AMPS
    phone to maximize its usefulness. Toy phones on CDMA with 200mw
    peanut whistle transmitters and tiny antennas only work about 2-3
    miles, tops, LESS IN THE TREES. Country towers are 10 miles apart,
    made for the old AMPS carphones.

    May I ask why, other than the walkie talkie novelty playing cop, you
    would want half-duplex, one-sided PTT....especially if UNLIMITED, full
    duplex, Mobile-to-Mobile with cellular privacy is available at less
    than half price?

    I alert this because in Charleston, SC, Alltel is offering a plan with
    700 anytime minutes in SC and NC to phones, UNLIMITED M2M between
    Alltel phones inside SC/NC service area, free nationwide long
    distance, 100 anytime minutes in all 50 states for traveling, all the
    usual 3way, call waiting, call forwarding, voicemail, no answer
    transfer, etc., for only $39.95/mo! That's a helluva deal if you use
    Alltel phones between your key people on M2M all day. Sure a better
    deal than PTT on Nextel which is very pricey in comparison!

    The stock market analysts are telling us to all hang onto our wallets
    UNTIL number portability causes them all to start cutting each others'
    throats in pricing and plans, trying to prevent the churning they all
    deserve. These analysts are warning the stockholders to expect a big
    revenue cut because of the promotions. I agree.....Sit tight until
    number portability starts the bidding wars sure to follow before
    deciding on any new purchases of service or equipment......



    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:16:20 -0400, "Nextel Rocks" <rocks@rocks.com>
    wrote:

    >Can somebody PLEASE give me at least one good reason why I should switch
    >from NexTel to Verizon? Will Verizon ever be able to compare to NexTel in
    >sound quality with their PTT. And what gives with the expensive $59.95 per
    >mo? They would draw more NexTel customers if their plans were more
    >competitive in price. Get a GRIP VZW!
    >
    >



    Larry W4CSC

    3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
    gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
    conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
     
  4. Male Bomb

    Male Bomb Guest


    > The stock market analysts are telling us to all hang onto our wallets
    > UNTIL number portability causes them all to start cutting each others'
    > throats in pricing and plans, trying to prevent the churning they all
    > deserve. These analysts are warning the stockholders to expect a big
    > revenue cut because of the promotions. I agree.....Sit tight until
    > number portability starts the bidding wars sure to follow before
    > deciding on any new purchases of service or equipment......


    You have a link to this? MB
    , right?

    [posted via phonescoop.com]
     
  5. fondoo

    fondoo Guest

    I believe its national coverate..

    "Nextel Rocks" <rocks@rocks.com> wrote in message
    news:rG-dncexHdrsN_aiU-KYvw@comcast.com...
    > Can somebody PLEASE give me at least one good reason why I should switch
    > from NexTel to Verizon? Will Verizon ever be able to compare to NexTel in
    > sound quality with their PTT. And what gives with the expensive $59.95

    per
    > mo? They would draw more NexTel customers if their plans were more
    > competitive in price. Get a GRIP VZW!
    >
    >
     
  6. John Eckart

    John Eckart Guest

    Looking at the highest plans you can get...
    Verizon: 3200 minutes for $219.99.
    Nextel: Unlimited minutes for $199.99.
    Decisions, decisions...

    "GandalfSC" <gandalf@blahblah.com> wrote in message =
    news:6pPab.127609$7G2.21700@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    > "Nextel Rocks" <rocks@rocks.com> wrote in message
    > news:rG-dncexHdrsN_aiU-KYvw@comcast.com...
    > > Can somebody PLEASE give me at least one good reason why I should =

    switch
    > > from NexTel to Verizon? Will Verizon ever be able to compare to =

    NexTel in
    > > sound quality with their PTT. And what gives with the expensive =

    $59.95
    > per
    > > mo? They would draw more NexTel customers if their plans were more
    > > competitive in price. Get a GRIP VZW!
    > >
    > >

    >=20
    > Check these out. The first plan by VZW compares to the third plan by =

    Nextel
    > in the
    > Nextel Instant Connect Plans
    >=20
    >=20
    > =

    http://www.verizonwireless.com/ics/plsql/pf_plan_detail.intro?p_hdr_id=3D=
    164506178&p_plan_category_id=3D29640&p_section=3DSHOP
    >=20
    > http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/Action/EnterZipCode
    >=20
    > --=20
    > GandalfSC
    > --
    > Scanned by Norton Anti-Virus
    > And deemed herewith Virus Free
    >=20
    >=20
    >
     
  7. Larry W4CSC

    Larry W4CSC Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:21:01 -0000, malebomb@comcast.net (Male Bomb)
    wrote:

    >
    >> The stock market analysts are telling us to all hang onto our wallets
    >> UNTIL number portability causes them all to start cutting each others'
    >> throats in pricing and plans, trying to prevent the churning they all
    >> deserve. These analysts are warning the stockholders to expect a big
    >> revenue cut because of the promotions. I agree.....Sit tight until
    >> number portability starts the bidding wars sure to follow before
    >> deciding on any new purchases of service or equipment......

    >
    >You have a link to this? MB
    >, right?
    >

    Switch to Channel 36....CnnFn. They were discussing it on TV.....



    Larry W4CSC

    3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
    gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
    conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
     
  8. Male Bomb

    Male Bomb Guest

    OK just as I thought... MB

    nospam@home.com (Larry W4CSC) wrote in article
    <3f6cc459.498491523@news.knology.net>:
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:21:01 -0000, malebomb@comcast.net (Male Bomb)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >> The stock market analysts are telling us to all hang onto our wallets
    > >> UNTIL number portability causes them all to start cutting each others'
    > >> throats in pricing and plans, trying to prevent the churning they all
    > >> deserve. These analysts are warning the stockholders to expect a big
    > >> revenue cut because of the promotions. I agree.....Sit tight until
    > >> number portability starts the bidding wars sure to follow before
    > >> deciding on any new purchases of service or equipment......

    > >
    > >You have a link to this? MB
    > >, right?
    > >

    > Switch to Channel 36....CnnFn. They were discussing it on TV.....
    >
    >
    >
    > Larry W4CSC
    >
    > 3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
    > gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
    > conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?


    [posted via phonescoop.com]
     
  9. David S

    David S Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:04:26 GMT, nospam@home.com (Larry W4CSC) chose to
    add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:16:20 -0400, "Nextel Rocks" <rocks@rocks.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Can somebody PLEASE give me at least one good reason why I should switch
    >>from NexTel to Verizon? Will Verizon ever be able to compare to NexTel in
    >>sound quality with their PTT. And what gives with the expensive $59.95 per
    >>mo? They would draw more NexTel customers if their plans were more
    >>competitive in price. Get a GRIP VZW!

    >
    >May I ask why, other than the walkie talkie novelty playing cop, you
    >would want half-duplex, one-sided PTT....especially if UNLIMITED, full
    >duplex, Mobile-to-Mobile with cellular privacy is available at less
    >than half price?
    >
    >I alert this because in Charleston, SC, Alltel is offering a plan with
    >700 anytime minutes in SC and NC to phones, UNLIMITED M2M between
    >Alltel phones inside SC/NC service area, free nationwide long
    >distance, 100 anytime minutes in all 50 states for traveling, all the
    >usual 3way, call waiting, call forwarding, voicemail, no answer
    >transfer, etc., for only $39.95/mo! That's a helluva deal if you use
    >Alltel phones between your key people on M2M all day. Sure a better
    >deal than PTT on Nextel which is very pricey in comparison!


    May I ask what kind of math you use wherein 39.95 is less than half of
    59.95?

    David Streeter, "an internet god" -- Dave Barry
    --
    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    Expect a train on ANY track at ANY time.
    "I know how France can be: the wine, the cheese, a little Jerry Lewis in
    the night, la vie sur la [something]..." - Joshua Nankin
     
  10. Larry W4CSC

    Larry W4CSC Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:08:19 GMT, David S <dwstreeter@att.net> wrote:

    >
    >May I ask what kind of math you use wherein 39.95 is less than half of
    >59.95?
    >

    Oh, sorry....That's "Marketing Math".....always involves pricing. I
    watch too much TV....(c;



    Larry W4CSC

    3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
    gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
    conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
     
  11. Stanley settled back into the couch, and
    Larry W4CSC <nospam@home.com> said to him:
    > However, Nextel across the planet is confined to Nextel's tiny
    > footprint, compared to the huge number of systems VZW has bought up
    > from all kinds of carriers. VZW works in the country, where I have to
    > work. Nextel has no presence there in my area, only cities and
    > interstates. 2-3 miles off the interstate and service stops. VZW has
    > AMPS analog celular service on a mature cellular system with a large
    > footprint in the country IF, as I do, you have a powerful 3W AMPS
    > phone to maximize its usefulness. Toy phones on CDMA with 200mw
    > peanut whistle transmitters and tiny antennas only work about 2-3
    > miles, tops, LESS IN THE TREES. Country towers are 10 miles apart,
    > made for the old AMPS carphones.


    Which will cease to work when the carriers decommission the networks, here in
    another couple of years. I wonder what OnStar is going to do...

    Cheers,
    -- jra
    --
    Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
    Member of the Technical Staff Baylink
    The Suncoast Freenet The Things I Think
    Tampa Bay, Florida http://baylink.pitas.com +1 727 647 1274

    God, unlike Anya, is fond of bunnies. -- Chelsea Christenson
     
  12. Ray Dios

    Ray Dios Guest

    Forget PTT, that is trivial, you don't PTT when calling 911!
    COVERAGE should be the foremost thing on anyone's mind when contracting with
    a cell phone carrier. Remember, low rates and promotions / free phones tend
    to cloud ones ability to reason when shopping for service. (Sprint and other
    carriers other than Verizon, Nextel,Cingular and AT$T are good at this)
    Your families lives could depend on it !
    If you have a wife and children, shouldn't they should be equipped with a
    phone that has the best coverage in the US?
     
  13. Ray Dios wrote:
    > Forget PTT, that is trivial, you don't PTT when calling 911!
    > COVERAGE should be the foremost thing on anyone's mind when contracting with
    > a cell phone carrier. Remember, low rates and promotions / free phones tend
    > to cloud ones ability to reason when shopping for service. (Sprint and other
    > carriers other than Verizon, Nextel,Cingular and AT$T are good at this)
    > Your families lives could depend on it !
    > If you have a wife and children, shouldn't they should be equipped with a
    > phone that has the best coverage in the US?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    Would you say PTT is more trivial than a camera phone?
     
  14. I agree .. free phones sound good .. but service is what matters and
    hands down verizon offers best service network .. and cust service..

    --
    80% of success is showing up!-- Woody Allen


    Scott Stephenson <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote in article
    <8PNbb.1546$qK1.1628382@news2.news.adelphia.net>:
    > Ray Dios wrote:
    > > Forget PTT, that is trivial, you don't PTT when calling 911!
    > > COVERAGE should be the foremost thing on anyone's mind when contracting with
    > > a cell phone carrier. Remember, low rates and promotions / free phones tend
    > > to cloud ones ability to reason when shopping for service. (Sprint and other
    > > carriers other than Verizon, Nextel,Cingular and AT$T are good at this)
    > > Your families lives could depend on it !
    > > If you have a wife and children, shouldn't they should be equipped with a
    > > phone that has the best coverage in the US?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >

    > Would you say PTT is more trivial than a camera phone?
    >


    [posted via phonescoop.com]
     
  15. Bravo .. finally someone not pinching pennies to get a bunch of minuttes
    u will not be able to use ... I had cingular .. sprint .. and even
    wandered over to tmobile .. but hands down Verizon has best .. customer
    service and network coverage .. it may be expensive but you get what u
    pay for ... and me personally i would rather have a phone that works in
    97% of the areas I travel with 400 mins than a phone like tmobile where
    when off there network it becomes a paperweight! (thats how they can
    guarantee no rmng charges!)

    Musiq143

    --
    80% of success is showing up!-- Woody Allen
    **********************************
    > Ray Dios wrote:
    > > Forget PTT, that is trivial, you don't PTT when calling 911!
    > > COVERAGE should be the foremost thing on anyone's mind when contracting with
    > > a cell phone carrier. Remember, low rates and promotions / free phones tend
    > > to cloud ones ability to reason when shopping for service. (Sprint and other
    > > carriers other than Verizon, Nextel,Cingular and AT$T are good at this)
    > > Your families lives could depend on it !
    > > If you have a wife and children, shouldn't they should be equipped with a
    > > phone that has the best coverage in the US?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >

    > Would you say PTT is more trivial than a camera phone?
    >


    [posted via phonescoop.com]
     
  16. Phill.

    Phill. Guest

    > Ray Dios wrote:

    > > > If you have a wife and children, shouldn't they should be equipped with a
    > > > phone that has the best coverage in the US?




    If ANY of the Carriers gave out maps that accurately showed their true
    coverage then customers could in fact judge on that basis.

    Maps are so overly optimistic (drawn by marketing folks) that it makes
    Verizon's misleading "can you hear me now?" campaign a big success.
     
  17. Phill.

    Phill. Guest

    In article <vn12btdl1kqj52@corp.supernews.com>,
    my_heartbeat@yahoo.com (monica mitchell) wrote:

    > I agree .. free phones sound good .. but service is what matters and
    > hands down verizon offers best service network .. and cust service..



    In your neighborhood, perhaps. In other areas, maybe not.
     
  18. Ray Dios

    Ray Dios Guest

    No.
    Ptt is a good time saver. I loved it when I had Nextel but I didn't need it.
     
  19. Ray Dios

    Ray Dios Guest

    Every system has it's weaknesses.
    In my office building in Ft. Lauderdale, no one, not even Nextel customers
    can call out while inside. But the VZW users can. I am sure it is the other
    way around with other carriers, in other locations but I would NEVER have a
    phone service that couldn't roam when out of it's coverage area. Nextel
    users should think about this when they rely on their Nextel phone while on
    a trip! Nextel phones do not roam!
     
  20. Ray Dios

    Ray Dios Guest

    Poop!
    Their all that way. Every company has an ad campaign.
     

Welcome to VerizonForums!

Unfortunately you can't reply until you log in or sign up.


Forgot your password?